2011 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Nissan Altima:

2011 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Nov 022016

Altima

Steering wheel lock mechanism malfunctioning. Steering wheel locks, brake pad locks. Car turns on but engine will not start. Key fob opens door. Lights and dash light up.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Dec 012014

Altima

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Altima. While driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed and there was a loud rattling noise and vibration coming from the vehicle. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V371000 (suspension). The failure mileage was approximately 33,000.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Mar 162015

Altima 4-cyl

I was traveling with 2 small children on a straight way on hwy and the front tire blew in the sidewall of my Michelin tire. I was pulled across the other lane into a ditch striking a stone culvert after going airborne. I had purchased a set of Michelin tires and they were a 70,000 mile tire and had 23,000 miles on them when this occurred. After investigation it was determined a blowout as there was no damage to wheel indication of road hazard that would have caused this type of damage to tire. In other words, the tire and wheel were in perfect condition other that the blown part in the sidewall and if I would have hit something hard enough to cause the tire that type of damage, they said it would have definitely affected my wheel. The tire had to be defective as there is reports are all over internet that these incidents are occurring with Michelin tires. Buyer beware! my car was a total loss. I am without work and without a car now.

- Dresden, TN, USA

Jan 162015

Altima 4-cyl

There have been several times the car was unable to start and unable to be shut off without having to be towed. They claimed it was a battery issue, but the car almost acted like it was encountering a software crash both times. I've had to have the exhaust / catalytic converter replaced on the car. I've had several major steering problems. At one point, a tie rod had to be replaced on this car. The latest steering issue just occurred in the last few weeks. On January 16, I took a road trip with my fiancÉE and her sister to memphis, tn to visit her other sister. On the way down we noticed the car was difficult to steer. Upon inspection, we found the power steering fluid was low. We replaced it. However, we found it strange given the excellent maintenance on the car. As we drove, the steering issues recurred. We figured out there was a leak in the system. We bought a lot of power steering fluid in order to make it to memphis (there weren't many major cities on our way between where we came from and memphis, so we had to get to memphis.) several mechanics confirmed the issue was the rack & pinion system on the car. The dealership that ultimately repaired the car mentioned this brake was highly unusual, not due to poor maintenance, and not due to road hazards. Since the car is not out of warranty, I had to pay for the repair myself. Given the other major repairs that have occurred in the short time I've had this car, especially given the very diligent maintenance I've been performing on the car and despite the many miles already on it, I believe I've been sold a lemon. As a result of this costly repair, I'll probably have to sell a portion of my 401K. I additionally had added expenses sending my fiancÉE and her sister back home so they could go to work, room & board, car rental, and lost a day of work.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Altima 4-cyl

Steering wheel is peeling on the top and is soft to the point where at any given moment the foam will be in my hand.the car was a certified pre-owned vehicle by Nissan and bought at Nissan. They reviewed the defect to be replaced at "goodwill" but it did not qualify as a reason to a replace; even though it is a potential danger to the driver of the vehicle.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 312012

Altima

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Altima hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35-40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. In addition, the tires would not respond to movements of the steering wheel. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer where they advised her that the rack and pinion failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure and current mileages were approximately 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

May 022011

Altima

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Altima. The contact was driving 30 mph on a grooved pavement as the vehicle began to independently move back and forth. The contact stated that the vehicle would not stay in a straight line and the vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose a failure with the vehicle. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 500.

- San Diego, CA, USA