CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2.5

2009 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 102016

Altima

Car stalled twice both parked in a parking lot. Battery works and key fob works with doors. But engine wont start with push button start. Electronic steering column lock defect.

- West Nyack, NY, USA

Nov 072016

Altima

"takata recall" the steering wheel locked in my Altima and it left me stranded in the road! the battery wasn't dead, the control key wasn't bad either. The dealer says is a $1,300 repair job! it's the steeringg wheel lock that needs replacement and I have seen youtube videos and it has happened to thousands of people with 09' Altima!! why did you take the manufacture replacement in 2015!" this is so horrible! I understand that I have to replace wheels, engine oil and other wear and tear items, but how in the world can a part that is inside my steering wheel have problems!" I don't event have a key! I use "keyless control". this is so upsetting! please listen to your customers and have it fixed by the manufactures expense!!!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 312016

Altima

Steering wheel lock malfunctioned causing car not to start. Was having a severe asthma attack at the time and was in a life or death situation. Thankfully others were around that could take me to the er. This part was a known issue as evidenced by an extended warranty on this part but no customer notification was ever issued to me. I was lucky! to be in a situation where you are panicked and not thinking clearly and trying to get help only to be held hostage by a known faulty part that would not let my car start is infuriating.

- Portage, IN, USA

Oct 142016

Altima

I am an owner of a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 sl in Louisiana. The dashboard of the car has become very sticky and shiny as if it is melting. On a sunny day the reflection on the front windshield causes poor visibility resulting in a serious safety concern.

- Hammond, LA, USA

Aug 012012

Altima

Dash board has melted and gotten sticky. Because of the melting it has gotten very shiny and causes terrible glare on the windshield thus restricting view and making driving dangerous because of lack of vision on the road. It is also very messy if you touch or lay anything on the dash. I would suspect it to be unhealthy also since the chemistry in the material has changed. I live in houston, Texas and my car is out in the sun and weather most of the time. We depend on this vehicle for most of our transportation. This problem is always there, but is significantly worse in hot/sunshiny weather. It looks like puddle on the dash and also looks like the dash is about to drip off. It is even sticky and shiny at night. This has been a gradual thin that started about 2012 and has gotten worse and worse.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 032016

Altima

Electric steering column lock (escl) failed and left me stranded at work. Had to wait 2 hours for someone to come get me.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Sep 012015

Altima

Dashboard has a sticky residue that continues to worsen. The glare from the sticky residue reduces visibility.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Altima

Melting dashboard. Makes it very hard to see. Also the cracking and peeling may be effecting the airbag functions.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 262016

Altima

Takata recal: 2009 Nissan Altima has a faulty steering lock. This is causing me to be stranded and not able to have a functional car. I have no receive any noticed about an extended warranty and this is unsafe being stranded. I am looking to get a recall on the part of have a part provided to me which I should now have to pay 500+ for the part and then also labor. Please look into this issue I know I am not the only one have the same problem. The car was purchased in 2012 as well. This is ridiculous that Nissan is making me pay for something that is a defect with there cars!

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 082016

Altima

Nissan has refused to recall their faulty electronic steering lock unit that is needed to turn the vehicle on. If it does not lock the wheel in place it will not allow the push start ignition to start the vehicle, thus leaving their occupants stranded with no option other than to have their vehicles towed to a Nissan dealership and forced to pay upwards of $1200 for the replacement of a defective factory part. They offered a extended warranty to address this issue, but neglected to inform consumers of this. They are clearly trying to get out of paying for their mistakes and are passing the cost on to their unsuspecting customers.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 252016

Altima

I parked my car in the school parking lot, ran in to take care of some errands. When returning to my car to leave it would not start. It kept saying to press the brake when I was pressing the brake and trying to start. It never started. I had to have it towed home. It will not even come on auxiliary to get mileage or anything else. I then talked with someone at autozone to see what the problem was - he advised me that it was the steering wheel lock that has gone bad and that Nissan would not fix it due to the warranty running out. I found that many people have had this problem and Nissan knew about it and did not file a recall. I now have to pay $1200 to have this fixed on my car and I don't think that this is fair.

- Dudley, NC, USA

Aug 242016

Altima

Steering lock failure caused car to be unable to be started. Owner stranded at work with vehicle in parking garage. Needed a tow and not easy to find tow company that was willing to pick up on 5th level of parking garage. Dangerous situation. This is a known defect with 2009 Nissan Altima...owner was never notified of earlier recall. This recall should not have been ended...many more people continue to be put at risk!

- Hartford, WI, USA

Aug 172016

Altima

Issue: Steering lock fault preventing car from starting. Dear sir: I am very angry, frustrated and disappointed with this ongoing issue with my ż09 Altima. I am sure you can imagine how disconcerting it is to not know when or if your car will start. I have been repeatedly stranded by this problem and have had to be jump started on many occasions and finally towed to the dealership to hopefully fix once and for all. This is the 2nd repair Iżve had to have done on the same or related issue: Steering lock. The first repair was resolved by replacing the brake light switch for a total of $177.18. The second repair was fixed by replacing the steering lock for a total of $908.04 plus rental of $45. The towing was included in my auto insurance policy. I realize this is not a new vehicle, however in my mind, this is an item that should not fail as there is no manual/alternative starting mechanism. Not to mention, IżD be fine with the żold fashionedż key start. IżM not sure why Nissan hasnżT stepped up in a major way to fix this known problem. A simple google search will tell you this is no small/isolated issue. As a multiple Nissan vehicle owner and hopefully a long time, repeat customer I am respectfully requesting a full reimbursement in the amount of - $1,130.22.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Aug 172016

Altima

Steering lock. The steering lock will fault and prevent the car to be started. This is a safety hazard because a person can be stranded. It sounds like this might be a frequent occurrence of this year and model (dealer had mentioned this fact).

- Neenah, WI, USA

Jul 222016

Altima

I was out handling business all day Friday and later that evening I had to make my last stop. I went into the store and when I came out my care had no power and my steering wheel wouldn't move. The key indicator light was on, but I still had no idea of how I would get my car started.. I called my husband because it was late and getting dark out (very dangerous). I had to go the whole weekend and week without a car that I've had for the pass 6 years. I contacted the dealership and they informed me that the part would be $1000, ridiculous! I was unaware of any recall and take my car to the dealer regularly and was never notified of a recall.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Jul 232016

Altima

I was parked at the hairdressers I came out my car would not start. It is the steering module which Nissan knows is a faulty part but doesn't want to do a recal for. They extended the warrenty instead of doing a recall I am 7 months past the extended warranty so am paying $1000 for a part that Nissan knows is their issue

- Johnston, RI, USA

Jul 082016

Altima

My 2009 Nissan Altima slows down from 75 mph to 40-35 after traveling for 4 hours on long distance (trips). I have had to pull over several times in order for the car to cool off and gain speed. It is extremely dangers to when big trucks and other vehicles are coming behind you at a fast speed and you have to pull over quickly. I have to put a transmission valve kit and cooler on my car because Nissan neglected to put these parts on my car. Shame on you Nissan. How can you sleep at night knowing your error, greed, or lack of compassion can cause people their lives while on the highway. This is a safety issue that has been complained about on various blogs and no recall has taken place. I am annoyed and then my case manager for my complaint told me I should have taken out the extended warranty. No, don't blame this on me. This is a manufacturing issue. It is unfair to pass the blame unto the consumers. Safety is first or has the new generation of manufactures forgotten about this

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

May 052016

Altima

Steering lock control unit failed. Car would not start left me stranded and needed to be towed to dealer. $ 1000 out of pocket cost for deffected part that extended warranty did not cover expensives due to end of their extended waranty campaign "??"like obviously Nissan North America Inc., have knowledge of the defective equiptment and need to recall the part.

- Firebaugh, CA, USA

Jun 202016

Altima

I have a defective steering lock which won't allow the car to start. There was no warning and for my general safety and use of my car, this problem needs to be resolved by Nissan motor Inc.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 102016

Altima

My 2009 Nissan Altima had a defective steering lock that caused me to be stranded alone late at night on June 10, 2016 - not able to start my car. My car had to be towed to a dealer the next day. This is a very dangerous situation to be in because I had no warning that this was going to happen and this time it was not too cold. I was able to use my cellphone to call a friend to help. I had to get a ride back to my car the next day and wait for a tow truck. I was without my vehicle for 3 days waiting for it to be serviced. This cost me $900 to fix. This is a defective part in the 2009 Nissan Altima and there is no way to know if it will happen again and should be covered by a recall for the life of the car.

- East Providence, RI, USA