CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2010 Nissan Altima suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Aug 232016

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. Every time the vehicle was driven over a bump, a rattling noise was heard. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the failing motor mount and one strut needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 012014

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. The contact mentioned that the bottom of the vehicle would scrape the top of any speed bump. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the strut insulator failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V358000 (suspension). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Feb 062016

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. While the vehicle was undergoing routine maintenance, the contact was informed that the front driver side strut mounts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V358000 (suspension). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 012015

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front end of the vehicle swerved violently and rattled when a bump in the road was struck. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who performed a diagnostic, which located failures with the front struts, bushing, and coil spring. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V358000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 77,134.

- Bivins, TX, USA

Jul 032014

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle veered to the right. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000. MA 09/22

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jun 152015

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while attempting to reverse, an abnormal noise emitted from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that both front coil springs had fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Pierson, MI, USA

Jan 222015

Altima

My check engine light came on and I made an appointment for Monday at planet Nissan. On Saturday 1/24/15 the light went off, but I've heard some knocking and the steering makes a rubbing sound. So far the master cylinder had to be replaced, which I filed a complaint here, and was reimbursed, but before reimbursement they told me my VIN did not match. So I find that questionable. I've put on new struts on the front and rear. Nissan said the check engine light had to do with the transmission and it was under warranty and has been repaired. Now they are telling me that the front strut mounts are cracked which is not covered. I've been on line and see that 2010 models have had this problem. They have not located the rubbing sound in the steering wheel. I've called Nissan consumer department and am awaiting a reply. So far the master cylinder, struts front and back, the transmission, and now the front strut mounts. On a car with this little mileage, I don't feel secure in this car and will never own another Nissan. I think they should repair the strut mounts. I've never had so many problems with a car before. I would say very poor workmanship. I was looking forward to paying the car off as I owe very little at this time and I keep my cars a long time, but feel I have a lemon and am very disappointed. As much as we pay for cars today there shouldn't be so many problems.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 072014

Altima 4-cyl

To whom it may concern: This particular incident date was on 8/7/14 but also reported 8/23/14 & 9/30/14 at two Nissan dealerships. I was driving at 65mph for 1 hour on the highway and felt a loss of control. The steering wheel abruptly turned right, I had to attempt to keep the vehicle within the lane and slowly decelerated to a stop on the roadside without immediate braking. While braking at 15-20mph I applied the brake which jerked the entire car to the right, suspension was stiff on passenger front strut. The car had barely 70000 miles, had been up to date on services, was towed to the dealership. The service department could not duplicate the steering incident. 8/23/14 the car experienced a sudden loss of steering with a "dragging" feel and nearly hit another vehicle, car seemed to "float" and could not find a "straight" line, either it turned slightly left or sudden right. This was incredibly concerning and I felt it was no longer safe to drive. Dealership could not duplicate, told to install brake booster. 9/30/14 unable to operate the vehicle, upon start it would "knock" when put into gear, grinding noise to the passenger front side, turned the steering wheel right if coasting at 5mph. Dealer could not duplicate on a test drive but advised a new steering rack, a diagnosis to a problem that was not seen in the shop. Almost every time the car has been running for longer than an hour or at highway speed I have lost steering control. I have had my wife with me on two events, this is unacceptable and dangerous, I will be towing the car from the dealership as I feel it is unsafe to drive. The steering, "knock" from suspension and transmission are all compromised and documented.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Altima 4-cyl

There is a loud noise. I have heard same noise from other Altima's. I see there was a recall for the a crack in the struts for this model. I feel it should be fixed by the manufacture.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 072014

Altima 4-cyl

During a routine service I was told that the shock absorbers were in need of replacement. Since this is a critical part of the car in terms of stability and since there was only 39000 miles on the car I thought it was likely a fault in manufacture. I am a senior citizen and only drive on well paved roads and highways. I do not pull a trailer or the like. I contacted Nissan about this but they declined to take action. I am concerned that this might represent a safety hazard for others who may not have this defect discovered.

- Novato, CA, USA

Apr 182014

Altima 4-cyl

I started to hear a rattling noise under the hood of my car. It was found to be that the alternator/clutch was about to go out. I could also hear it when driving and pressing my foot on the gas. The rattling noise was present when I was in park or reverse.

- Ralph, AL, USA

Feb 032013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns 2010 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle shook violently. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact realized that the driver rear wheel was bent. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the suspension rod fractured and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 39,000. Updated 03/12/13 the dealer informed the consumer, she must have hit something extremely large, as the welding had completely snapped. Updated 03/13/13

- San Jose , CA, USA

Dec 112010

Altima

I was driving normal speed limit 60 mph on the fwy when we heard a noise like a big pop sound. Right away when I tried to slow down to get over ( when I applied the brake) the steering wheel began shaking so bad that I was unable to control the wheel. It felt as if the brakes weren't working. The car spun out of control and crashed in the carpool divider. This was a brand new Nissan Altima 2010 coupe with 60K miles on the car. We did not hit anything at the time or even before the accident occurred, all parts on the car was brand new. I remembered that the more that I tried to apply the brakes the steering wheel shock harder and harder to where I was unable to even control it.

- Lancaster , CA, USA

Oct 282010

Altima 4-cyl

The contact leased a 2010 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the suspension failed while she was driving 70 mph; the vehicle also shook at low speeds as well. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the vehicle was working mormal. The contact called the manufacturer who referred her to the dealer. The failure mileage was 230 and the current mileage was 897. Updated 01/20/11 the consumer believed the shocks were too weak for the vehicle. Also, the steering wheel became stiff and would not turn, and the speedometer was not giving the accurate speed. Updated evoq 02./18/11 upadted 04/15/11

- Temple City, CA, USA

Apr 092010

Altima 4-cyl

2010 Nissan Altima making a loud clunk noise. Consumer states the noise happens only when it's cold outside, the vehicle is cold, and at speeds 30 mph and less. The consumer stated the noise was so bad, it felt as though the vehicle was going to stall. The consumer also stated it felt as though the transmission was slipping. The vehicle would drag/sputter. The slipping was sometimes accompanied by a rattling noise coming from the underbody which lasted for 3-4 seconds. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problems the consumer experienced.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA