CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2009 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 162015

Altima

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5L. I've had the car for about 6 years now, and my mileage is about 81500 km. It has an automatic transmission. After driving for about 5 minutes, I had slowed down to enter a turning lane, and my car stalled in the middle of traffic and everything shut off while driving. I was able to restart the car after. Thank goodness there was no car behind me. I brought my car into Nissan dealership to get it checked out. They told me the crankshaft had to be replaced. I read online that there has been the same issue in multiple Nissan Altima and that there has been recalls for it. I asked Nissan about it and they said my car year does not qualify under the recall and that it will not be covered under the recall. It will cost me ~$400 plus for parts and labor to get it replaced and reprogrammed. I don't understand why it cannot be covered under the recall. The same problem fully described in the recall is happening to my car and my car is also a Nissan Altima. The recalls were specifically for 2002-2006 years. Mine is 2009. Many other owners have reported the same problem online with their 2009 model. So I don't understand why it is not included in the recall. It is very dangerous to be driving and having your car shut off in the middle of the road. They should make this an official recall for the 2009 model and give everyone a refund for the costs that we have had to pay out of pocket for a recurring problem that Nissan has with their Altima. [from edmonton, alberta, Canada].

- Edmonton, AL, USA

Mar 022015

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who diagnosed that the push rod inside of the engine cylinder fractured and punctured a hole in the engine block. As a result, the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,385.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Feb 082015

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the engine stalled and the vehicle failed to start with the push to start button function. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the starter, the fuel line, and the steering column were replaced, but failed to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Midlothian , VA, USA

Jan 202015

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the steering wheel lock mechanism was fractured. The vehicle was completely shut off and did not restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who stated that the steering lock mechanism failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 104,000.

- Demopolis, AL, USA

Jan 282015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000. Updated 03/24/15 updated 10/19/2015

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 272014

Altima

I drove my 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5S to work on 11/27 and it started up just fine as usual. However, when I went to leave work for the day the car did not start. The keyless remote will allow me to lock and unlock my car, but when I go to start the car, it will not register my keyless remote. An error code shows that the electronic steering column lock (escl) mechanism was malfunctioning. Also, there is a yellow key icon on the left side of the dash that intermittently flashes no key. The ignition is indicating that the steering wheel is locked although I can turn the steering wheel. There are or were no prior warning that the part was about to fail including anylights on the dash panel. I had to leave my car in the garage and was stranded for sometime trying to find a way home. My car is still sitting in the garage as I cannot afford to pay the repairs at this time. After doing further research into the issue I have come to see that multiple people have complained about this same exact problem. A very disturbing factor since Nissan is aware of the problem, and for some customers has issued an extended warranty for this specific problem. Although either issuing a recall or removing the part from the later manufactured models to avoid this from occurring again. Hopefully, my vehicle does not fall outside the extended warranty window as Nissan is not assisting with the repairs.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 032014

Altima

I was trying to start my car and it would not start. The switch which allows the car to know you are pushing the brake did not work (push button ignition). I tried to put my key in the slot to start the car, but the car does not start if the car does not sense the brake is being pushed. This is a huge hazard. Good thing I was not stranded somewhere. I called Nissan with no help at all. A search on the internet revealed this is a problem that has not been addressed. The part number replaced is intermotor SL2110. Please respond with your investigation on this. Thank you.

- Springhill, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the battery and check engine warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician replaced the crank and cam shaft. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Boston, MA, USA

Aug 142014

Altima 4-cyl

I own a 2009 Nissan Altima coupe with approximately 60K miles. When driving on the interstate at speeds in excess of 60mph, the car decelerates with no warning. During the first incident, I was on the left-hand side of a semi truck caught in their blindspot while they were trying to switch lanes. I attempted to pass this truck only to have my car slow down completely, even with gas pedal to the floor. Vehicles behind me had to change lanes suddenly to avoid rear ending me, and I almost became the victim of a serious accident with this semi truck. Fearing a similar incident on the trip back, I stayed safely in the right hand lane going just below the posted speed (70mph). As I approached an incline on the interstate, not only would my car not speed up, it would not even maintain speed. It quickly went from 66mph to 55mph. Once again, I was almost involved in a serious collision with the unsuspecting vehicles behind me. After getting a diagnosis done at my local Nissan dealership, I was informed that my transmission was overheating. Nissan has admitted to knowing these issues, by automatically extending the warranty on these cvt transmissions to 10yr/120K. However, the way around actually paying to fix these death traps is to inform the consumer that the "fix" is not a new transmission, rather an external cooler that needs to be installed. These are commonly found in larger SUV's and trucks to help compensate for the additional stress on the transmission, due to larger size/weight. I drive a 2-door Altima. I am not towing boats or pavers. If my tiny car needs an external cooler to help its faulty transmission function safely and properly, that should have been installed at manufacturing. The out of pocket cost for this cooler is $1000+. Nissan needs to be held accountable for the faulty product they manufactured. This could result in serious injury or death.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Altima 4-cyl

Was pulling into parking spot with my foot on the brake rolling to a stop when the car suddenly accelerated and before I could lift my foot and reapply brake I had gone over the curb and into a bush.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jun 032014

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on two separate occasions. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 36,000.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

May 172014

Altima

Car doors unlocked normally, the dash showed a yellow key light blinking, no response to pushing the ignition button. Car locks and unlocks with the remote. Headlights worked battery was charged full. Exited the door, locked the car, unlocked the car, entered in - held the remote close to the ignition button. The dashboard still showed yellow key light blinking. Pushed ignition button no response. Upon googling there was a suggestion to removed negative from battery wait for a 5 minutes, reconnect and try. Same results after connecting the battery. One article suggested to move the adjustable steering up and down vigorously. I released the steering button underneath the steering and moved the steering up and down. Pushed the ignition button and the engine started. Drove to the dealer who refused to do correct the problem stating that at the time the dealer inspected the vehicle everything was fine. He did not want to see the video I captured showing the yellow key light blinking.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 062014

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning while parked. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the contact would have to have the vehicle diagnosed by dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 1400.

- Luisville , TX, USA

Feb 012014

Altima

My 2009 Nissan Altima coupe with 63,200 miles would not start last Saturday, 2/1. the steering column was locked, the brakes were locked, and the push to start button would not light up or start the car. The red light for the key was flashing and the car could never be started. My vehicle was towed to leith Nissan in cary, nc where service members there said this was a common problem and currently have two other vehicles in line for the same part. The electrical part for the start button is on serious backorder and the company has such a high demand for it that even Nissan corporate is saying it will be a few weeks to get the part in. The service staff at leith Nissan in cary, nc said this problem has been common and that Nissan was not recalling this part though they have knowledge this a serious issue affecting many Nissan car owners for a some time now. Leith Nissan told me to call corporate and anyone else I could to raise this concern and that maybe something would be done. Hundreds of other Nissan owners have posted this exact problem online and filed claims as well. Nissan needs to recall the part and reimburse those affected for rental cars and other expenses. I called the Nissan corporate office demanding reimbursement for rental car fees. The NHTSA needs to put a stop to this and enforce Nissan to recall this part on all Altima's. apparently this exact part has already been recalled on other Nissan vehicles.

- Apex, NC, USA

Feb 012014

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the engine would not start. The contact had an independent mechanic inspect the vehicle but he was unable to diagnose the cause of failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 37,000.

- Braintree, MA, USA

Jan 202014

Altima 4-cyl

Car would not start due to failure of the steering lock device.

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Nov 252013

Altima 4-cyl

On Monday night 11/25/13 I drove to my local supermarket and when I went back to my car, it wouldn't start after pushing the start button. Several lights lit up; service engine soon, battery, oil light, brake light etc. I tried it a few times with no luck. I then tried shifting from park to drive and back to park. Tried to start it again and no luck. After waiting about a minute I tried it again and it finally started. It has been starting since then (today is 11/29/13) but needless to say I am very nervous and concerned that this will happen again and I won't be near home. This needs to be looked into by Nissan and a recall issued since it seems to be happening to many owners.. my brother also owns a 2009 Altima and this happened to him last year and he had to get the car towed to the dealer.

- E Rockaway, NY, USA

Nov 202013

Altima

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the push-to-start button failed to engage the engine. The vehicle was towed the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Ocean City, MD, USA

Nov 142013

Altima 4-cyl

Two incidents on same day: First incident at 7:15am: Engine continued to rev without accelerator pedal being pushed. Braking distance much longer than normal. When car did stop, engine speed returned to normal. Second incidence at 10:45am (had stopped/started car 5 times, and driven approximately 40 miles since first occurrence): Same engine over-rev issue while braking (accelerator pedal not pushed). After stopping (distance required much longer than normal), engine speed did not return to normal. When transmission was shifted to neutral, then park, to keep engine from propelling car, engine speed went to 6000rpm, without accelerator pedal being pushed. Had to turn engine off, then start again to get engine to respond normally.

- Trenton, GA, USA

Nov 052013

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving on rt.190 northbound in leominster, MA to pick up my 2 1/2 year old son at daycare. As I was driving my car started to lose power. Everything light started to go on, check engine, battery, gas. I was able to pull over. Smoke then started to come from the hood. I thought it was overheating. Then another car pulled over in front of me and told me to get out the car. I grabbed my purse and got out of my car. When I got out I saw fire inside in my hood. Less than 2 minutes my entire front end was on fire.

- Leominster, MA, USA