CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009-2010 Nissan Altima appears to have a defect where it occasionally refuses to start. We know the feeling, but it's just not acceptable in a car.

For the fix, Nissan dealers enjoy replacing the steering lock control unit for $800. Stranded Nissan owners have found that banging like hell on the steering lock unit at the base of the steering column will do the trick. Yes, the same unit that apparently has $800 worth of electronics.

How far do you have to drive to experience this? The average mileage at failure is just over 55,000 very short miles.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

8.0

2010 Nissan Altima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Sep 192012

Altima 2.5S V4

In the past three months I have had to jump my car TWICE. It is a 2010, this should not be occurring. The battery has been checked on both occasions and it was fine and did not need to be replaced. I believe there is something wrong with the push button electrical start system which needs to be looked into.

- , Bellevue, NE, USA

Apr 022013

Altima SL 2.4L

When I turn off the ignition and leave the car, it will be dead when I I return for no apparent reason.

- , Danville, VA, USA