Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at

2009 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Feb 262015

While driving on interstate, sun roof glass came out of roof. There is a recall on sun roof glass due to shoddy, improper installation. Contacted sun roof company about recall, filed a claim, was told that it would be fixed in a convenient and timely manner. They gave me their installers contact info and instructed me to contact them with some info and they( the installer) would handle the rest. When I contacted the installer I was told rather rudely that I was not to call them(installer), that they were very busy, and would get the info from the company(webasto) and contact me when they received the parts. After a week or so, I contacted webasto again to see if I could have an installer in my city to repair the glass due to the time it was taking and the fact that their installer was not in a convenient location. At first I was told yes, I would just have to get a one time authorization for the installer I chose. My installer followed the instructions given, then after about four days of no return call about the authorization, I contacted webasto again and was told they were refusing to O.K. my installer, and insisting that I use their installer even at the cost of it being done in a timely manner or at my convenience. Still have not heard from anyone to date. Today's date being 3/31/15.

- Clarksville, TN, USA