CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2.5

2009 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 012015

Altima

Takata recall. My 2009 Nissan Altima has suspension problem might be the struts not exactly sure what it could be. Reading the press release by nthsa explained that 2009-2010 Nissan Altima and maxima has suspension or struts recall that was built out of spec and explained the feel of drive and I experience the same exact feeling that was described in the press release. The car seems like it slides and seems shaky when exceeding a certain speed. I feel the shake and sliding when I drive on the freeway and at freeway speeds. Not sure how it happened just drove down the freeway one day and felt a lot of shaking. Brought it to a Nissan service center and a Firestone as well but they couldn't pin point the problem. It was alot of " it could be's " and " I think". so please help me out not sure what is going on with my daily driver.

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Dec 062015

Altima

I was leaving work as I approach my vehicle which was parked in the secured lot; I used my smart key to unlock the door in which it did. And when I entered my vehicle it did not start. The indicator on the dash was showing representation of no key in the vehicle but my key could still lock & unlock the doors. I proceeded to change the battery to my smart key 3X and to no avail did that fix my situation.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 022015

Altima

My family and I were stranded in the middle of the night last week for several hours for my car to be towed cause the engine would not start and jump start the battery did not work. After towed it home and research / diagnostic, found out that it is a well know that the steering lock box is defective. However, calling Nissan dealer about it and will not make the recall on the part. My car just die after 5 years. 3 months after the extended warranty. My dealer will not fix it and Nissan will not assist to get it fix either. They keep wanting me to bring it to the deal for diagnostic, when in-fact it is obvious that the steering lock bock is disabled the car from starting. I brought it in, and they kept telling me no recall and want me to pay for it (almost $1,000), yet recommending me to fix other issues saying it could have been tune up needed that why my car would not start.. ugh!!!

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Dec 042015

Altima

Our 2009 Nissan Altima sl experienced a steering lock failure leaving my wife stranded with two young children in the car. The car was not able to turn on or even shift into neutral. Nissan is aware of the problem but would not do anything about it. Repair costs were nearly $1000.

- Bernardsville, NJ, USA

Dec 052015

Altima

Push to start cars are not starting. It must be towed to the dealership where replaced a faulty break switch and now have to replace itelligent key system. In both cases the car will not turn over and must be towed back to the dealership as they are the only ones who can repair the car.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Dec 042015

Altima

Electronic steering column lock malfunction. Parked vehicle in the driveway, came out an hour later and the vehicle will not start. A yellow key light and a red vehicle light with a key symbol inside are the only things on the dash that will appear. Brake pedal is hard and the push to start will not work.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 252015

Altima

"takata recall"-thanksgiving eve stranded with a key/keyfob unable to start car on lock. November 2015-cincinnati, oh (highland/ridge) parking lot I thought it was the key fob not working. Had a kind women take me to a store to purchase and / replace my 2032 battery within key fob. Still did not work. Read the manual several times including contacting the dealership to assist in working through any unknown issues that I might have not discovered or tried. Came back out and tried to start the car, a key light was flashing on the dash, brake was hard to press. The car still would not start. I was forced to have car towed to dealership several hours later. While waiting, I googled the result, I was shocked at all the complaints on the same malfunction."

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 302015

Altima

Dashboard is sticky and melting causing a glare across windshield making it difficult to see when driving.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 012014

Altima

My 2009 Nissan Altima dashboard got a shiny sticky substance which I thought I may have used a bad dash cleaner, but it appears it is actually melting. It is sticky to touch, and the reflection from the sun makes it difficult to see while driving.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Oct 282015

Altima

2009 Nissan Altima would not start. Dealer said that it was an issue with the steering lock mechanism being stuck. Went to Nissan usa's website and saw that a lot of people were having this issue, and it has been talked about all over the internet. So many complaints about this very issue that it looks like Nissan extended a warranty covering the cost to fix the problem if this happened to your vehicle. The caveat, they only extended this by 6 years. Took it to the dealer and they told me it was the steering lock. I called Nissan, and they told me that I missed the coverage by two months. If there are so many people having this very issue, why isn't there a recall. It's a clear product defect.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Oct 192015

Altima

There was a malfunction with the electronic steering column lock. I went to start my car and it would not start. The electronic steering column lock needed to be replaced.

- Florence, SC, USA

Oct 192015

Altima

The electronic steering column lock issue is prevalent in Nissan Altima model year 2009-2010 and Nissan has failed to take responsibility for this known issue. I experienced the issue conveniently outside of Nissan's "extended warranty claim period" and as a result I am stuck with a $1000 repair that I have taken full financial burden from. This was a known issue that should have been fixed by Nissan under a recall as this is in fact a safety concern because nobody should be concerned about their car not starting especially if they are in an uncomfortable situation and need to get to safety quickly. This issue occurred while the vehicle was stationary and that by no means excuses it from being a safety concern, because it is very much a safety concern. www.nissanproblems.com/trends/steering-wheel-locks/

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 272015

Altima

Nissan will not honor a recall on my vehicle for the steering lock due to the fact that the extension for the recall has ended even though it end on 02/04/2015 of this year and it is now October 2015 and was never notified of the recall. They should be held responsible for any and all recalls on there brand even after the end dates.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Oct 222015

Altima

Car deesn't start, it is because of faulty steering lock system. Nissan extended warranty on this part but didn't do recall. It has happend to many people and yesterday I was stranded and my car wouldn't start. The repair is costly and Nissan is not paying for it.

- Billerica, MA, USA

Sep 172015

Altima

I got in my car fine this morning with my key fob, but the key light was on when I got inside. When I pushed the break to push the button trying to start my car it would not turn on. The light stayed on lock. The steering wont budge and the break is locked. My car is in park and the wheels are straight.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 102015

Altima

I had stopped at the grocery store and went to get back in my car and it would not start, it would not even recognize the key. My key fob would unlock, lock & pop my trunk but my car acted like it wouldn't accept my key fob. My steering wheel was not locked & it has been towed and sat overnight & its still not locked, my electronic steering wheel lock has gone out on my car & with all the research I have done I found out several other people are having the same problem. Nissan extended the warranty on this part to 6 years but it seems all these failures are happening after that 6 year mark has been hit. Nissan is well aware of the problem and released a bulletin on it but not a recall, I believe with all the problems that everyone is having that a recall should be issued I was quoted 800-1000.00 to fix this problem. This is evidently a faulty part installed by Nissan and they should make it right

- Henderson, KY, USA

Jun 012015

Altima

On occasions my car would not start. We would shake it, press the start button continuously, sit and wait up to 60 minutes before the card restarted. I did a lot of research online and assumed it was the brake switch. I had the battery, alternator, and starter checked. Told their were no problems. So, after researching, I contacted the dealer. Was informed it would cost about $400 to repair, as they had been experiencing other customers coming in with the same problem. I contacted my personal mechanic and informed him after extensive research, and speaking to the dealer, I believed it was the brake switch. The brake switch/brake light switch cost $45 from dealer, and he charged me $35 to put on. A big savings from what the dealer would have charged me..$400, plus a diagnostic cost of $125. I have not had any problems since having this little switch replaced.

- Yeadon, PA, USA

Jul 042015

Altima

On a 3 hour trip, the Altima lost speed. Current speed was 75-80 mph, dropped to 60 mph on the hwy. Transmission fluid check to be good and no warning lights or anything happen. Car lost power/speed on a small incline and this has happen on several occasions doing a road trip. This should be a recall

- Braselton, GA, USA

Aug 012014

Altima

The dashboard of the car is melting. The areas on the dashboard that are affected are very sticky and can't be cleaned. With the dashboard melting, there is a glare that comes up from the dashboard onto the windshield which makes driving during the day both difficult and hazardous because of the limited visibility. I also don't know if this melting issue is causing any type of toxins or fumes to collect in the car interior.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jun 122015

Altima

Car could not be started and had to be towed to a Nissan deal where they charged me $900 to fix. This is a defective part, electronic steering column lock, that Nissan knows about. They extended the warranty for this part and have it listed on the nissanassist.com website. It is specific to the 2009 Altima and maxima. They refused to help with cost in anyway because the warranty expired 2 months prior...even though they know it is a big enough issue to have the extended warranty on it. If the part is defective...why put any time frame on it. Do a recall, or fix them as it happens.

- Meridian, ID, USA