CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2.5

2009 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 132015

Altima

My dashboard is sticky and shiny in certain parts and it makes it difficult to drive in the sun because of the glare from the stickiness. There's nothing to wipe. It's just sticky, anything I put on it, whether it's paper, cloth, etc will just stick and not make a difference

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA

May 082015

Altima

I have an issue with my dash being very sticky. I have never been able to clean my dash due to the stickiness. I believe that Nissan should be forced to fix the issue since there is definitely reason for the dash to be fixed and I know I am not the only Nissan owner with this problem.

- Decatur, AL, USA

Feb 262015

Altima

Vehicle will not start minutes after a successful start. All other factors such as battery, electrical, and fob key issues eliminated as possible cause. Similar problem has been widely reported, most likely a defective steering lock mechanism, or in some cases, a defective brake light switch wherein the brake pedal is depressed but the ignition system is registering an unpressed brake pedal. A safety issue as motorist could be stranded during inclement weather or other dangerous situation.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Aug 102014

Altima 4-cyl

There are long lines of cracks all over my dashboard. It appears the material from which it is made, is extremely inferior. Both the dealer from which is was bought (coral springs Nissan) and the Consumer Affairs section of Nissan na tell me there is nothing they can do as the warranty is up. What will happen to me if the dashboard falls apart while I am driving? I am also experiencing, to a lesser extent, the shiny spots which I have also read about from comments online, on the dashboard. I previously owned a 1999 Nissan Altima and never had this problem and fail to see how a car which I purchased December 2009 - note even 5 years old - should be having this problem. I'm extremely dissatisfied that the company is unwilling to assist in rectifying this defect.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Altima 4-cyl

Around 2012 the dashboard in this Altima is melting. It's turning into a glossy goo that is causing a extreme glare into the drivers side of the windshield. Nissan has not issued any recalls on this, so they wont fix it. I went to www.youtube.com and found that apparently this is a widespread problem with Nissan, Toyota, Mazda & Lexus.

- Natchez, MS, USA

Dec 092013

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and my car shutdown. I pulled over and tried to restart my car but it would not turn on.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 192013

Altima

After shopping my car would not start. I had to flatbed it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the steering lock (part 48700-9N00A). The car's mileage and time was slightly out of warranty (41000 & 41 months vs 36000 & 36 months). The new redesigned steering lock (part 48700-9N00B) has a warranty for only 1 year. Per Nissan forums this is a known issue with Nissan: GT-R, 370Z & Altima. My understanding is there has been a recall on the GT-R only. I would expect a recall or extension to the warranty on this part in the Altima.

- Loudonville, NY, USA

Nov 282012

Altima 4-cyl

Upon attempting to start the car, ignition would not change from "lock" to "acc" or "on". intelligent key warning lamp was lit steady on dash. Steering wheel column was not locked. All power and other functions worked (lights, door locks, etc). Battery is fine. Independent testing found steering lock control module part 48700-9N00B faulty. Similar/same part on Nissan gtrs was recalled, part number 48700-jf00A or 48700-jf00B, being replaced by 48700-jf00C same part number is failing for Nissan 370zs as well, same years and same part number 48700-jf00A or 48700-jf00B, yet they are not being recalled. This problem is also occurring in Nissan maximas and Nissan muranos however I could not find the part number. In all models of Nissan this part was removed in mid 2010 due to consistent failure. The part costs approximately $500 from Nissan, is usually out of stock and back ordered, and also costs another $400-$500 to be installed at a dealer. There should be a make-wide recall for all models for this part, not just the gtr because it's the most expensive of them.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Nov 252012

Altima 4-cyl

2009 Nissan Altima coupe was in parking lot and would not start. The intelligent key warning light was on dash. Had car towed to dealer. They advised steering lock control unit (part #48700-9N00B) was bad. This is a common problem on '09 Altima as well as 370Z. Dealer offered 10% discount and advised $600 total. I called Nissan customer care and escalated to regional office. This is a real safety issue because who knows where and when you can be stranded. Nissan has recalled this part on other models and discontinued this feature on subsequent models. This is a safety issue and something needs to be done!

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jan 032011

Altima

Heat shield on exhaust center pipe overheated and broke. Pipe and gaskets required replacement by dealer.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA