2007 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Altima:

2007 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Dec 132007

Altima 4-cyl

I am writing to inform you of a safety concern I have with my 2007 Nissan Altima hybrid. The vehicle is equipped with tcs and vdc. On December 13, 2007 we got approximately 6 inches of snow during the day while I was at work. On my way home I approached switzer hill road and saw that it had been sanded so I turned and started up the hill. Approximately 40 yards up the hill the tcs light came on and my car stopped. The front wheels would not turn at all. I was forced to turn around on the hill and come back down. I was very fortunate that no one was coming down the hill at that time or it could have been disastrous for my self and/or others. The owner's manual for the vehicle refers to an off switch for both the tcs and vdc systems in case of an emergency. The manufacture has acknowledged that there are times when the system may need to be turned off. My vehicle has neither switch installed so I am unable to turn off either system in the event I am in heavy snow or mud. The non hybrid version of this vehicle has the switch installed as per the owner's manual. I have been in contact with the dealer and Nissan both in writing and on the phone. They have stated that the system is working properly because it does apply brake to the wheel that is slipping, and also reduce power from the engine. The problem is that the system works too well. The vehicle has the potential to come to a complete stop and strand the operator. With out the off switch there is no way to move a stuck vehicle. The reason I was given for the switch having not been install is that they thought it might cause the battery to be discharged. As per the manual the system automatically turns back on when the car is turned off. Nissan only sells the hybrid in a limited number of states. Most of which are in the northeast where it does snow.

- Johnstown, NY, USA