2008 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 012013

The vehicle dashboard has 'melted, ' becoming sticky and very shiny. It creates significant reflection in the windshield, reducing visibility.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Melting dashboard that causes glare in the windshield and makes it unsafe to see and drive.

- Tellico Plains, TN, USA

Mar 192016

2008 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5S - dashboard is melting, to a point that the reflection of it on the glass is affecting by almost 90% my visibility. Putting myself, my four years old daughter, and other (pedestrians) at risk.

- Sunny Isles Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012015

I own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe and have a problem with my dashboard melting. The stickiness or shine from the tacky dashboard creates a bad glare when driving in sunlight and at times can be blinding. Quite frankly, driving my car when it's sunny is a safety hazard. I tried bringing my car in to Nissan and showing them my dash, but basically was told that they could not do anything. My only option was to replace the whole dash at my own expense. I went on line and was surprised to find that this was a common problem with the 2008 Nissan Altima coupe models. Even more surprising is that Nissan hasn't made this issue a recall due to the many complaints from owners of this make and model of Nissan cars. It is obviously a manufacturer's defect!! what can I do" can anyone help" on the bottom of this form it asks when this happened and I don't have an exact date but my dash started melting over a year ago and progressively has gotten worse. It started at the part nearest the windshield and now the sticky tackiness covers almost the entire dash.

- Pearl City, HI, USA

Mar 022015

Dash melting and cracking

- Malcolm, AL, USA

Feb 282016

Recently, I faced a near death experience driving my Nissan Altima. I was heading back to kc from columbia. It was windy morning at 3 am on 70 w and suddenly my car's cruise control light started blinking, and my car started to lose its acceleration (while in motion on highway 70).with a double trailer truck behind my car a few other trucks lined behind it, my car lost acceleration and it fell under 40 miles in a few dreadful seconds on a national highway. My car continuously wiggled as it kept dropping speed with a whistling sound from the engine on the passenger side. As I pray to god to save me, it struck my mind to turn on the parking lights, the truck driver was quick to realize something was wrong with a car ahead of him and changed lanes and sped away and so did the others. I decided to keep driving until I reach safety. My car's speed dropped to 40 miles an hour as my heartbeat went up. With another 20 miles to an exit, I was praying and all of a sudden my car started accelerating again. I was not sure if I should hit the brakes and be stranded or take a chance and drive until I reach safety. My gas mileage fell rapidly, it went down from 100 miles remaining to 40 miles as I checked. As a miracle, my car started to respond after driving for not sure how long but it started to accelerate. I was both glad and terrified that my car is responding and with big fear that it may fail again. I maintained a uniform speed until I took an exit on the highway. My car started to lose its acceleration again, after running over a light in a failing car as I prayed with tens of cars on the road behind me, I reached a gas station and confident that none of my friends or family will find me dead on a highway. I will never ever trust my car again. After diagnostics at a Nissan service center, I found that a transmission failure was the root cause

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 012014

Dashboard is melting, getting sticky and shiny and causing a very dangerous glare on the windshield.

- Blackshear, GA, USA

Feb 182016

The dashboard on this car is melting and crumbling apart. In early 2012 it started getting shiny at the edges on the vents openings next to the windshield. It has developed into a sticky, semi-liquid, very shiny, soft rubber like substance that sticks to anything put on top of it and comes off as a black residue when separated. The dashboard also developed fine fracture lines that have since created deep ridges all along the part, its crumbling, and pieces of the black outer material are just falling apart, revealing a foam material beneath. The cracking, crumbling effect covers the whole dashboard, not just the section that is exposed to sunlight. The shiny sections of the dashboard reflect sunlight into the windshield, creating a blinding pattern in the windshield that prevents good visibility. In sunny days it is really prominent and blinding, which is a constant in South Florida. This is a serious safety hazard and could provoke an accident due to poor visibility. This problem started showing in early 2012 and has evolved since into a crumbling, melting, sticky, shiny dashboard. In hot days when the car is parked it smells like molten plastic. The chemical fumes from this decaying material can't be good to human health, these are most probably toxic.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 122016

Dashboard melting. It is extremely difficult to see the pedestrian, road, vehicles due to glare on the windshield when the sunlight reflects from the dashboard. The glare impairs the vision and we had many near miss incidents that could have cost lives, property damage. We request recall considering the safety of all on the road.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jan 022016

I recently began to notice that the dashboard has been melting. There are several sections that are melting and have become sticky. It affects my visibility during the day to drive the car because of the glare reflected on the front wind shield. I have attached pictures of the damage.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 012015

My 2008 Nissan Altima coupe has a melting dashboard. It has become incredibly sticky and is not able to be cleaned because of this. The "sheen" that is on the dashboard now causes a horrific reflection on the windshield reducing visibility drastically and causing a hazard while driving. Contact with Nissan has been completed and no action is being taken at this time. There are numerous reports of other owners having the same problem.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 012016

My 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard is completely deteriorating. The dashboard seems to be sticky and disgusting. It looks like it's completely melting off due to the melting it makes it difficult to drive since it is shiny and the glare hits the windshield it makes it difficult and dangerous to drive. I've been reading articles and many people are having the same issue I think that should be recalled and fixed.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Takata recall my dashboard is melting. It has become very sticky and causes a severe glare across the span of my windshield. This is making it extremely difficult to see out of my windshield and it is very distracting.I have noticed the glare for months, but as time passes it is becoming more difficult to see clearly. I am concerned that the limited visibility will hinder my ability to drive safely.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 012014

2008 Nissan Altima coupe has melting sticky dashboard that is shiny and reflects the sun and distorts vision. This is a safety issue and deserves a safety bulletin issues to repair. Car operates in central Florida. I tried to sell it and was told $2000 would be deducted from the offer due to cost of repair of defective dashboard.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012016

The dashboard is melting, cracking and crumbling. The melting has created a sheen that reflects on the windshield causing visibility to be severely impaired. The dash is very sticky to the touch. Further, the melting is causing a toxic chemical odor and what appears to be possible fume deposits on the inside of the front windshield. These are both clearly safety hazards that need to be immediately addressed by Nissan. The exterior paint is failing as well. It is fading, peeling and the clear coat has degraded on much of the vehicle resulting in continued degradation.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jun 082015

The dash board has turned into a sticky mess, it can't be cleaned and is causing a dangerous glare on the wind shield.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Dec 192015

Melting sticky dash causes glare while driving and makes it difficult to see traffic light change, glare is worse during summer Florida weather. Dealer claims they have never seen anything like it and offered no resolution even though it seems to be a common complaint. I try to keep my car covered or out of sun when not in use, left it at the dealer for unrelated service (3 days). They must've had it sitting out in the sun because the melting spread, also looks like they attempted to clean it because there was white residue left on the dash!

- Riviera Beach, FL, USA

Dec 012015

08 Nissan Altima coupe that I purchased new in South Florida February 08 that I've owned since has a melted, sticky, and cracked dashboard. Also, the dash is changing colors. The defective and melted dashboard makes it dangerous to drive because the sun reflects on the dashboard making it very hard to see out of the windshield. As referenced in the class action lawsuit tracy sanborn V. Nissan North America, Inc. My car should be covered. I spoke with a rep at 1-800-Nissan-1 and they claimed to have no idea this existing. I have opened my case and will hopefully get it fixed soon.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jan 012011

2008 Nissan Altima where the dashboard material has failed. As a result, it is sticky and shinny, mostly by the dash vents. The shinny has created a glare that reflects onto the windshield during daylight driving obscuring visibility. This reflection has a created a safety issue because it impedes visibility while driving.

- Brentwood, MO, USA

Jun 082014

The material on the dash is melting, and there are chunks breaking off, greatly affecting the value of my vehicle. This also causes a reflection on the windshield. There is a glare in the direct line of my vision and when driving into the sun it is very difficult to see. I have heard other makes of this same year have had similar problems, and had manufacture recall. Hopefully Nissan will follow suit. Soon.

- Frisco, TX, USA