Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 13 of 16)

Jun 142013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger airbag light comes on intermittently. This began immediately after purchasing a 2013 Nissan Altima. 35 miles. I have brought the car to the dealership. They reset the sensor and said there was nothing more that could be done. The problem continues and the car is unsafe to drive with anyone sitting in the passenger seat. I'm not having much luck with Nissan Consumer Affairs. They say they will contact the dealership and will file my case and contact me if there is a recall on this issue. Help!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 132013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician reset the air bag system but the failure continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 052013

Altima 4-cyl

Seat frame with new sensor replaced as per 2013 Altima recall stating that the air bag light comes on when passenger is in the seat. Zero point reset was done as well. Multiple times since then over the last 3 months have had multiple occurrences of passengers of various weights sit in the front passenger seat and the light has remained lit from vehicle start, or illuminated after a period of time after starting to drive.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

May 132013

Altima 4-cyl

Front seat passenger "airbag off" light operates intermittently when my wife (98 pounds) is the front seat passenger. Nissan engineers and technicians stated that the airbag system on our Altima was "operating as it had been designed to operate". this is after replacing the computer and front seat sensors which were determined to be defective. It was suggested that my wife was moving around and that triggered the light to intermittently come on or off. This is not the case, the warning light can come on or go off while my wife is sitting perfectly still in the seat. Front seat passenger safety is very important, that is why airbags are required on new vehicles. Because my wife only weights 98 pounds she should be protected when in the front seat of the car. The Consumer Affairs representative told me that my wife would be safer with no airbag deployment. With the light on sometimes and sometimes not, where is the front seat protection that the engineers designed?

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Feb 052013

Altima 4-cyl

2013 Nissan Altima that at times passenger air bag off light is on even though a 130lb person is sitting in seat. After 4 occurrences and seeing a recall for sensor issues I took car to dealer and was told my car not part of recall and they did not find any computer codes to indicate a problem. They could not duplicate the problem. No actions taken. I am concerned about is the air bag working if we have an accident.

- Bluffton, IN, USA

Jan 042013

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased the car in September and have observed that when there is a passenger in the front passenger seat, the passenger side airbag warning light comes on and may or may not go off after I have been driving for a considerable period of time. I have reported it to the dealer when I have taken the car in for the scheduled tune-up and oil changes but they have not been able to find the cause of this problem. They have suggested that it might be caused by insufficient weight on the passenger seat, but they have been unable to tell me what is the minimum weight requirement. I find that having the warning light on is very disconcerting since it may be indicating a safety problem.

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 062013

Altima 4-cyl

My "passenger airbag off" light comes on intermittently as many other users have reported. This happens with adults in the passenger seat between 115-130lbs. I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they did a factory reset. The problem didn't go away. The second time, they told me it was working fine even though the technician agreed the problem would concern her too if it was her car. This needs to be a recall, this is a serious safety issue.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jun 212013

Altima 4-cyl

Front passenger seat airbag light comes on while a passenger is sitting in the front seat. This has happened many times since buying the car on 3/202013. The car has been back to the dealer at least 5 times and I'm told everything is working correctly. Nissan needs O correct this safety issue.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Jun 202013

Altima 4-cyl

So I have been having this problem ever since I purchased this vehicle. The passenger air bag off switch turns on while an adult is sitting in the seat and car is being driven. I have brought it in for repairs 4 separate times. The first time they performed a "zero point" reset. A few days went by and it did it again. I took it back 2 times after that and they kept saying they could not duplicate the problem even though I have video of it on my phone. So I took it to a different dealership to see what they would say about it and the many other problems I am experiencing. They had my car for 10 days. I personally spoke and test drove with the technician and he told me he performed the zero point reset again. But when I picked it up the paperwork only states that they could not reproduce the problem and no work was performed. But last night the same night I picked it up it did it again and again I have video evidence of it switching off while sitting in it and driving. This is a huge safety issue, and someone needs to makes Nissan fix it. Oh and the loaner car which was a 2013 Nissan rogue did the same exact thing and I have 2 videos of it.

- Reston, VA, USA

Jun 162013

Altima 4-cyl

The passenger airbag status indicator light illuminated (above radio console), indicating passenger airbag was off, at 10:36pm with a full size adult female passenger sitting and buckled in the passenger seat. Prior to that incident, earlier in the evening, the passenger airbag status indicator light was not illuminated, indicating the airbag was active, at 9:14pm with the passenger seat empty and no other load placed in contact with the seat. Two minutes later at 9:16pm the passenger airbag status indicator changed state and illuminated after turning left onto another street.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 012013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated she received the recall notice under NHTSA campaign number: 13V069000 (air bags). The manufacturer stated the part for the recall repair was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 1500.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jan 212013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger air bag indicates off with occupant in seat.- returned to dealer for repair on Jan,21, Apr 4, May 14 and June 4. dealer replaced occupant sensors on April 4,2013. Problem was not rectified, they claim there is no defect. Filed complaint with Nissan Consumer Affairs, they claim they could only go by what dealer states. Therefore they are useless to consumer.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 042013

Altima 4-cyl

Driver' side rear view mirror vibrates while driving at all speeds. I have taken my car several times to several different dealers to replace the mirror and mirror housing and problem has not been fixed. Mirror continues to vibrate. Also, I got several letters of recalls on this car, such as the sensors on the airbags and the spare tire being over-inflated. Also, the airbag light has turned on twice and does not turn off, even while driving. I do not feel safe in this car at all, this car is a lemon.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Dec 012012

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger's air bag turns on and off randomly while an adult (150 lbs) is sitting while car is moving at different speeds (0 to 80 mph). I took car to dealership in January and reported problem to the service manager and he stated that it was normal. I explained to the manager how that could not be normal because the passenger can suffer serious injuries or even death if we had an accident. The service manager stated he checked the car's computer and there we no error codes. The car is not included in the recall Nissan issued in April. Now, I'm nervous/worried when I have a somebody in the passenger's side and the airbag light turns off randomly. In addition, the electrical steering pump makes a loud vibrating noise at low speeds. Service manager stated it's not normal but Nissan does not know how to fix the problem.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 252013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger air bag off warning light comes on intermittently, even with a person over 100 lbs. In the front passenger seat. This has been an issue since the car was new. I brought the car into the dealer and they "recalibrated" the sensor, but this did not fix the issue. The recent passenger air bag recall did not include my VIN, so it appears that Nissan has no idea how to fix this. By reading these complaints on, it appears that this is a widespread issue. How long will Nissan's customers be forced to drive around with compromised safety systems?

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 142013

Well I noticed that my passenger airbag off light was on with a passenger sitting in the vehicle, it has done this many times, and I even have a video of me sitting in it and I weight 180lbs with the light on while the car is being driven. I have taken it in to the dealership 3 different times for this problem. Each time they have told me that they have reset the seat. It is still doing it, the video came after the third time and just 3 days ago. I called Nissan about this and my other big problems and they have told me that I should take it to another dealer. There is a recall on this through Nissan and yet I have brought it in 3 separate times and they still keep telling me its ok. No sir. Nissan seems to just not care I have asked them many times for a Nissan rep to come out and look at my car and they just keep telling me to take it to a different dealer. The problem is all the Nissan dealers around me are owned and managed by the same company. And Nissan will not help me with a loaner car if I drive it 200 miles away to the next dealer. So I am just screwed. Very upset with how Nissan runs their business. This is my first and last Nissan ever!

- Reston, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Altima 4-cyl

I have reported to Nissan several times about my vehicle having squeaky brakes. They supposedly added a stint to quiet the brakes but that didn't work. Also the airbag light is not functioning properly.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 052012

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag off warning message was illuminated. The passenger's seat was occupied when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who determined that the air bag was operable and without failure. The contact was concerned because the failure occurred while his wife, sat in the seat. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 30. The current mileage was 8,000.

- Port Washington , NY, USA

Feb 012013

On at least three occasions the air bag indicator has indicated that the air bag has been turned off. In all of these cases an adult has occupied the passenger seat. This issue is not consistent. In one case when it did not deploy I turned the car off and then on again and it appears to work correctly. At this time I do not know if the airbag is engaged or not. I consider this a severe safety issue.

- Montgomery, MN, USA

May 112013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger side air bag light off is coming on with an adult sitting in the seat. Took car in to dealership. They ran computer test and nothing came up. Test drove with me sitting in passenger seat and problem still happened. Tech performed multipoint vehicle inspection and nothing came up. Even thou problem is still there, Nissan states all systems operating to specification. In my opinion, nothing was done to correct the problem. I'm hoping Nissan does not wait until someone is hurt or killed to issue a recall.

- Mantua, NJ, USA