Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at

2010 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Nov 032014

I was driving down a residential road and my stability control turned off on its own and I could not turn it back on. At the time that it turned off my parking brake light came on, eventually it turned off but flashed on two more times as I was driving up hill. I was never able to turn the vdc (electronic stability control) back on.

- Lakewood , OH, USA

Oct 172014

Norfolk, Virginia - my 2010 Nissan Altima with push button start failed to start. All other electrical seemed fine. I had just previously noticed the ABS, vdc and slip warning lit while driving. After checking fuses, key fob batteries, etc. I attempted to pump the brakes several times and it finally started. Drove immediately to the dealer where I was told it was the brake lamp switch and harness which must be replaced at a cost of $550. He seemed to know with out of even looking what the problem was. When I questioned him about such an expensive switch, he only said "this happens a lot with this model." This should be recalled and fixed at Nissan's expense.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

May 272010

Car is all over the road when speed reaches 70 mph or more. Feels like your driving in a hurricane when there's no wind at all present. Brought this to Nissan's attention, but they said nothing is wrong with the car. Also pointed out that there are no chimes to alert/remind you of putting on seat belts. When car is in motion, passenger can undo seatbelt and no warning chime will occur. Again, Nissan said this is normal for their car.

- Jupiter, FL, USA