2008 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

May 012013

Dashboard is melting causing a dangerous glare on the windshield restricting my vision. The vision restriction caused by this glare makes driving hazardous in this vehicle. I have seriously considered trading in the vehicle for this sole issue. Nissan needs to take responsibility replace these dashboards or at least pay for 50 percent of the costs. I have also considered joining the class action lawsuit which has been filed against Nissan.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Sep 012015

The dashboard is actually melting causing difficulty in proper and sufficient visibilty due to excessive glare reflecting off of melting dashboard. This is making it difficult in seeing pedestrians, animals, traffic lights, and signs. I've had too many close calls of not seeing pedestrians from this glare until the I was almost on top of them.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Jan 012014

The dashboard is melting. It has become shiny which causes there to be a glare on the windshield which can hamper the driver's visibility.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 182014

My dashboard is melting and causing me to loose visability. There is no recall and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

- Pbg, FL, USA

Oct 052014

The dash surface has severe melting and the resultant glare causes visibility to be significantly reduced under normal driving conditions. The result of the melting dash surface can create temporary blinding conditions as the vehicle orients to direct sunlight and after dark street lighting. This car is dangerous to drive. This product should be recalled immediately and fixed by Nissan.

- Bath, NC, USA

Feb 012013

My dashboard is melting and beginning to spread down to the glove compartment. I can barely see when I drive because the glare is too bad. I almost ran over something and had to swerve because I couldn't see keeps happening. There she be a recall before lives are lost.

- Pike Road, AL, USA

Jan 202015

My dashboard has started becoming gooey and very shiny. If I touch it, it feels like I am touching an adhesive used for something like a bumper sticker. The safety issue is that this is very reflective and projects a glaring image on the windshield making it hard to see parts of the road ahead.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 162015

The dashboard is starting to melt bad. I've been trying to protech it with sunshades but it still continues to melt. This is causing glare on my windshield and causing obstruction for my driving and becoming a safety issue. Not sure why nhsta is waiting for some accident to happen. I would request recall and fix the dashboard issue

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jul 222013

The dashboard melts and it's an safety issue. Sometimes I cannot see the road becasue the melted dashboard shines on the windshield.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Apr 092014

The dashboard on my Altima is melting and is extremely sticky and cannot be cleaned. The defect causes a horrendous glare and makes it extremely difficult to drive safely when it is sunny outside which is quite often in Louisiana. This is clearly a fault in the hands of Nissan.

- Abita Springs, LA, USA

May 012014

Dashboard melted and causes a severe glare on the front windshield. This glare limits viability and is dangerous when driving.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Sep 282015

The dashboard for my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe is melting. In sunlight (most of the day), my visibility on the road is decreased tremendously due to glare the melting material causes to reflect on the front window. This has been a huge safety hazard while driving. From online searches, this is a common issue for many Nissan Altima drivers, and Nissan has failed to respond and replace these melting dashboards. A recall is needed before an accident happens.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 242015

I live in central Florida and own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe. My dashboard began to reflect a real bad glare while my husband drives. He is the primary driver as I am not. He has complained about it as well but it is evident that he sees the glare as I see it as well. Come to find out I have a melting dashboard per Nissan auto technicians. It is gooey, sticky, and causes such a bad glare that we only drive in early morning or late early evening when the sun is not so extreme. The Nissan service department stated to file a complaint to Nissan corporate office since they have been replacing these at no cost for other vehicles. I placed a complaint with Nissan corporate as I was advised. I received a phone call from them on 8/28/15, stating that they will not replace the dashboard for the following reasons: Outside of warranty, no current recalls & campaigns, no service contract, no extensions history of service of the vehicle and other factors. What does that mean? there is not definitive answer. When I asked to give specific they said they did. Mind you, I service my car and all maintenance has been done on the vehicle either by my husband and son (who is a mechanic), Nissan service department or tire plus. I think this is absurd! we can cause a huge accident one day for a product default by Nissan engineers. My husband has tried to avoid many accidents from this glare from the dashboard as the sun in Florida hits hard on a black dashboard especially. I am filing this complaint to have the NHTSA get involved in enforcing Nissan and any other vehicle manufacturing companies that are facing this issue to recall this defective product. This can cause many accidents and speaking from experience, we have avoided several ones thus far. We have been lucky thus far but I can't predict the future of what will happen tomorrow if this defect doesn't get corrected by Nissan.

- Oviedo , FL, USA

Aug 272015

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is melting away and has left behind a very sticky and shiny surface that emits a very strong vision impairing glare onto the windshield. Due to this glare, I have had almost a number of near miss accident situations since this issue begun in 2012-13. The glare impacts your visibly, adding more distraction and limits response time when aggressive or phone distracted drives suddenly swerve or pull out in front of you as you try to avoid an accident. Apart from the glare, the dashboard is emitting a very strong chemical like odor which makes me concerned for my overall health. I don't believe it is healthy for any driver/passenger to have to be breathing in the toxic particles from the materials and glue of which the part is made of. My other concern in this situation is the impact the defected melting dashboard has on the release of the passenger airbag in the event of a crash. The dashboard upon touch is very guey, sticky, and smears or comes-off when pressed. The manufacturer has refused to replace this part and has quoted $2,000 for part replacement. This is not only a very costly item, but also unfair to the owner who can't afford the repair and has to jeopardize their safety because of manufacturers negligence by supplying defective part. I try to avoid driving this vehicle unless it is necessary out of concern for my safety.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 162015

My 2008 Nissan Altima's dashboard is sticky and melting. The sticky residue reflects in the windshield causing a glare when driving during the daytime. In my opinion the melting dashboard is a safety defect and should be recalled.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 082013

My dashboard has started to melt. It makes the dashboard very sticky as if it is an adhesive product and turns colors. Due to this over time, the view out of the windshield is obstructed by a glare from any light source whether its from the sun or from a street lamp. I do not use any cleaning products other than a wet rang for the dash when cleaning the car, and I take pride in my vehicle. Since my car is out of warranty, Nissan would not replace the dash even though this is an safety issue as some pedestrians or road hazards are almost unavoidable due to the glare. In addition, everything sticks to the dash including paper, sun visors, and even bugs as I am located in miami, fl.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 012014

The dashboard on my 2008 Altima has been melting for the past year and is causing a large area of glare on the windshield. When I brought it up to the dealership last year, they told me I had used a chemical on the dashboard, that it needed to be cleaned off, and there is nothing they will do to fix it. They did not address the stickiness, either. This issue of a melting dash is dangerous, as it causes decreased visibility through the windshield with any amount of sunlight. Please make Nissan take responsibility for using lower quality materials by replacing the dashboards with a better quality material at no cost to the car owner.

- Collinsville, OK, USA

Jul 122015

2008 Nissan Altima dashboard "melting". majority of dashboard now looks shinny and appears to have a liquid shine to it, which causes blind spots during driving due to the reflective nature of the "melted" dash. Cannot touch, clean, or wipe the dash as the surface is similar to tacky glue. Nothing has been sprayed on the dash to cause this issue, this is just the heat building up internally and the design of the dashboard material being substandard.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 092015

My 2008 Nissan Altima started with a melted dashboard which is a safety hazard because of the glare on the windshield. I can't see when the sun is reflecting off the melted (wet) dashboard. More recently the entire dashboard has exploded and is cracked with the inner material showing. This is obviously a fault in the manufacturing, I have a friend with a 2008 coupe and the same thing happened. This should be recalled as a safety concern as it interferes with the driver's visibility.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Apr 152015

Dashboard has begun to melt, leaving a sticky residue that is highly reflective. In direct sunlight, it will reflect onto windshield causing reduced visibility. Residue will not wipe off. Attracts loose fibers, dirt, and debris. Inner dashboard toward airbag and steering wheel is also pitting due to a tacky texture from melting....updated 07/13/16

- Bryan, TX, USA