2008 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Oct 172014

I have a melting dashboard. There is a glare that radiates from the shine of the melting area that presents a visibility problem. I already had an accident because of this, on 10/17/2014, and the issue is ongoing. Now there is even more glare. I contacted Nissan. They offered only to pay half for replacement. That came out to over $1000 which is totally not right. This is a defect.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 072014

My 2008 Nissan ultima dash board is melting. The visibility is diminished in the sunlight while driving. This is dangerous. It causes a harsh glare and makes it very difficult to seewhile driving in the day time. The dash board is very sticky and shiney. This needs to be recalled for drivers safety immediately.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 182014

My dashboard is melting and causing me to loose visability. There is no recall and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

- Pbg, FL, USA

Oct 252015

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is gooey, very shiny and causes a glaring image of the dash to project onto the windshield obstructing the view of the road. If touched, it feels like an adhesive object and has a chemical smell on hot days. This glaring image is continually projected onto the windshield making the car a safety issue to the driver and others on the road.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Aug 032015

My 2008 Nissan Altima coupe's dash is melting causing a glare on the windshield when driving into the sun. The glare is distracting and obscures my vision. The car was purchased new in 2008, it has approx. 80,000 miles, is kept in the garage after daytime work hours. The melting began this summer.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Jul 222013

The dashboard melts and it's an safety issue. Sometimes I cannot see the road becasue the melted dashboard shines on the windshield.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Sep 302015

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is melting and the glare when driving is making it impossible to see clearly. Driving this vehicle during the day is extremely dangerous due to the glare from the melting dashboard. This should be recalled and fixed by Nissan, it is clearly a manufacturing defect due to the material used for the dashboard. My teenage son drives this car, and he is now afraid to drive it because the viability is so poor now. It gets worse as time goes on. Nissan needs to take responsibility for the defect and replace the dashboards before someone is hurt or worse due to lack of viability.

- Plantation, FL, USA

May 012014

Dashboard melted and causes a severe glare on the front windshield. This glare limits viability and is dangerous when driving.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jun 052013

Was driving down major highway in NJ and car began to slow down rapidly. Was able to get to side of road before completely dying. Car was towed to transmission repair place and cost 2000 to repair. Now in 2015 I have the very same problem. Car needed another transmission at the tune of 2000 more dollars. These transmissions are known for trouble. If someone's going down street in fast lane and this happens they can be killed. It gives no warning at all when it's about to fail. I do believe Nissan should repair/replace this issue before someone is killed. Could be me or my family. There are numerous posts about this I hope something is done fast. The passenger airbag light comes on saying off when an adult passenger is in car.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

I need a new transmission at 126,000 miles! car began making noise as if it was stuck in a gear, it became sluggish as I was trying to accelerate, the car would not accelerate. Drove it to sheehy Nissan a few days later and was told that I would have to call Consumer Affairs because I was outside the extended warranty of 120,000. My mileage was 126,000. Received call from sheehy service specialist leo saying that it would be fixed free of charge. The next day received another call from service specialist and was told that it was not approved by Consumer Affairs for repair. I called Consumer Affairs and was told that I would receive a call on Friday, Sept. 18 from Nissan's regional specialist, quinashay, that more information was being gathered from sheehy Nissan. Received call from quinashay saying that there was nothing nisan could do for me because I was outside the extended warranty period! this is my third Nissan purchase from Nissan stanza to a couple of Nissan Altima, always upgrading. I've been a loyal Nissan customer and for what! never thought I would be treated this way.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Sep 012014

I live in Georgia, and my dashboard is melting. I cannot drive without placing a black towel over the dash to dampen the reflection of the sun. The dash has a clear, gooey, sticky, lacquer-looking, film that shines so brightly that it obstructs my vision. Please note that it's a hazard to drive this vehicle because there is constant possibility of not being able to see a pedestrian or other vehicles in my line of sight -- this could clearly lead to a serious accident.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Sep 132015

Dash is melting. I have complained to Nissan Consumer Affairs and they state they are not replacing the dash. It is sticky and shiny and causes reflection in windshield. I have seen lots of complaints on the internet for the same problem with Nissan 2008 Altima. Nissan will not repair without a recall.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 042015

- Cairo, GA, USA

Aug 272015

It seems like Nissan Altima dashboard is melting and now it became sticky and shiny.while driving in direct sun it creates a glare on the windshield and hard to see the road is a major safety concern for a driver.this is happening may be Nissan used a low quality material for the dash.this needs to be recalled and fixed by Nissan.

- Irving, TX, USA

Aug 242015

I live in central Florida and own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe. My dashboard began to reflect a real bad glare while my husband drives. He is the primary driver as I am not. He has complained about it as well but it is evident that he sees the glare as I see it as well. Come to find out I have a melting dashboard per Nissan auto technicians. It is gooey, sticky, and causes such a bad glare that we only drive in early morning or late early evening when the sun is not so extreme. The Nissan service department stated to file a complaint to Nissan corporate office since they have been replacing these at no cost for other vehicles. I placed a complaint with Nissan corporate as I was advised. I received a phone call from them on 8/28/15, stating that they will not replace the dashboard for the following reasons: Outside of warranty, no current recalls & campaigns, no service contract, no extensions history of service of the vehicle and other factors. What does that mean? there is not definitive answer. When I asked to give specific they said they did. Mind you, I service my car and all maintenance has been done on the vehicle either by my husband and son (who is a mechanic), Nissan service department or tire plus. I think this is absurd! we can cause a huge accident one day for a product default by Nissan engineers. My husband has tried to avoid many accidents from this glare from the dashboard as the sun in Florida hits hard on a black dashboard especially. I am filing this complaint to have the NHTSA get involved in enforcing Nissan and any other vehicle manufacturing companies that are facing this issue to recall this defective product. This can cause many accidents and speaking from experience, we have avoided several ones thus far. We have been lucky thus far but I can't predict the future of what will happen tomorrow if this defect doesn't get corrected by Nissan.

- Oviedo , FL, USA

Aug 272015

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is melting away and has left behind a very sticky and shiny surface that emits a very strong vision impairing glare onto the windshield. Due to this glare, I have had almost a number of near miss accident situations since this issue begun in 2012-13. The glare impacts your visibly, adding more distraction and limits response time when aggressive or phone distracted drives suddenly swerve or pull out in front of you as you try to avoid an accident. Apart from the glare, the dashboard is emitting a very strong chemical like odor which makes me concerned for my overall health. I don't believe it is healthy for any driver/passenger to have to be breathing in the toxic particles from the materials and glue of which the part is made of. My other concern in this situation is the impact the defected melting dashboard has on the release of the passenger airbag in the event of a crash. The dashboard upon touch is very guey, sticky, and smears or comes-off when pressed. The manufacturer has refused to replace this part and has quoted $2,000 for part replacement. This is not only a very costly item, but also unfair to the owner who can't afford the repair and has to jeopardize their safety because of manufacturers negligence by supplying defective part. I try to avoid driving this vehicle unless it is necessary out of concern for my safety.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012014

I live in sunny South Florida, my dashboard is melting. I cannot drive without sunglasses on at all times because the reflection of the sun on that clear, gooey, sticky, lacquer-looking, thing shines so brightly that it obstructs my vision and has been affecting my eyesight. Please note it is a hazard to drive this vehicle because there is the possibility of not seeing a pedestrian or certain things in front of me that can lead to a serious incident.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 162015

My 2008 Nissan Altima's dashboard is sticky and melting. The sticky residue reflects in the windshield causing a glare when driving during the daytime. In my opinion the melting dashboard is a safety defect and should be recalled.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 012011

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is badly melted and continues to melt. Very sticky and anything that gets on it will stick to it including bugs! I couldn't understand why this would be happening to a vinyl dashboard because I've owned several cars and never encountered such a problem neither had I ever seen that in any other vehicle. I searched on line and was surprised to see that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I showed it to a friend who said it wasn't normal and I should look to see if there was any recalls. Unfortunately, there is none.I did discover my dashboard isn't vinyl but seems to be made of a hard foam which melts and scratches easily. The glare from that dashboard is unreal and unsafe. When the sun is shining bright (and it does in pensacola, fl) I have to try to find a spot in the windshield where there is no glare in order to properly see through my windshield. This is definitely a road hazard and safety concern and I can't believe no action has been taken by NHTSA or Nissan to correct this defect.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

May 012013

I purchased my Nissan Altima used in 2012. A little more than a year later, I noticed sticky spots on my dashboard. Initially, I thought I had cleaned my dashboard with the wrong product. However, the issue has gotten progressively worse since then, and I now know that the stickiness is caused by my dashboard melting in the sun. Large sticky, shiny areas cover my dashboard and cause a very serious glare on my windshield that affects my vision when driving. This is a very serious hazard for me and for the drivers around me. It is a defect of vehicle's construction and should be addressed by the manufacturer.

- Houston, TX, USA