2008 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

May 272013

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard is melting and turned sticky. No longer has a matte finish and now has a high gloss finish that produces a glare through the windshield. Reflection on windshield looks like a heads up display. The area is from the drivers side to the passenger side and including the passenger side airbag area. Unknown if the airbag would deploy properly through the decomposing material used to manufacture the dashboard. Internet search of the issue shows many others have experienced this exact issue with the 2008 and early 2009 model coupe. Almost all have been reported in hot southern climates of Florida, Texas and California. No cleaning products were ever used on the dashboard and the decomposition appears to be a result of high temperatures inside the cabin produced when parked outside in direct sunlight.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jul 232013

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe here in panama city fl and notice my dashboard was melting, it's now at the point where the glare is so bad I can barely see to drive. I also have a six year old I'm now to afraid to drive any where bc of the glare but also because I'm not sure what kind of toxics we are breathing in. I've ordered a dash cover from carid.com but realized that is not going to fix my problem it's only going to hide it and we may still be breathing in harmful toxins and in the event that later I want to get rid of the car the zebra print dash cover would be stuck. So I took it to the Nissan dealer ( I don't have a warranty by the way its a 2008) and the put me in a rental immediately saying and I quote, "do you know what this material is who knows what your breathing in" so they could check my car.... they called me two days later and told me that they do not know what's causing it and for me to call 1 800 nissan1. The Nissan headquarters customer relations were extremely rude and refused to help me at all..... I'm a single mother and can't afford to pay to have this fix. I did some research and it turned out that Nissan did a recall for a very similar problem in the infinities (melting dash and was bubbling) I'm scared to drive my car because the glare is soooo bad as well as melting plastic I've also reached out to the health dept of Florida to ask them about the material of the dash and how harmful it is to breathe in again I have a child and her being healthy and safe is the most important thing to me. There are hundreds of people having this same issue.....this isn't fair not only is this a health issue but a safety issue as well....

- Panama City, FL, USA

Oct 312011

Altima

I purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe from a used car dealership, it has turned out to be a great car except the issue that appears to happen to many of their dashboards. They begin to melt from just general daily exposure to the sun. It has created a glare that makes it difficult to see out the windshield while driving even with sunglasses. I spoke with two technicians at Nissan dealerships and they have agreed that it must be the material used that year on the dashboard. Upon taking this issue up with Nissan they said they would not replace the piece, and have not taken responsibility for the issue and the material that they placed in this vehicle. This will continue to be a safety concern and will not escalate until unfortunately someone gets into a accident due to the material they used on this dashboard. Nissan, I feel should take responsibility for the material used and replace the piece not only for myself but others, not just because it looks terrible but that it is a safety concern at this point.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 012012

Altima

Dashboard has begun to deteriorate/melt and has turned into a shiny, reflective goo. It is reflecting onto the windshield and at the right angle can be completely blinding. This will absolutely cause an accident. Dealership is aware of multiple additional vehicles and no manufacturer recalls have been issued.

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 012014

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima SE sedan. Most of the time the car was parked in the garage. Car was parked outside several times a week. I noticed my dashboard started to melt and its getting worse. Its a safety hazard causing a glare in the day time and could be bad for visibility on the road and I could be breathing in the toxic chemicals from the dashboard. I had a dashboard cover to protect my dash and it still melts and cracking in different places in the dash. My dealer is new city Nissan in honolulu, hi I have called them and also called Nissan Consumer Affairs and none of them helped me. My local dealer ignored me for the longest time until they finally said sorry we cant help you, you are out of warranty and for a replacement dash it will cost $2,304. I feel like this isn't right and its a safety issue. I have 2 other Nissan that are older cars parked outside and there dashboards are not melted. Nissan does not want to help or admit this is a defective product.

- Honoolulu , HI, USA

Feb 152012

Altima

The car: 2008 Nissan Altima coupe 3.5 SE. In 2012 I noticed the dashboard was getting shiny, and had a melted feeling to it. I had to buy a dash cover to keep the glare away, if facing the sun while driving. Now in 2014 the dash is cracked all over and sticky. This issue should be addressed by Nissan. Not only is it a safety hazard, I makes reselling the car almost impossible. Dealer quote for new dash panel, $2500.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Altima 4-cyl

Vehicle dashboard plastic is melting which is creating a glare in the windshield while driving.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Altima 6-cyl

My dash is melting and its creating a reflective surface which is creating a high glare on the on the windshield which is impairing my vision to drive.

Jul 032013

Altima

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the heat from the sun melted the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the entire dashboard needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 104,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 162013

Altima

My dash is melting along the edges which leaves a bad glare and when driving towards the sun, visibility is obscured.

- Port Arthur, TX, USA

Dec 182013

Altima 6-cyl

2008 Nissan Altima, dashboard is melting. It's hard to see when driving it puts a very bad glare on the windshield causing you not able to see out of when sun it out or oncoming traffic lights reflect on the windows. It's very sticky and the dashboard is about to fall apart. Knowing that the air bag is in the dash is a very concern due to the dash melting and possible may cause a fire overtime due to wires connected to the dash. There are a lot of complaints on this online even on Nissan facebook page and complaints shown on here. This needs to be recalled or fixed before someone gets hurt by not being able to see out there window due to the shiny glare. Nissan refuse to fix this defect as the service manger said that the dash should not be melting the way it is. I hope this gets fixed for the safety of all Nissan drivers this should be reviewed by corporate Nissan.

- Hollywood , FL, USA

Sep 122013

Altima 4-cyl

I have noticed that over the last several months 4-5 months, that my dashboard of my Nissan Altima coupe 2008 is beginning to melt. Initially, the defect appeared as a glossy, shiny hue to the dashboard along the edges but over time, its has now started to melt with severe glossy and sticky residue - the glare from the dashboard on my windshield is dramatic and becoming unsafe during afternoon driving. It involves all edges of the anterior dashboard along the edge of the speakers and air filter and appears to be moving posteriorly. I have not used any chemicals to try to improve the issue and everything I place on the dashboard sticks severely.

Jul 012013

Altima 4-cyl

Sections of my front dash are melting. The deterioration has left the dash in a tar like state that is sticky and shiny. The reflection from the sun is so bright that driving is difficult around noon. The car is parked in a garage 90% of the time so there is no reason other than poor quality for this to have happened. I have contacted my local Nissan dealership and Nissan directly and they both are unwilling to offer any assistance as the car is out of warranty. I completely understand that but it is dangerous to drive and I am worried that if the glare prevents me from seeing another car or pedestrian someone could be injured. Nissan should accept responsibility for the poor quality and rectify the problem before an accident happens.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Sep 012012

Altima

My wife and I noticed that the dashboard on her 2008 Nissan Altima coupe was melted, leaving a sticky substance that seems impossible to remove and causes an intense glare when driving in the sun. We can barely see the road when driving and have called Nissan regarding this issue but they do not acknowledge this issue as a safety hazard.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Dec 112013

Altima 4-cyl

I live in orlando, fl and I had my vehicle for almost 5yrs. This year the dashboard has slowly began to melt. It is tack and if you touch it black goo comes off on your hands.the car inside smells weird no matter how much I clean and use febreeze and also provides a blinding glare when driving.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Nov 012012

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard of my car is melting. Its causing a glare of the sun that make it extremely difficult to see doing the day. I have almost got into several accidents because of the glare.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

May 152013

Altima 4-cyl

2008 Nissan Altima coupe's dashboard is melting. I live in Florida and apparently Nissan didn't take into account the weather here when using material for their dashboards on this year and model. The whole top dashboard is sticky and looks like a wet substance. Because of this it creates an intense glare that is a sever safety hazard when driving. I called 1800-Nissan and they don't want to do anything even though they used faulty material. This is a known concern since others have had the same issue. If U do a google search of this issue, you'll find its a very common problems for nearly all Nissan Altima (2008) who live in southern climates and Nissan will not accept responsibility of this issues, does someone has to die in a accident or get dismembered ? thank you

Sep 202012

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard melted, causing a bright vision-affecting glare on the inside of the windshield. Reduces visibility greatly, will likely cause an accident before too long.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 202013

Altima 4-cyl

Dashboard has started to melt in my 2008 Nissan Altima coupe that has greatly impaired my vision when driving on the road on a sunny day. The glare reflected from the melting portion of my dash is reflected onto my windshield. I have almost been in multiple accidents due to the lack of visibility.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 252013

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard seems to be melting causing a horrible glare that impacts vision while driving. The car was originally purchased in neland, fl.

- Perrysburg , OH, USA