2008 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Jun 022014

Altima 4-cyl

My 2008 Nissan Altima coupe dashboard is melting. It started with a small spot on the dash, I thought it was moisture from the air conditioner. A few days later the spot was getting larger. I felt it and it felt like sticky clear glue. Now it's getting larger almost all the way across the dash. I took it to the Nissan dealership and the guy said he have never seen anything like this. He told me the only thing he can do is order another one for me and that's over $2,000. I feel that I should not have to pay for another dashboard, when it's a defect from the manufacturer and it needs to be a recall on this product..

- Orange, TX, USA

Jul 252014

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard of my Nissan Altima coupe has been melting, this causes some severe glare specially here in sunny South Florida, please don't wait until there's a life lost to recall this issue. Some citizens can't afford to have this manufactured defect corrected out of pocket. Please, please, please correct the issue. Thank you very much.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jul 042011

Altima 4-cyl

I've seen a growing complaint about melting dashboard on the 2008 Nissan Altima. I just wanted to formally file a complaint and it has becoming a nuisance when I'm driving and the sun is on the dashboard. It created a glare and it is difficult to see.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jul 112014

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima brand new in 2007, and currently the dashboard is melting. I recently visited my local Nissan dealership as I was told to do by Nissan Consumer Affairs for a diagnostics. There the dealership also agreed the dashboard is peeling and melting. I was quoted a total cost of $1860 for parts and labor. I then contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs regarding the matter and they created a case# and said they would get back with me on the issue. A week later they contacted me to say that they will pay for the parts but not the labor because my vehicle is no longer under warranty. I cannot possibly understand why I should be penalized or have to pay for any of this when it is completely not my fault. This is the first I have ever seen of a melting dashboard and I've had two cars prior to this one, one being a 1995 and there were no issues of a melting dashboard. This melting dashboard is also hazardous for me, the child I'm carrying and my two year old son, as it does affect my view while driving when its sunny out, which is pretty much all the time where I live, there is a really bad glare of the dashboard on my windshield. Unfortunately this car is my only means of transportation and buying another car is out of the question for me financially.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Altima 4-cyl

Dash is sticky and melting/secreting a substance. Substance will not wipe off and causes an extreme glare on the windshield when driving during bright hours of the day. Without wearing sunglasses it is almost entirely impossible to see the road clearly during these conditions. I never applied any kind of cleaners/chemicals to it. This is some kind of factory issue.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Mar 012014

Altima 6-cyl

I purchased my 2008 Nissan Altima brand new in April of 2008. My vehicle's dashboard is now melting and disintegrating. As a result, there is now a toxic smell in the interior of the car. I am deeply disappointed with Nissan's lack of quality with their interior parts. My biggest concern is that the fumes may pose a health hazard long term. Nissan should put this item under recall asap! interestingly enough, my sister-in-law had the same identical problem with the dashboard on her 2006 infiniti FX35. However, Nissan issued a recall and replaced her entire dashboard! it seems Nissan is unwilling to provide the same level of care, concern, conscientiousness and responsibility with their non-luxury brands. I now understand why Nissan corporation has always been lagging behind Honda and Toyota. This is a quality control issue that demonstrates blatant disregard for the consumer. Furthermore, Nissan corporation's refusal to issue a recall to correct this problem is complacent negligence on their part.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Jun 202014

My 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard is very sticky and melting. I called Nissan and make my first complaint 2 months too late was told. Since then the melting and stickiness on the complete top of the dash board is getting worse. Inside the car now it"S also smelling like melted tar, which may represent a health issue when breathing it, and with it the intense glare, reflection of the glossy tar on the front window it's a severe safety hazard when driving, especially when this also could result in airbags being suppressed which could fail to provide adequate protection in the event of an accident. Nissan refuses to help replace this defective dash board. Last week I called Nissan again. This time because the A/C"S evaporator needs to be replaced.I understand the cost of this would be my responsibility to pay, but because this is under the defective dash board, this one would have to be removed in order to replace the evaporator. Once removed, the melted dash board, no guarantee could be installed again, I was told by service rep at Nissan. A Nissan supervisor told me the same as others and suggested for me to call NHTSA and file a complaint, so they would work on a recall for this. My A/C needs to be fixed. I'm in fl where weather conditions and rainy season it's next to impossible to drive with windows down. I'm aware that A/C repair is my responsibility but I believe it's unfair to have to pay an additional 2,000 because of Nissan's defective material used on dashboards. This is a known concern since others have had the same issue. If Nissan doesn't do right by its consumers and or a recall is issue, there would be many consumers in the future with risks of accidents and/or possible respiratory health issues. A simple search on your page you find many other consumers with same problem. Nissan makes it sound like these are isolated issues.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 302010

Altima 4-cyl

I am in Florida and car dashboard has been made with cheap material which started to melt after just a few years on purchase. In 2011 I did call Nissan but no one replied my call. I kept on thinking that may be there is something that I have done but after doing some research on my issue, I noticed that internet is full of this complain about Nissan Altima 2008 dashboard being melting, cracking and sticky when you touch it. The glare from dashboard is so much that it gets hard to drive in sunny weather. I have stopped to drive my car and the day I run into an accident due to glare, I will call my lawyer right away. The car has 66K miles on it, and I have never seen this problem before on any other car I have ever owned.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Altima 4-cyl

I noticed in the beginning of this year my dashboard started to melt. It is getting worse and it makes a glare off my windshield. The glare is so bad that I can barely see out my front window!!

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Altima 4-cyl

Around June 1, 2012, I noticed a few spots that looked shiny on my dashboard in the middle section above the air vents. I did not think much of it at first. However, it got progressively worse, little by little. By June, 2013 it started to project a glare on the front window when the sun hit it. Living in Florida, it can be blinding at times. My husband noticed that it was sticky to the touch. In May 2013, I was diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma and needed to take off work for chemo and radiation. I called ferman Nissan in inquire if any other owners were having the same problem. The service person I spoke with dismissed me and said it would be over 1000 to replace and I was probably responsible for it. I said I was concerned if toxic fumes could be released when the dash is heated, and he said no and took no responsibility for it. In Feb. When I was finished with my treatments, I began inquiring with Nissan corporate. I am worried that the dash could be toxic for me, when the dash heat up, not to mention the dangerous glare. I was told to get a quote from the dealer, which I did on February, 11, 2014. It said "dash looks like it's melting." Estimate $1619.46 plus tax and supplies to replace dash. When I faxed Nissan corporate, they still did nothing after making me get the quote. I was so frustrated. Then action news 10 did a segment on the melting dash problem and exposed the fact that the issue is very common. Please assist me with this situation, as I am worried to continue to drive the car this way in the hot Florida sun.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 012013

My dashboard is entirely melted! you can't even put your finger on it or else it would make a permanent indention. From the dashboard melting it creates a glare that reflects off the windshield making it dangerous to drive.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

May 012014

Altima 4-cyl

My dashboard on my car is melting and I don't think anything necessarily happened to cause it - I just noticed it was sticky at first. It's now to the point where when the sun hits it I have to adjust my line of sight around the glare from it. I was told to report this here.

- Largo, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Altima 6-cyl

My Nissan Altima coupe interior dashboard is melting. It is very very shiny, and very sticky all across the areas adjacent to the windshield area. The glare is impossible to see through. In Florida that is much of the daylight hours when the sun is the most is very unsightly as well. This began in October 2013. It has progressively become worse. This car was garage kept a large part of the time I have owned it. There has been nothing applied to the dash. I purchased this car new.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Dashboard is melting and causing a glare, thus making it difficult to see. Its a safety hazard. Nissan needs to recall melted dashboards. There are multiple people who are experiencing this problem. Link:

- Malden, MA, USA

May 152014

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard has been melting and getting gooey and sticky for months. This causes a distracting sparkling reflection on the windshield during certain days when it is very sunny and the sun shines directly at windshield. The defect was reported to Nissan (dealership in fort lauderdale, Florida, and the corporate office) but the company does not want to pay for repairing it because the warranty has expired, despite numerous similar complaints by other owners of the same model and the safety issue.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 102012

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard on my 2008 Nissan Altima is melting!!!!!!! at first I thought it was something that came from the ac vents, but it just got worse & worse. I couldn't clean it even with a wet rag it was so sticky that it just stuck to it. I kept a windshield proctor in the window and it started to melt into the dash. It got so bad it was a hazard to try and drive. I have made several complaints to my dealership who looked at it and finally said "yes, your dashboard is melting". I was told to call Consumer Affairs. After months of back and forth, voicemail chasing and arguing that this should be recalled and that they should replace my dash due to their defect that is cause for an accident. A hazard, and now being unable to drive my car. I was told initially they couldn't help because it wasn't a warranty item. Eventually they agreed to replace( I should consider myself lucky), but that the cost of labor had to be dealt wit my dealership at a cost of $560. Consumer Affairs said they will only pay for the part. Finally discussed with dealership who stated that part was in, only to find out it wasn't ordered. An order was supposedly placed on 5/13/14 and was told it would take a few days. Today is June 3. 2014 and I'm still waiting! just spoke with parts department and the part is on backorder with no other information of when it could possibly come in! so much for the help! I probably will not ever buy another Nissan, and it's a shame because I really like my car.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

May 072012

The dashboard on my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5S is melting. The melting started around the edges of the speaker grill and the top part of the dashboard. I have tried to remove the residue with different products, but nothing seems to work. The melting has progressed to a point where it impairs my vision due to the reflection of sun on the windshield. The car is out of warranty and Nissan refuses to replace the dashboard. I am only one of hundreds of people affected with this issue. A quick search online for the words "melting" "dashboard" and "Altima" will pop up more than a dozen threads from people who have the same problem. Most of them are from sates where the temperatures are regularly hot.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Mar 012011

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard melting. Windshield covered with huge reflecting glare impairing vision. Airbags may not operate from within sticky molten substance the dashboard is covered with. (2008 Altima coupe 2.5).

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Melting dashboard.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jul 042012

Altima 4-cyl

The dash appears to be melting. This appears to be a pretty wide spread issue as evident in several Nissan online forums. My dash has become soft, sticky and shiny in several very large spots. If this were just a cosmetic issue, I wouldn't be posting here. This is becoming a safety issue. The dash creates a glare on the windshield that is nearly impossible to see through without the use of polarized sunglasses. At a minimum, I just want to find something that will remove or reduce the glare by dulling the shiny spots.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA