2008 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 182016

Altima

Upon my daughter arriving after a 300 mile drive, I see an excessive amount of chemical/glue?? seeping from her front dashboard. Its as if dashboard is melting. In turn the melted dashboard reflect a huge amount of sunlight up to windshield which in turn causes light blindness while driving not to mention possible toxicity issues. Very unsafe driving condition and environmentally harmful. Nissan Corp. Should be made to remedy this for life and health issues.

- Bay Saint Louis, MS, USA

Apr 222016

Altima

The dashboard is melting and a sticky substance is causing a serious glare that obscures the visibility through the windshield. The melting dashboard is spreading due to sun slight exposure and heat. The defective dash boards has been reported widely by many auto owners and should be recalled for replacement due to faulty engineering and resulting is visibility glare/obstruction.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Feb 162015

Altima

I bought a 2008 Nissan altman coupe, in October 2014. My dashboard has started to melt in several areas. Not only is there a glare on the windshield caused by the dashboard, but my car has started to smell like burning rubber when I try and use my de frost. My car is kept in the garage, and I live in Illinois.

- Simpson, IL, USA

Jan 242016

Altima

Dash melting and splitting.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Mar 012014

Altima

The dash in the car is melting and creating a very bad glare when driving. It is very difficult to see and very dangerous.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 012013

Altima

The vehicle dashboard has 'melted, ' becoming sticky and very shiny. It creates significant reflection in the windshield, reducing visibility.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Altima

Melting dashboard that causes glare in the windshield and makes it unsafe to see and drive.

- Tellico Plains, TN, USA

Mar 192016

Altima

2008 Nissan Altima coupe 2.5S - dashboard is melting, to a point that the reflection of it on the glass is affecting by almost 90% my visibility. Putting myself, my four years old daughter, and other (pedestrians) at risk.

- Sunny Isles Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012015

Altima

I own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe and have a problem with my dashboard melting. The stickiness or shine from the tacky dashboard creates a bad glare when driving in sunlight and at times can be blinding. Quite frankly, driving my car when it's sunny is a safety hazard. I tried bringing my car in to Nissan and showing them my dash, but basically was told that they could not do anything. My only option was to replace the whole dash at my own expense. I went on line and was surprised to find that this was a common problem with the 2008 Nissan Altima coupe models. Even more surprising is that Nissan hasn't made this issue a recall due to the many complaints from owners of this make and model of Nissan cars. It is obviously a manufacturer's defect!! what can I do" can anyone help" on the bottom of this form it asks when this happened and I don't have an exact date but my dash started melting over a year ago and progressively has gotten worse. It started at the part nearest the windshield and now the sticky tackiness covers almost the entire dash.

- Pearl City, HI, USA

Mar 022015

Dash melting and cracking

- Malcolm, AL, USA

Feb 282016

Altima

Recently, I faced a near death experience driving my Nissan Altima. I was heading back to kc from columbia. It was windy morning at 3 am on 70 w and suddenly my car's cruise control light started blinking, and my car started to lose its acceleration (while in motion on highway 70).with a double trailer truck behind my car a few other trucks lined behind it, my car lost acceleration and it fell under 40 miles in a few dreadful seconds on a national highway. My car continuously wiggled as it kept dropping speed with a whistling sound from the engine on the passenger side. As I pray to god to save me, it struck my mind to turn on the parking lights, the truck driver was quick to realize something was wrong with a car ahead of him and changed lanes and sped away and so did the others. I decided to keep driving until I reach safety. My car's speed dropped to 40 miles an hour as my heartbeat went up. With another 20 miles to an exit, I was praying and all of a sudden my car started accelerating again. I was not sure if I should hit the brakes and be stranded or take a chance and drive until I reach safety. My gas mileage fell rapidly, it went down from 100 miles remaining to 40 miles as I checked. As a miracle, my car started to respond after driving for not sure how long but it started to accelerate. I was both glad and terrified that my car is responding and with big fear that it may fail again. I maintained a uniform speed until I took an exit on the highway. My car started to lose its acceleration again, after running over a light in a failing car as I prayed with tens of cars on the road behind me, I reached a gas station and confident that none of my friends or family will find me dead on a highway. I will never ever trust my car again. After diagnostics at a Nissan service center, I found that a transmission failure was the root cause

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Mar 012014

Altima

Dashboard is melting, getting sticky and shiny and causing a very dangerous glare on the windshield.

- Blackshear, GA, USA

Feb 182016

Altima

The dashboard on this car is melting and crumbling apart. In early 2012 it started getting shiny at the edges on the vents openings next to the windshield. It has developed into a sticky, semi-liquid, very shiny, soft rubber like substance that sticks to anything put on top of it and comes off as a black residue when separated. The dashboard also developed fine fracture lines that have since created deep ridges all along the part, its crumbling, and pieces of the black outer material are just falling apart, revealing a foam material beneath. The cracking, crumbling effect covers the whole dashboard, not just the section that is exposed to sunlight. The shiny sections of the dashboard reflect sunlight into the windshield, creating a blinding pattern in the windshield that prevents good visibility. In sunny days it is really prominent and blinding, which is a constant in South Florida. This is a serious safety hazard and could provoke an accident due to poor visibility. This problem started showing in early 2012 and has evolved since into a crumbling, melting, sticky, shiny dashboard. In hot days when the car is parked it smells like molten plastic. The chemical fumes from this decaying material can't be good to human health, these are most probably toxic.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 122016

Altima

Dashboard melting. It is extremely difficult to see the pedestrian, road, vehicles due to glare on the windshield when the sunlight reflects from the dashboard. The glare impairs the vision and we had many near miss incidents that could have cost lives, property damage. We request recall considering the safety of all on the road.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jan 022016

Altima

I recently began to notice that the dashboard has been melting. There are several sections that are melting and have become sticky. It affects my visibility during the day to drive the car because of the glare reflected on the front wind shield. I have attached pictures of the damage.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Altima

My 2008 Nissan Altima coupe has a melting dashboard. It has become incredibly sticky and is not able to be cleaned because of this. The "sheen" that is on the dashboard now causes a horrific reflection on the windshield reducing visibility drastically and causing a hazard while driving. Contact with Nissan has been completed and no action is being taken at this time. There are numerous reports of other owners having the same problem.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Altima

My 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard is completely deteriorating. The dashboard seems to be sticky and disgusting. It looks like it's completely melting off due to the melting it makes it difficult to drive since it is shiny and the glare hits the windshield it makes it difficult and dangerous to drive. I've been reading articles and many people are having the same issue I think that should be recalled and fixed.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012015

Altima

Takata recall my dashboard is melting. It has become very sticky and causes a severe glare across the span of my windshield. This is making it extremely difficult to see out of my windshield and it is very distracting.I have noticed the glare for months, but as time passes it is becoming more difficult to see clearly. I am concerned that the limited visibility will hinder my ability to drive safely.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 012014

Altima

2008 Nissan Altima coupe has melting sticky dashboard that is shiny and reflects the sun and distorts vision. This is a safety issue and deserves a safety bulletin issues to repair. Car operates in central Florida. I tried to sell it and was told $2000 would be deducted from the offer due to cost of repair of defective dashboard.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Altima

The dashboard is melting, cracking and crumbling. The melting has created a sheen that reflects on the windshield causing visibility to be severely impaired. The dash is very sticky to the touch. Further, the melting is causing a toxic chemical odor and what appears to be possible fume deposits on the inside of the front windshield. These are both clearly safety hazards that need to be immediately addressed by Nissan. The exterior paint is failing as well. It is fading, peeling and the clear coat has degraded on much of the vehicle resulting in continued degradation.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA