2012 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Altima:

2012 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Mar 132015

Altima

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and the failure went away. The contact stated that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Aug 082016

Altima

Im driving down the freeway taking the curve downtown dallas & my car stalls O power available. I cannot steer to coast, nor put can ion emergency flashers. Where it dies it sits. This is a major safety issue and Nissan cannot figure out why. I have only had car for 2 months. Very disappointed and scared.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 012015

Altima

Car loses power after driving for so long and decreases in speed. It's happened several times. I pull over to give car a rest but it's dangerous because it won't accelerate when it happens and on the interstate is no place to be driving 40mph!!

- Independence, KY, USA

Apr 032013

Altima

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that in order for the vehicle to start it required a jump start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The failure occurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jul 152015

Altima

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. When driving in weather above 84 degrees, the cruise control failed while driving approximately 70 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cvt transmission overheated and the vehicle needed a valve body and oil cooler to correct the defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. The VIN was not provided. Updated 09/06/16

- Auburn, ME, USA

Mar 012016

Altima

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while driving at 60 mph, the engine compartment vibrated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Altima

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. When the air conditioner was turned on, the smell of burning oil was noticed. In addition, the vehicle vibrated when started and would not switch into gear properly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jun 062015

Altima

Twice, I was driving at a speed of 75 mph on I25 headed North. As I arrived into Colorado springs, my vehicle decelerated to 30 mph in a 65 mph zone. I immediately pulled over. I waitied for about 15 min. Started my vehicle up & still it would only go 30 mph. I turned around & headed back for pueblo. Unsure & afraid that my vehicle would not make it home. Once my car was sitting for an hour, the transmission allowed the speed to rise above 30 mph. The same incident occurred on 6/27/2015. I am afraid to drive my vehicile out of town, in fear of getting stranded, the car overheating & the mechanical transmission malfunctioning. The Nissan dealer in order to resolve the problem, needs to install a "transmission cooling system". I purchased the extended warranty thru 1st extended, over $2600. They refuse to honor the warranty, claiming the cooler was ot in the car to begin with. I spoke with Nissan & southwest motors (where I purchased the car around 1 1/2 yrs. Ago. They've both confirmed that this exact problem has occurred in many Nissan vehicles. If the warranter is unwilling to warrant the problem, which is a major mechanical malfunction, then my 2012 Nissan Altima needs to be recalled! please help me for I fear this problem is a safety hazard driving on the hwy at a reduced speed & becoming stranded.

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

May 012015

Altima 4-cyl

Catalytic converter heat shield can corrode causing a rattle during acceleration and possibly causing check engine light illumination. The common repair for this issue is replacement of the damaged catalytic converter. If left unnoticed may dig into the engine or fly off onto a motorist.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Apr 112015

Altima 4-cyl

I was driving my car and engine just cut off completely with no system warnings or anything. Initially, I thought this was a fluke and something I had done. Car started back immediately. As a result, I thought nothing else of it until the car did the same thing again while I was stopped at a red light later the same day (again there were no warning lights on control panel. This has occurred on 2 other occasions. Car was taken to repair shop were nothing was found wrong. Since then I have had trouble with the positive battery cable connection. Unsure if the two are related. Needs further investigation as this is potentially dangerous.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Apr 022015

Altima

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After waiting for a few moments, the vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Jan 242015

Altima 4-cyl

Engine quit while driving, brakes failed, steering locked up a deadly situation. Dealer claims it was due to a loose battery cable. If so a loose battery cable could kill you or others.

- Newton, MA, USA

Dec 162014

Altima

I was at a red light and the car just shut down. I had to turn the car off and restart it! this is the second time this has happened. The first time about a year ago. I thought I had done something to make it happen the first the first time. Now I know it is the car. This is serious and scary! from reading the complaints I see this has happened to others and while they were driving!

- Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Nov 252013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The problem recurred about four times and the vehicle was towed to the dealer where the mechanic could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was then taken to another independent mechanic who also could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not N repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/18/2014

- Potomac , MD, USA

Jun 272014

Altima 4-cyl

While in operation climbing up and inclines this vehicle engine lose power to approx: 40 - 50 miles and hour, along with a whining in the transmission, also the front suspension appears to be shaking. Windows refuse to go up and down.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Apr 102014

Altima 4-cyl

Altima was serviced at a dealership less than a week ago for oil and filter change. I was driving the 2012 Altima from work on 4/10/14. It looked the car was stalling on the highway multiple times. I slowed down and managed to get home, all along it looked like it was going to stop any time, luckily it did not happen. But this morning (4/11/14) it stopped on the driveway stalled after moving 15 feet. Towed the car to the dealership to get it repaired.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 242013

Altima 4-cyl

I had pulled into a parking lot at a local gym, as I placed the car in park, the vehicle continued to stay in drive and surged forward into the building. Once the vehicle hit the building, I once again tried to place the car in park, and it once again surged forward and hit the building. The only way I could stop the car was to hit the power button to turn the car off. Once the officer arrived on scene, he asked me to place the car in neutral so that he could move the car off the curb, however, the car continued to move forward. As a result the car was once again powered down to avoid any further incident.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Apr 122013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle made a loud a noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the frontal exhaust tube needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle had a slight vibration starting from the rear of the vehicle all the way to the pedal. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered to cover the parts under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 8,900 and the current mileage was 9,200.

- Redwood City , CA, USA

Sep 202012

Altima

Purchased my 2012 Nissan Altima coupe 8/2/2012. In just over 30 days the paint was coming off the rear bumper on both sides near the rear tire where the bumper meets the body of the car. Took the car in to have the bumper repainted. Within 60 days the paint was coming off in the same place again. Took the car back last month and was repainted with 3 flaws...needless to say it has to go back yet again!! also, within a few days of purchase I noticed that the radio would not pick up local radio stations without a lot of static and interference. Only 1 out of 12 presets do I get on a consistent basis and I only drive within a 25-30 mile radius of my home. Took to the dealer and they said it was because of the window tint. Gave them information from 3M that the tint would not interfere with the radio and then they said they didn't hear it. Taken back on several occasions and no resolve. Noticed 3/17/2013 that my leather wrapped steering wheel has split in the grain of leather and it is right where my right hand goes to drive. Transmission is not consistent...when I let off the gas briefly it is as if someone has hit the brake pedal and the car "draws back"...very annoying!!! I also purchased xzilon paint protection system at the dealers recommendation because the car is black and I live in fl...now 7 months later this protectant has completely ruined the paint on my car and shows horrible marks on the hood and leaves terrible water spots on the vehicle that are almost impossible to remove. Taking to the dealer for the new paint issue tomorrow. I am hoping to just trade in and get another car...unfortunately under the circumstances it will be a Nissan...but will not be an Altima!

- Auburndale, FL, USA