2012 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Altima:

2012 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jul 172015

Altima

On the above date, my vehicle was involved in an accident which after thorough assessment by the body shop and by the insurance company's field adjusters, was deemed a total loss. My vehicle's steering suddenly became very difficult due to the front wheels becoming seemingly locked and steering in the right direction was impossible. Steering wheel was extremely hard to turn as well. The airbags did not deploy either. Everything happened so fast. There was a loss of control which caused the vehicle to overturn or "flip". the vehicle was still upside down when passersby and law official arrived.this accident could have been avoided if we'd received prior notification. We know there were recalls for this year, make and model vehicle and those similar, however we were never notified by anyone of said recalls.this accident could have been fatal, that's how bad it was.by the grace of god it wasn't.

- Gaston, NC, USA

Jan 242015

Altima 4-cyl

Engine quit while driving, brakes failed, steering locked up a deadly situation. Dealer claims it was due to a loose battery cable. If so a loose battery cable could kill you or others.

- Newton, MA, USA

Oct 302014

Altima

Car goes to the right..will not respond when trying to bring back. Then to much. Like out of alignment. Going to replace steering column. Going to fix ordered part. Dec 8 2014.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Oct 182014

Altima 4-cyl

My son was driving, lost control of the vehicle, the vehicle veered off of the road and hit a tree, went through a residential backyard fence and came to rest 3ft. Before an 8ft. Embankment into a creek. The airbags deployed and he had to be extricated from the vehicle. He suffered the following injuries: - 2 broken vertebra in his neck - broken clavicle - 4 broken ribs - collapsed lungs - laceration on his upper left arm.

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 132013

Altima 4-cyl

When I try to start the car, the power comes on(radio comes on, dashboard lights), but the ignition doesn't start. The car has less than 15K miles on it.

- Arleta, CA, USA

Feb 072013

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a 2012 Nissan Altima. While driving 35-40 mph the car began rattling, noise, bing like and vibration. When I reached the speed of 60mph, it began to shake and jerk. It's really hard to explain what it feels like, but I know it's not normal, I took it to the dealership, they said the front tires need rotated. The tires were rotated and the problem still exist. This car was a certified/used purchase on Feb. 5,2013.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 312012

Altima 4-cyl

Purchased my new Altima S2.5 convience pkg plus 1st of Aug 2012. I bought new car to be safe this was my 3rd Altima. Mon. Dec 31, 2012 @ 11;15 a.M. I made right turn into home driveway. My driveway is steep house sits down was proceeding forward down driveway to enter garage. I had brakes no warnings or indicators anything was wrong. Top of drive had brakes on, then let off little to allow car to go forward. As I eased off liitle on brakes down car started to accelerate to fast so tried to apply pressure to brakes and went to floor, started pumping brakes and nothing car would not slow down to avoid going through garage door or side of house veered to right steering was little tight all could think was keep pumping brakes! car went off embankment airborne landed on neighbors driveway empact shook me. Car is proceeding through their backyard still pumping brakes no results I see huge tree headed for frantic to stop car next I know I am dased airbag deployed car is on drivers side up aganist tree see smoke coming out front. Ema had be pulled out backseat through passenger side. Car went off 6' striaght retaining wall tires pulled cinder blocks down kept me from head on tree. My brakes failed person towed my car while incline said had no brakes, but body shop said have brakes they're not going total car or check master cylinder $13,000 damage it can be repaired, but can't drive this car it is not safe for me. My brakes failed. I bought new 2012 Altima my 3rd one, car 4 mos. Old 4,000 miles this shouldn't happen. Learned recall sent out 2012-2013 power steering bolts. I had go by ambulance to er I have been hurt. Nissan making me gather info send to investigate if defect. Taken so long ins gives rental car 25 days Nissan won't provide one until through investigating for defect which hasn't statred. My car is not safe and I have prove to them. Your car should not hurt you!

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 062012

Altima 4-cyl

The steering wheel was turned to go right, however, the vehicle kept going straight.

- North Palm Beach, FL, USA