2012 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Altima:

2012 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012016

Altima

The airbag light on the dash came on and the airbag light doesn't go on or off regardless of if someone is in the passenger seat. In June 2016, the dealership recalibrated the system and the issue went away. Three months later, the light is back on and the dealer said the code says its a passenger sear sensor issue that requires the seat to be replaced for $850. Nissan refused to cover this issue.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jul 282016

Altima

While traveling at any rate of speed on freeway or city street the light for the passenger side airbag goes off and on whether someone is sitting in the seat or not.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Jun 102016

Altima

The passenger air bag censor blinks on my dash on/off for passenger whether or not someone is in the seat or not. Last time my husband sat in the passenger seat and the censor showed passenger air bag off. Not at all safe this needs to be recalled asap before someone dies from this!!

- Fort Pierce, FM, USA

May 022016

Altima

The recall which recently came out for the airbag sensor in the front passenger seat needs to include 2012 Altima (not just 2013-2016). I have had this issue several times in the last year. There have been instances where I am in the front passenger seat and the airbag sensor says the airbag is off. This happens whether the car is stationary or moving.

- Salina, KS, USA

Mar 012016

Altima

I believe the recall which came out yesterday for the airbag sensor in the front passenger seat should include 2012 Altima (not just 2013-2016). I have had this issue several times in the last 6 months or so where I may or may not have a passenger or items on my front passenger seat and my airbag indicator light in the middle of the dash board will come on at random, even when there is a full-size adult in the seat. This happens whether the car is stationary or moving.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Oct 062015

Altima

During start up, and while driving, the air bag indicator on the dash has been blinking non stop and the passenger air bag signal shows that it is not working wit ha passenger in the vehicle. NHTSA campaign 11V408000 clearly describes these exact symptoms for this year make and model car. When I contacted Nissan of America, they said that this car does not fall under this recall, even though all of the factors are the same, they told me it was a "coincidence" that I just happened to have all the same symptoms. I absolutely will not accept that.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Feb 212016

Altima

I was driving in the rain on 2-21-16 approaching a traffic light. The car accelerated when brake was applied, resulting in a 25 mph collision. Airbags did not deploy. I was bruised but did not require medical attention. I was cited for running the light. I am now afraid to drive the car.

- Snyder, TX, USA

Dec 072015

Altima

I noticed my passenger airbag "off" indicator was illuminated and my dashboard warning light was blinking. No one was in the passenger seat at the time. I took my car in for service at the dealership and they found an error code B1018 OCS. This problem did not have an active recall. The dealership replaced the passenger side seat cushion assembly and tested the airbag system. I contacted Nissan customer care and received a case number. The agent called the dealership to get additional information about the error. The dealership felt that Nissan may cover the costs of the defect. The customer care specialist said there was nothing they could do since my car was out of warranty and was not part of a recall.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 012015

Altima

I was involved in a 4 car pile up on the highway. My airbag did not go off on impact and was about 30-40 sec. Delayed. Airbag deployed when I was unbuckling my seatbelt and getting out of the car. Most of my injuries were caused by the airbag. Car was totaled I'm making this report in case someone purchases car at auction and only replaces driver airbag hopefully they will check curtain airbags for defects as well so someone else doesn't get hurt.

- Camas, WA, USA

Mar 172013

Altima

The contact owned a 2012 Nissan Altima. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the contact's vehicle veered off the road, crashed into three trees, and flipped over. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained head, neck, back, and knee injuries that required medical attention. A police was report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 172015

Altima

On the above date, my vehicle was involved in an accident which after thorough assessment by the body shop and by the insurance company's field adjusters, was deemed a total loss. My vehicle's steering suddenly became very difficult due to the front wheels becoming seemingly locked and steering in the right direction was impossible. Steering wheel was extremely hard to turn as well. The airbags did not deploy either. Everything happened so fast. There was a loss of control which caused the vehicle to overturn or "flip". the vehicle was still upside down when passersby and law official arrived.this accident could have been avoided if we'd received prior notification. We know there were recalls for this year, make and model vehicle and those similar, however we were never notified by anyone of said recalls.this accident could have been fatal, that's how bad it was.by the grace of god it wasn't.

- Gaston, NC, USA

Aug 282015

Altima 4-cyl

On August 28, 2015, the person had ran a red light which caused me to T-bone his car in the rear. Therefore it was a hard impact collision and neither air bags deployed for our own safety....updated 09/28/15.......updated 12/10/15

- College Park , GA, USA

Jul 122015

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2012 Nissan Altima. While making a left turn and braking at approximately 35 mph, another vehicle crashed head on into the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt failed to restrain the contact, causing her to sustain a laceration that required medical attention. The front passenger sustained a fractured sternum and internal injuries that required medical attention. The rear passenger sustained five cracked ribs and a cracked sternum that required medical attention. The driver of the other vehicle was also injured and required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000....updated 07/30/15 updated 9/23/15

- Northfield, NJ, USA

Apr 022012

Altima

Passenger side air bags intermittently off

- Waco, TX, USA

Mar 232015

Altima

Hello there I have a Nissan Altima and took it to get a diagnosis and they said it was the passenger seat cushion/OCS sensor. They said we broke the sensor with a water bottle. I said okay because I didn't know better. After doing some research I found out that the sensor is inside the cushion seat so how could a water bottle reach that sensor. It doesn't its self explanatory their car came defective. I'm paralyzed from the waist down. If I get in an accident the ones that are going to be help responsible is Nissan because they sold me a defective car. I have the right to file action against your guys behalf. If you look at howstuffworks.com it will show you exactly what I'm talking about. I do not have $550 extra for their mistake. Thank you and hope you guys take car of it. Also I bought this car brand new 7000 miles on it October 9th, 2012.

- Hollister, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Altima 4-cyl

My 2012 Nissan Altima was stopped at a traffic light, the Altima was struck from behind by another vehicle at an estimated speed of approximately 35-40 mph without braking (stated by police) the driver's side rear seat belt failed to secure and the passenger's head was thrown back and forth striking both the driver's side head rest as well as the rear passenger's head rest. The passenger was evaluated in the emergency room diagnosis "cervical sprain and a closed head injury". passenger #2 was sitting in the front passenger seat when the side curtain airbag failed to deploy. Passenger's glasses were knocked off of her face due to force of impact and as a result of passenger's head hitting the passenger side window several times resulting in closed head injury, neck and back sprain.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Sep 172014

Altima

The passenger airbag light flickers on and off or will stay on for periods of time. It is completely random and will do this when no one is in the seat and when there is someone in the seat.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Dec 152013

Altima

The 'airbag off' light for the passenger seat turns on randomly, regardless of who is in the seat (140+ pounds). The car was purchased off lease last year from East coast auto mall, 340 sylvan ave, englewood cliffs, NJ 07632. We called them and asked about if the airbag would deploy if the light was on, even though there was an adult in the seat, this was their response: "well no.. but you're supposed to be wearing a seat belt." Last Nissan I'll buy, after owning 4 consecutively.

- Southfields, NY, USA

Sep 202012

Altima

Our 2012 Nissan Altima's passenger airbag light will shows the airbag being inactive while a person is sitting in the passenger seat. All people who have sat in this seat this issue occurred are over 120 pounds. Twice we took the car to the planet Nissan in las vegas where we purchased the car. Their service department said since the issue can be replicated they cannot do anything to fix the issue. This has happened at least a 100 hundreds times in the past two years of ownership. Every time we call a dealership we hear the same answer unless we can see the problem and duplicate it we cannot help you. The issue is the airbag light can be lit (showing airbag to active) and on the way to the dealership the light goes out and we are back to square one. After two years of getting nowhere with this we took video of the last time it happened. We brought this to autonation Nissan in las vegas and they check the wiring harness said it is not loose there is nothing else we can do unless we can duplicate the issue. We logged a complaint with Nissan usa hq and received the same response, sorry we cannot help you nay further. With all the recent and past Nissan airbag recalls I am shocked at their lack of wanting to do something extra to troubleshoot the problem. I have researched many car forums and this is a common problem with Nissan, they push the consumer away with the typical cannot replicate the problem therefore it isn't one. At this point there is no guarantee anyone sitting in the passenger seat is safe in a head on crash. Is it going to take a person's death for Nissan to step up and make this right? this eerily reminiscent of GM not acting on the faulty ignition switches in a timely manner.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 182014

Altima 4-cyl

My son was driving, lost control of the vehicle, the vehicle veered off of the road and hit a tree, went through a residential backyard fence and came to rest 3ft. Before an 8ft. Embankment into a creek. The airbags deployed and he had to be extricated from the vehicle. He suffered the following injuries: - 2 broken vertebra in his neck - broken clavicle - 4 broken ribs - collapsed lungs - laceration on his upper left arm.

- Napa, CA, USA