2007 Nissan Altima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Altima:

2007 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 132016

Altima

Cvt transmission falure with no signs of anything wrong while drive down the road. Had to get the car towed home now I don't know how I going to get it fixed bc of the cost of repair

- Dallas, GA, USA

Aug 112016

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. While driving various speeds, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle overheated and the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cvt transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Northville, MI, USA

Aug 202016

Altima

On vacation about 300 miles from home going up a hill when lost power was able to get to side or road only to see a pile of smoke after look found transmission fluid ever ware was afraid it would catch fire was not able to drive car after that had car towed the was told transmission was bad and was cover under the add warainty but we are 175 on the back order list and it would take 30 to 40 days to get part

- Howell, NJ, USA

Mar 282016

Altima

Took road trip car stalled while on hwy. Stared to ride in cruise control and cruise control got stuck and car stalled again.check eng light said transmission sensor. Car restart drove some more then car stalled again. Car would not accelerate or go passed 20 mph. Took to mechanic they worked on my car for 4 months. Still do not have my car.

- Newark, NJ, USA

May 172016

Altima

Vehicle lacks sufficient ability to move forward following an emergency hard braking event (where the wheels lock up; I do not have ABS). Once the car comes to a complete stop, it feels like it has no power to move forward, pressing the accelerator to the floor does little to help. It seems like the cvt stays in whatever high gear it was when I hit the brakes. I believe this constitutes a critical safety issue because the vehicle is now essentially blocking traffic, the driver is unable to get out of harms way/moving traffic. I have experienced this twice now, both within city limits <=45 mph. The only way I am able to get the car moving again is to stop/start the engine or put transmission in park (P) then drive (D) to get the cvt to "reset". shifting into neutral (N) then drive (D) does not help. I have brought this to the dealer's attention and they say there are no recalls and no error codes reported via obdii.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Feb 122016

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of engine power. The engine still operated, but the vehicle would not accelerate past 5 mph. In addition, there was an abnormal sulfur smell once the vehicle accelerated over 5 mph. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the catalytic converter and transmission malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 211,000.

- Opp, AL, USA

Dec 232015

Altima

I have had all of the issues concerning power with transmission as others and am told it is an expensive fix that all 07 Altima have. Transmission should be recalled. I do all regular maintenance on my vehicle. I can't afford a new transmission.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jan 252016

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. While at a stop light, the vehicle began to jerk and independently accelerated. The contact had to depress the brake pedal to stop the vehicle from moving forward. In addition, upon inspection, there was oil in the radiator. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the motor and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Feb 012015

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. While driving at 20 mph, there was a noise coming from the front driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Feb 162011

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate past approximately 30 mph. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing, but the failure was not diagnosed. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled and would not restart after several attempts. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Cherry Valley , IL, USA

May 032011

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle used with an (Nissan certified) extended warranty with approximately 25,000 miles in 2010. I have had the automatic cvt transmission replaced (under warranty---cvt replaced with new transaxle assembly) on three separate occasions between 2011 and 2013. In early 2013, ross Nissan claimed there was nothing wrong with the transmission and did not replace it, one month later I took it too valley hi Nissan in victorville and they told me that it should have been replaced by ross. The problem is as follows: The car when driven over long periods of time in traffic (1 hour or more), the transmission begins to whine, especially when climbing up hills. On over five occasions the car speed topped out at about 45-55 mph on the freeway and could not go faster on steep inclines. I would have to pull the car over to the slow lane as it would not accelerate past the 45-55 mph until the incline in the freeway leveled off. This has happened several times and each time it has happened, the Nissan dealer would evaluate it and state that the transmission was faulty. The transmission were replaced approximately around 45K, 77K, 109K, in doing the research the following bulletins seem to match the problem that I've been having ntb-13-079 and ntb-12-057 and the one mentioned by the dealer which I couldn't find on this website tsb-ntb10-143A. They all seem to indicate a problem with the fail safe for the cvt transmission fluid protector. I don't understand why Nissan will not replace this issue as it has happened on so many cars. Although my warranty had expired, the problem was never solved correctly. I don't take the car on the freeway, because I am in fear that I will be rammed by another vehicle as the car will not accelerate on occasions when the car is running too hot. The car/transmission is defective.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Altima

While on my way home from work I noticed suddenly the car won't take drive and just keep idling high when I press gas. I stopped and call a friend to pick me up. I call the mechanic and he send a tow truck to pick me up. Later he told me the car transmission was bad.

- North Miami , FL, USA

Oct 072011

Altima

Driving on I75S transmission failed had car towed to nearest Nissan dealer. In 2013 driving in Florida on I10W at tallahassee exit transmission failed and had car towed to nearest Nissan dealer. There was 147,000 miles on odometer. Paid $4,200 to have it repaired. Nisssan reimbursed me $2,403. Outcome I worry about when will this transmission go.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Dec 092013

Altima 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 30mph, the transmission started to kick or jerk, and eventually the transmission stopped working.

- Bloomfield, NJ, USA

Nov 092013

Altima 4-cyl

Rear stabilizing bar just broke out of nowhere, the car did not hit anything to cause this to brake.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Oct 052013

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving on the interstate and I put the car in cruise control. The car comes off cruise control and I enter it into cruise control again. The same results happen. Then I notice my RPM accelerating and my mph decelerating. I knew I had to pull my vehicle over to the side of the road immediately. As I'm switching lanes my car starts to smoke profusely and I say small flames from the front of the vehicle. Nissan affairs refuses to fix my vehicle because it is exactly 1, 918 miles outside of the warranty. Although, my transmission blew prematurely.

- Lansing, MI, USA

May 032013

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that over the course of six years, the contact has had to replace the transmission twice and the third one had failed. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 149,000.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jul 072010

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph when the transmission began to exhibit an unusual noise with extreme hesitation during acceleration. In addition, there was a significant reduction in engine power. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off and after waiting ten minutes, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred eight times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer numerous times for diagnosis however, the technician was unable to detect a trouble code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 042012

Altima 4-cyl

I own a Nissan Altima with a transmission that has failed. This is a very dangerous situation when acceleration is needed. The car RPM's run up at the same time and the car can not accelerate over 40-45 mph. I have found out Nissan has had major problems with these transmission from 2007 on. Nissan will not do anything about the problem.

- Cecilia, KY, USA

Jun 072011

Altima

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The dealer advised the contact that the transmission would need to be replaced. In addition, the technician informed the contact that the incorrect oil dipstick was installed in the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. There was a technical service bulletin associated with the failure under NHTSA item number: 10030088 (power train: Automatic transmission). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Sumter, SC, USA