CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

3.8

2010 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Feb 172015

Altima 4-cyl

The dash board in the car in melting, the dealer coral springs auto mall is ignoring the problem with dash. The reflection from the dash in direct sun light is becoming a serious safety issue and needs to repaired and owners need to warned before an accident happens.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Feb 082014

Altima 4-cyl

The dashboard is melting, soft to the touch, easily damaged. First noticed when I attempted to remove the trim around the radio to replace it because the display in unreadable when it's hot. When I did so, the dashboard seemed sticky and started breaking apart while trying to pry off the trim. I purchased specific tools for removing trim without damage but the dash is still too soft and sticky. So to replace the defective radio that Nissan says is not covered in the warranty I would destroy the dash causing a replacement of thousands. Also, I'm afraid that the plastic is so soft and sticky that in case of an accident, would the air bags deploy properly.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jul 242013

Altima

Nissan Altima sedan 2010 sl (leather) with cvt transmission; after driving with the ac on during heat wave I noticed water on driver/passenger floor dripping from the center console. I rarely use the ac rather have the windows open. After research online (this site as well with another complaint) and bring to a Nissan dealer they indicated the ac (condensation) drip pan drain/tube may be clogged or the sunroof drains may be clogged. They indicated that the cabin air filter may have deposited debris and dirt into the ac pan causing it to clog... Nissan needs to fix this problem or seal the pan next to the cabin filter so nothing can be transferred or moved to the filter/area to the nearby drains. I previously had the cabin filter replaced by a repair center spring 2013.

- Centerport, NY, USA

Jan 082013

Altima

The dashboard material is melting. There is a glare on the windshield now making it harder to see. Nissan refused to fix it.

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 112012

Altima 4-cyl

When servicing the vehicle for a bad battery, I told the service rep that water would leak into the vehicle and drip down the door trim onto the drivers side of the vehicle. They said there was a problem with the drain lines with the sunroof. (this has been opened only a few times since we owned the vehicle) they said they cleaned the lines. Since that time, I have noticed water on the drivers right side carpet. They asked me to bring in the car for service. On 28 Aug 12, I went out to my vehicle and heard water in the passenger door. I called our local Nissan service center for an appointment on 30 Aug 12. Thanks in advance for looking into this for us.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Jan 052012

Altima 4-cyl

This Nissan Altima was purchased new in Sept 2011. Since the purchase, we have noticed an excessive amount of rock chips in the paint. This vehicle is only driven in town and very rarely on the highways. Now the clear coat is peeling on the roof where there are no chips. I have attempted to resolve this with Nissan and they blame it on normal wear and tear. There are even chips on the sides of the car where it's nearly impossible for a rock to impact.

- Maurice, LA, USA