CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009-2010 Nissan Altima appears to have a defect where it occasionally refuses to start. We know the feeling, but it's just not acceptable in a car.

For the fix, Nissan dealers enjoy replacing the steering lock control unit for $800. Stranded Nissan owners have found that banging like hell on the steering lock unit at the base of the steering column will do the trick. Yes, the same unit that apparently has $800 worth of electronics.

How far do you have to drive to experience this? The average mileage at failure is just over 55,000 very short miles.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

7.8

2. replace battery (1 reports)
  3. replaced battery (1 reports)
2010 Nissan Altima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 032014

Altima SR 3.5L

I am very angry at the fact that the dealership cannot tell you what the problem is and Nissan won't do anything either.

Mar 072013

Altima SR 3.5L

I actually took the car to the dealership and they couldn't find the problem the only solutions they offered was to replace the battery with a discount on the battery problem still not solved.

Dec 172014

Altima SR 3.5L

I do not like the idea of having to call and get a ump for this car when there should be a recall for it.

Oct 062010

Altima S 2.5L

The car was too recently purchased for the battery to go bad. And it would happen a couple of more times that the battery all of a sudden just went so completely dead within hours of parking it that the keyless entry couldn't even open the door. I was parked on a tilt, so it made me think that it was some short in the system.

Oct 172012

Altima S 2.5L

The battery seemed to work fine, but then would just die and be completely dead. After it happened a couple of times I bought a gauge that measured voltage. There never seemed to be a voltage problem or low battery, but then, bang, it would be completely dead. It could be recharged once, maybe twice after this happened, but then it would be shot and have to be replaced.

Jan 082013

Altima S 2.5L

Had to have the battery replaced twice on a car with less than 30 thousand miles. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong with electrical system. I suspect some problem with the electrical system, because I will suddenly find the car unlocked and with both front windows down after having locked it and put the windows up. At first, I thought I had forgot, but it has happened too many times, and besides, I almost never drive with the windows down to begin with.

Sep 192012

Altima 2.5S V4

In the past three months I have had to jump my car TWICE. It is a 2010, this should not be occurring. The battery has been checked on both occasions and it was fine and did not need to be replaced. I believe there is something wrong with the push button electrical start system which needs to be looked into.

- , Bellevue, NE, USA

Apr 022013

Altima SL 2.4L

When I turn off the ignition and leave the car, it will be dead when I I return for no apparent reason.

- , Danville, VA, USA