2008 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 012009

Altima 4-cyl

Car not stable. It wanders and pitches. Steering is all over the road. Requires constant correcting. Seems very unstable on the interstate at 60mph and higher. Seems to pitch from corner to corner.

- Haslett, MI, USA

Oct 112010

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact was traveling approximately 60 mph when the steering wheel became extremely stiff. The contact was unable to turn the wheel so the vehicle to coasted to a stop. The vehicle was then towed to the contacts residence. He then noticed there was no power steering fluid in the vehicle. While adding more power steering fluid, he noticed the fluid leaking directly from the power steering fluid compartment. The vehicle was then towed to an independent mechanic where the contact was told the power steering rack fractured from the vehicle. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer where the power steering rack was repaired. The failure mileage was 45,762 and the current mileage was 48,000. Updated 03/10/11

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Nov 252010

Altima 4-cyl

I got my Nissan 2 years ago as a graduation present from my parents. I have never been in a car accident or ran into anything ever from driving any car. One day I was driving on a country road, with no shoulders, near where I live and I went around a sharp turn and went off the road a little bit but then corrected myself and got back onto the road. Once I got back onto the road my car went out of control. The steering wheel started turning to the left and right uncontrollably and I pressed on the brakes and the car started sliding and spinning out of control from the wheel turning. The car then went to the other side of the road from the spinning and flipped over! I had to go to the hospital but I wasn't seriously injured and thank god no one else was in the car with me because they most likely would have been seriously injured because when the car flipped over the passenger side was the side that had the most damage, etc. My car is totaled and my parents are very angry with me, and I know I was driving faster than I should have, but I honestly believe that the car was a major contributor to the crash.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 252009

I request that NHTSA investigate a major car defect of my Nissan Altima coupe. On 09/25/2009 I was driving on bruckner expressway close the exit 52 to bronx river parkway. I was driving between 45 to 50 mph, the breaks stopped working, I tapped the breaks continuously and still they did not work after a few seconds the steering wheel starting turning un-controllably to the right, then to the left. I tried to press on the breaks and control the vehicle but there was nothing I could do since the breaks and the steering wheel were not working. The car hit the highway shoulder on the left and then turned to the right. I believed that was the end of my life and my passanger's life. After about a mile the car came to a stop. I had never experienced an accident before. I bought a brand new car so I can avoid technical and manufacturing problems. But I was not lucky because my one year old Nissan Altima couple had a major manufacturing defect that almost took my life. Now all said and done, it has been 10 days that I have been in touch with Nissan of usa and Nissan of garden city. For these long ten traumatized days the only answer I got from Nissan is that the car will be inspected and that Nissan is going to let me know what happened to the car. Nissan did not provide me with a loaner or funds to rent a car. It has been 10 days that I have been renting cars or taking cabs paying from my pocket to make it to work. I am out of funds and Nissan does want to respond to the issue. I know that the car has a major manufacturing problem. I will not drive that car again under any circumstance. I do not want that car to be driven from anyone else because I am very sure that car is very dangerous. This car needs to be inspected carefully so Nissan can learn from this mistake and prevent future similar accidents that can turn deadly. Nissan needs to be responsible for their own mistakes. I hope NHTSA will be able to help in this issue. Thank you, alma uldedaj

- Bedford, NY, USA

Mar 302008

Vehicle rides unstable. Sharp turns causes car to become unstable, loses controls of turn. Tires or rims unbalanced. Have vehicle seem many times and the problem can not be corrected. Neither representative would confirm problem. Told by american tires sale associate, Nissan will not reimburse them for correcting the problems. They rebalanced the tires, but this did not correct the problem. Advise right front tire problem, but they would not give a write up on the problem. My vehicle has had too many recalls. Hanlees richmond hilltop Nissan should have known about the many recalls, prior to selling this vehicle. March 26, 2009 had car in for servicing, driver seat broken, brake hardware damaged - brakes replaced. Mileage at time of servicing 12,800. I had complained about these problems from day one. I spoke with the finance associate about replacing the car, but he refused.. I have noted from servicing order on March 26, 2009 - heat shield problem - high RPM on initial startup. Antioch service advisor did not address this matter, because Nissan has not issued a correction order on this as of today. This is a brand new car that has many problems from the first day of purchase! I have tried so many times to get help from the service center as well as Nissan consumer services. Not help!!!

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Mar 262008

2008 Nissan Altima. Consumer complaint for power steering defect in a Nissan vehicle. Consumer states that some bolts fell out of the vehicle that caused the tensioner belt for the power steering to break.

- Newington, CT, USA