2008 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jun 082015

Altima

The dash board has turned into a sticky mess, it can't be cleaned and is causing a dangerous glare on the wind shield.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Dec 192015

Altima

Melting sticky dash causes glare while driving and makes it difficult to see traffic light change, glare is worse during summer Florida weather. Dealer claims they have never seen anything like it and offered no resolution even though it seems to be a common complaint. I try to keep my car covered or out of sun when not in use, left it at the dealer for unrelated service (3 days). They must've had it sitting out in the sun because the melting spread, also looks like they attempted to clean it because there was white residue left on the dash!

- Riviera Beach, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Altima

08 Nissan Altima coupe that I purchased new in South Florida February 08 that I've owned since has a melted, sticky, and cracked dashboard. Also, the dash is changing colors. The defective and melted dashboard makes it dangerous to drive because the sun reflects on the dashboard making it very hard to see out of the windshield. As referenced in the class action lawsuit tracy sanborn V. Nissan North America, Inc. My car should be covered. I spoke with a rep at 1-800-Nissan-1 and they claimed to have no idea this existing. I have opened my case and will hopefully get it fixed soon.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jan 012011

Altima

2008 Nissan Altima where the dashboard material has failed. As a result, it is sticky and shinny, mostly by the dash vents. The shinny has created a glare that reflects onto the windshield during daylight driving obscuring visibility. This reflection has a created a safety issue because it impedes visibility while driving.

- Brentwood, MO, USA

Jun 082014

Altima

The material on the dash is melting, and there are chunks breaking off, greatly affecting the value of my vehicle. This also causes a reflection on the windshield. There is a glare in the direct line of my vision and when driving into the sun it is very difficult to see. I have heard other makes of this same year have had similar problems, and had manufacture recall. Hopefully Nissan will follow suit. Soon.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Oct 172014

Altima

I have a melting dashboard. There is a glare that radiates from the shine of the melting area that presents a visibility problem. I already had an accident because of this, on 10/17/2014, and the issue is ongoing. Now there is even more glare. I contacted Nissan. They offered only to pay half for replacement. That came out to over $1000 which is totally not right. This is a defect.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 072014

Altima

My 2008 Nissan ultima dash board is melting. The visibility is diminished in the sunlight while driving. This is dangerous. It causes a harsh glare and makes it very difficult to seewhile driving in the day time. The dash board is very sticky and shiney. This needs to be recalled for drivers safety immediately.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Feb 182014

Altima

My dashboard is melting and causing me to loose visability. There is no recall and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

- Pbg, FL, USA

Oct 252015

Altima

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is gooey, very shiny and causes a glaring image of the dash to project onto the windshield obstructing the view of the road. If touched, it feels like an adhesive object and has a chemical smell on hot days. This glaring image is continually projected onto the windshield making the car a safety issue to the driver and others on the road.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Aug 032015

Altima

My 2008 Nissan Altima coupe's dash is melting causing a glare on the windshield when driving into the sun. The glare is distracting and obscures my vision. The car was purchased new in 2008, it has approx. 80,000 miles, is kept in the garage after daytime work hours. The melting began this summer.

- Shawnee, OK, USA

Jul 222013

Altima

The dashboard melts and it's an safety issue. Sometimes I cannot see the road becasue the melted dashboard shines on the windshield.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Sep 302015

Altima

The dashboard in my 2008 Nissan Altima is melting and the glare when driving is making it impossible to see clearly. Driving this vehicle during the day is extremely dangerous due to the glare from the melting dashboard. This should be recalled and fixed by Nissan, it is clearly a manufacturing defect due to the material used for the dashboard. My teenage son drives this car, and he is now afraid to drive it because the viability is so poor now. It gets worse as time goes on. Nissan needs to take responsibility for the defect and replace the dashboards before someone is hurt or worse due to lack of viability.

- Plantation, FL, USA

May 012014

Altima

Dashboard melted and causes a severe glare on the front windshield. This glare limits viability and is dangerous when driving.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jun 052013

Altima

Was driving down major highway in NJ and car began to slow down rapidly. Was able to get to side of road before completely dying. Car was towed to transmission repair place and cost 2000 to repair. Now in 2015 I have the very same problem. Car needed another transmission at the tune of 2000 more dollars. These transmissions are known for trouble. If someone's going down street in fast lane and this happens they can be killed. It gives no warning at all when it's about to fail. I do believe Nissan should repair/replace this issue before someone is killed. Could be me or my family. There are numerous posts about this I hope something is done fast. The passenger airbag light comes on saying off when an adult passenger is in car.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Altima

I need a new transmission at 126,000 miles! car began making noise as if it was stuck in a gear, it became sluggish as I was trying to accelerate, the car would not accelerate. Drove it to sheehy Nissan a few days later and was told that I would have to call Consumer Affairs because I was outside the extended warranty of 120,000. My mileage was 126,000. Received call from sheehy service specialist leo saying that it would be fixed free of charge. The next day received another call from service specialist and was told that it was not approved by Consumer Affairs for repair. I called Consumer Affairs and was told that I would receive a call on Friday, Sept. 18 from Nissan's regional specialist, quinashay, that more information was being gathered from sheehy Nissan. Received call from quinashay saying that there was nothing nisan could do for me because I was outside the extended warranty period! this is my third Nissan purchase from Nissan stanza to a couple of Nissan Altima, always upgrading. I've been a loyal Nissan customer and for what! never thought I would be treated this way.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Sep 012014

Altima

I live in Georgia, and my dashboard is melting. I cannot drive without placing a black towel over the dash to dampen the reflection of the sun. The dash has a clear, gooey, sticky, lacquer-looking, film that shines so brightly that it obstructs my vision. Please note that it's a hazard to drive this vehicle because there is constant possibility of not being able to see a pedestrian or other vehicles in my line of sight -- this could clearly lead to a serious accident.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Sep 132015

Altima

Dash is melting. I have complained to Nissan Consumer Affairs and they state they are not replacing the dash. It is sticky and shiny and causes reflection in windshield. I have seen lots of complaints on the internet for the same problem with Nissan 2008 Altima. Nissan will not repair without a recall.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Sep 042015

- Cairo, GA, USA

Aug 272015

Altima

It seems like Nissan Altima dashboard is melting and now it became sticky and shiny.while driving in direct sun it creates a glare on the windshield and hard to see the road condition.it is a major safety concern for a driver.this is happening may be Nissan used a low quality material for the dash.this needs to be recalled and fixed by Nissan.

- Irving, TX, USA

Aug 242015

Altima

I live in central Florida and own a 2008 Nissan Altima coupe. My dashboard began to reflect a real bad glare while my husband drives. He is the primary driver as I am not. He has complained about it as well but it is evident that he sees the glare as I see it as well. Come to find out I have a melting dashboard per Nissan auto technicians. It is gooey, sticky, and causes such a bad glare that we only drive in early morning or late early evening when the sun is not so extreme. The Nissan service department stated to file a complaint to Nissan corporate office since they have been replacing these at no cost for other vehicles. I placed a complaint with Nissan corporate as I was advised. I received a phone call from them on 8/28/15, stating that they will not replace the dashboard for the following reasons: Outside of warranty, no current recalls & campaigns, no service contract, no extensions history of service of the vehicle and other factors. What does that mean? there is not definitive answer. When I asked to give specific they said they did. Mind you, I service my car and all maintenance has been done on the vehicle either by my husband and son (who is a mechanic), Nissan service department or tire plus. I think this is absurd! we can cause a huge accident one day for a product default by Nissan engineers. My husband has tried to avoid many accidents from this glare from the dashboard as the sun in Florida hits hard on a black dashboard especially. I am filing this complaint to have the NHTSA get involved in enforcing Nissan and any other vehicle manufacturing companies that are facing this issue to recall this defective product. This can cause many accidents and speaking from experience, we have avoided several ones thus far. We have been lucky thus far but I can't predict the future of what will happen tomorrow if this defect doesn't get corrected by Nissan.

- Oviedo , FL, USA