CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima is showing multiple early problem trends, prompting us to give it our “beware of this clunker” badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Not to mention constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

2. new transmission (14 reports)
  3. nothing fixed (9 reports)
  4. replace transmission (8 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 122014

• CVT transmission

After transmission replacement, Car is still randomly shuddering at highway speeds. The loud growling noise that started after the new transmission was replaced was thought to be a "bad wheel bearing". It was replaced. Guess what, the same noise is still happening when driving.

I am amazed that Nissan doesn't have the technology to narrow the transmission and/or engine problems down to correct the situation the first time. But rather has the excessive funds to keep "repairing" (insert sarcastic smirk here) the same issues over and over. Not a satisfied customer. I have come across those "I just love my Nissan" owners. My first question is how old is your car? To which is typically 2010,2009,2008...etc.

Not many I talk to owning a 2011 and newer that have been overly impressed with the recurring problems the car has. I am quick to let these "satisfied" Nissan customers know to be very, very leery about getting a newer model. In fact, I let everyone know the issues/unresolved issues I am still having.

- , Necedah, WI, USA

Sep 042015

• CVT transmission

Loved the car, enjoyed the great mileage etc etc. Then one day I couldn't get the car out of park. 3 days later it stalls at a light. Freaked my wife out because she was driving. Took it back to the dealer they told me it was a loose battery post. They fixed that problem my wife drove it home and it stalled again before she even got home. Long story short...(too late) lol went with my wife to take it back. Off course they told me it's showing no codes. My wife found this site and was able to tell them what the problem was. Everything listed about this car she has experienced. Thank you!! Your comments were very helpful. I'll let you know when and if it gets fixed.

- , Sun City, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

When start moving after complete stop, can feel vibration on gas pedal and steering wheel, between 1st and 2nd gear.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 172015

• CVT transmission

Noticed the shuttering problem about a month before reporting it as it became more pronounced. They immediately diagnosed it as a transmission problem and said of course that this is very rare, but they were going to replace it with a new one, which they did.

- , New Berlin, WI, USA

May 122015

Altima S 2.5L

I purchased my third Nissan vehicle so I think of myself as a loyal Nissan customer. My first car was a Nissan Nentra, second car was a 2004 Nissan Maxima which the transmission when bad on it so I traded it in for a 2013 Nissan Altima from Carmax in June of 2014 with 36000 miles on it.

Never had a problem with the car until one day I'm driving down the highway with my three children and my car starts vibrating and would not go into gear, scared to death because I'm on the highway with my three children. Took it to the Nissan dealership in High point, NC, well it was not what I wanted to hear. It was my transmission that when out in the car, my car completely not driveable because I barely could even drive it to the dealership!

Nissan told me they had 2 other newer Nissans in their shop with bad transmissions so that tell me something. My car has 62996 miles on it, spoke to Crystal at Nissan corporate and told he they could not pay for my transmission, which they told me would cost $3400 and not even had the car for a year and still paying on the car. That the car was 2996 miles over the manufacturer warranty, absolutely crazy!!!!!! There was obviously a bad transmission in the car and Nissan should pay to get another one!!

Crystal who I spoke with at consumer affairs, was very unhelpful, refused to let me speak with someone else, she kept saying to me that she was gonna disconnect the call "RUDE" then finally she told me she would get her supervisor to call me to probably get me off the phone, and basically told me I was wasting my time because her supervisor was gonna agree with her. Kept talking over me, and kept saying that she understood how upset I am when she doesn't, so I finally ask her how could she understand, and then she couldn't tell me.

This is my first review I have ever written on anything I have ever purchased!! I feel like I have been completely cheated on buying this car and someone needs to talk to Crystal on how she's suppose to speak with people!!! I am a single mother of three children and I purchased this car because I needed a reliable vehicle. I will never purchase another Nissan again and make sure my family and friends don't do the same thing!! I am looking now to get rid of this car ASAP as Nissan corporate and their bad cars have made a very difficult time for me!!

- , High Point, NC, USA

Apr 012015

• CVT transmission

We bought this car new and it was great up to this point. Now we have very little confidence in this car. After some online searching, we realized that we aren't the only ones with this problem. We planned to have this car for a long time because my wife depends on it to do her job.

- , East Palatka, FL, USA

Jul 162015

• CVT transmission

This is the second time our car had to be taken to the Nissan dealership for this shuddering issue. We feel it but wouldn't you know the Nissan techs couldn't find a problem. As a result, they checked it out but ultimately nothing was done to remedy the problem.

- , East Palatka, FL, USA

Apr 092015

Altima S 4 cyl

The transmission in this car is horrible . It shakes the car , vibrates very bad as you accelerate and then once you get going it then it subsides. Nissan needs to recall these transmissions. I had it in for service and they said it needed to be adjusted. But even after they did that it still vibrated the car at many different speeds when you would go to accelerate.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 242015

• CVT transmission

I have felt the shutter for a week or so but decided I would take my 2013 Nissan on a golf trip with friends Memorial Day Weekend. On the way home it puked on I77 near Beckley WV. Great experience with AAA and it started out a good experience with dealership.

2 days in to repair of the solenoid on the tranny I received a call that in fact they couldn't replace just the part they had to do a whole tranny. I received a quote for 3 hours labor and the part for $790. Approved the repair then get a call and told that that repair can't happen! Now waiting 3 - 5 days for a tranny delivered and the price goes to $2600 approx. I ask if there was anything Nissan would do and was told No. Out of warranty too many miles.

Wow a 2 year old Nissan that cost $26,000 and nothing can been done to help. They extended all prior year warranties but the 13 obviously is too big a piece of junk to back. I am or rather was a loyal Nissan guy but never again!!!

- , Carrollton, OH, USA

Apr 042015

• CVT transmission

On March of the current year (2015) I decided to purchase a used 2013 nissan altima 2.5 S

The car drove nice for about 2 weeks, until the transmission seemly and loudly started acting up. Every time I let my foot off the gas pedal and the car downshifts with the driving speed descending from between 30 to 20 mph the vehicle suddenly jerks very badly as if it wants to stall on me. Sometimes occasionally it jerks while I'm accelerating too but normally I take my foot off the gas as soon as I feel the first jerk then step on it again a couple seconds ago.

I was reading through the complaints on here and it seems that a lot of consumers are having the same issue, what's worse is that I called Nissan consumer affairs complaints to obtain further information on the issue and to see what could be done by Nissan. The rep told me that because the car had been title as a rebuilt after getting in an accident, all factory warranties were cancelled and advised me to take the car to a Nissan certified dealership to have a technician run a diagnosis which is estimated to cost between $200-$300 so that the diagnosis report can be sent to Nissan and maybe they'll consider offering "good will" assistance on the issue.

All I can say is Nissan starts a recall campaign soon and have their crappy cvt transmissions fixed or replaced. What do you folks think? is it worth it paying for a diagnosis and cross my fingers Nissan will admit is a factory defect? I read that the problem only gets worse after so many miles where the car just stalls and the transmission goes completely out and is done, my odometer is at 57,000k.

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 302015

• CVT transmission

Well I bought my Altima used in August 2014, loved it until May this year... Everything ran fine, looked good, great gas mileage, and then after sitting in the carpool line picking my son up my car went to pot... (Trying to keep it clean here) My son got in and buckled and as I let off the brake my car lerched forward and jerked very badly as if I was driving a stick and didn't know how. I hadn't even put my foot on the gas! It seemed to go away as quick as it started and I brushed it off as a fluke. Few miles down the rd we stopped at a drive through. As I came to a stop it felt as if the car behind me bumped into me... He was too far back to have hit me. I ordered and proceeded to pull forward and my car started jerking again, then idled very rough. At the window my car stalled. I could crank it but as soon as I put it in any gear it died.... Called Nissan and well, I was above factory warranty by 33 miles, and there wasn't anything they could do... What?!!! Anyway, as I was looking for the warranty into I found that I unknowingly purchased an extended warranty, phew! $85, for a tow, $100 deductible and 3 weeks of aggravation waiting for the car to be fixed I was told they had to replace the transmission. Ridiculous! 60033 miles? So... The warranty company sent Nissan dealership a "not new" transmission and they put it in. Got my car back yesterday, didn't think I would make it home! It's worse than before!!!

Shakes and jerks badly, feels like driving over small rocks. Acts like it wants to stall out. Very loud and whinny. RPMs bounce all over the place. The shifter doesn't seem to be set right. D is in the N spot and Ds in the D spot, and it can bump from one the the other with the slightest nudge. There is a place between N and D that you can sit out of gear completely.

Guess I'll be back at the dealership Monday...

I want a new car! :(

- , Eatonton, GA, USA

Mar 152015

Altima LX 2.0L

• CVT transmission

I bought 4 Nissans in 7 years starting in 2006. I loved all my Nissans except for this one. Actually, I loved this one until the transmission went up!

I took it to the dealer in November at 58K miles because it was jerking and stalling when stopped at lights. At that point, nothing could be found wrong. They did my PA inspection, a recall, and an update (because it was available). Three months later, it has the same issue - now at 63K miles and the dealer told us that he would talk to the warranty rep to try and get it covered since we had been there for the same issues before it hit 60K miles.

The warranty rep, Nathan, was a nightmare! He wouldn't return my calls timely, said he would upgrade my issue to a supervisor (who did not call for 5 days and that was only after I called to threaten a lawyer). I commute 100 miles per day to work and was without a car for 2 weeks. In the end, Nissan paid for the part and I paid $900 some dollars for labor.

It boils down to their CVTs are CRAP and so is their customer service (wouldn't give phone numbers, supervisors names, etc.). There were issues with the CVTs in 2010 and prior. They changed the CVT in the 2014 Altimas (which is what the warranty rep told us). After the transmission was replaced, I quickly traded the car in (for fear that this would happen again!).

I will never buy another Nissan - at this point, it was more about the customer service - then the transmission (sadly). They don't back their products or their products. And just to be clear, this wasn't about the dealership, it's about Nissan!

- , York, USA

Oct 102012

Altima S 2.5L

The Nissan Altima 2013 in particular and Nissan cars in general are a disaster. Their CVT transmission is an absolute failure.

My strongest advice to all potential buyers is, DO NOT BUY a Nissan even if it is the last car available on earth!

My car has been back to dealer twice to remedy the transmission failure but it is not resolved. Also, their service quality is Very BAD. Once you are stuck with a Nissan, you rarely have any option to go elsewhere for service and when you go to one, you are mistreated.

I bought my Nissan Altima 2013 from Woodchester Nissan in Mississauga, Ontario and you could be made to wait for up to 1 hour 45 minutes for an oil change, even if you reached your service appointment before time. My sincere advice to all readers is, do not buy Nissan and even if you must, then not from Woodchester Nissan of Mississauga because their after sales service is DISGUSTING !!

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 192015

Altima SL 2.5L

For a couple weeks I was having my car shudder and shake a lot while I was driving. When I took it into the dealership to get my oil changed, and tires rotated. They told me that it was probably just bad gas and sent me on my way. A couple weeks later I was driving down the highway and it started again. When I got off the exit my car started to stall. I had to put it into neutral and press the gas to keep it going. I had to restart my car twice before I could move from the red light and get it into a parking lot. Finally I just got it towed to the dealership and they called to inform me that my transmission went on a two year old Altima with approx 36000 miles on it!

How does that happen! I am not thrilled about this and even though it is covered under warranty, I am getting rid of this car and not buying another Nissan. I have had other problems with the car also, the very loud power steering, I had a rattle in my roof that they tried to fix 3 times before finally taking apart my roof and replacing something in the sunroof attachment. When I got it back, something happened when they took the windshield out that my mirror fell off the window and cracked my entire windshield. Also, has anyone ever been able to get an estimated 31 mpg? Mine is around 15-16 mpg.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Mar 302015

Altima SL 2.5L

I have heard of Nissans running 200k and more. I thought buying one would make sense but I was wrong. Apparently the standards for craftsmanship and integrity have gone down down down. My Nissan showed signs of distress in February 2015. Now because I failed to bring it in immediately I am suffering. Nissan says they will not help. (surprise). Only 62k on the odometer. The warranty expired at 60k. I've heard of transmissions failing at 36k. Nissan knows there are flaws in the design. I saw a great list of complaints similar to my own. They have ruined their reputation and stuck me with a burden. ($3900 bill) I am not going to pay. I have not had it fixed I cannot afford to. I am thinking about rolling it into a ravine. Sincerely, Ticked off

- , Rainsville, AL, USA

Mar 022015

• CVT transmission

When problem first happened the judder would shake the car really bad at very low speeds and even stall out. Problem was worse in stop and go traffic. The judder eventually happened at nearly every speed when you would lightly press the gas.

Took in to Nissan the first time and they couldn't duplicate and I wasted my time. Car continued to have the issues and I almost got into 2 accidents because of it.

Finally took it back to Nissan when the problem was happening more frequently and drove with the Service Manager. He was able to duplicate and they replaced the transmission under warranty. I was given a rental for free while they replaced it.

Have been driving it for a few days now and the problem is gone.

I really hope this isn't a design flaw and that I don't have to come back in another 25,000 miles....

- , Lebanon, TN, USA

Feb 042015

• CVT transmission

My 2013 Altima 2.5L S series was paid for outright. . . . cash money. Now flash forward 2 years. 2 YEARS!

The car started to "shudder" - I thought I had bad gas as I had just filled the tank. Kept going with high octane at each stop. It seemed to get better for about 3 weeks. It started shuddering again. I barely made it off the interstate the day the transmission finally completely went out at week four.

The warranty on the transmission is for 60,000 miles. Mine has just shy of 68,000 miles. After researching the issue while my vehicle was in the shop over the weekend, I found that there are A LOT of issues with this CVT transmission. Every warranty up to 2010 was extended to 120,000 miles. Nissan says that after this year, the problems with the CVT were corrected. So at this point, I decided: I'm not gonna take it! I filed a complaint with the Consumer Affairs division with Nissan. They offered to pay the labor and I'm on the hook for the "parts" a total of $2,500 after tax. If there is a no issue with the transmission, why would they offer to pay for anything?

Every aspect of this experience has just about driven me insane, including the experience with the service center. I feel like Nissan is trying to use the service center to make their cash, not from selling reliable vehicles.

My dad has worked for Nissan in Smyrna, TN for 20+ years. I have driven a Nissan now for around 15 years. I am at a complete loss how they won't even take care of family or attempt to keep me as a customer!??!!

I am hitting EVERY forum I can. If anyone has advice on where to send complaints, let me know.

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Nov 032014

• CVT transmission

With everybody but Nissan owning up to the issue with the CVT transmission.. you have to wonder how much longer before there is a class action lawsuit or a recall to hopefully fix the problem.. It hard to believe that each and every one of us has a issue that the dealer can't duplicate..

Our transmission has already been replaced once and it did little to fix the problem..but also interesting is for the first 23,000 miles it ran great and we liked the transmission not feeling it shifting...but now when just about every time you drive it the car shutters shakes and the steering wheel vibrates.. you have to ask just how long can Nissan continue to say... we can't duplicate it...

I've been in contact with Nissan and so far there answer has been pretty much the same..either they can't duplicate it or that is now the new norm..but my answer continues to be.. how did it drive with no problems for so long and now we only have problems.. also why did Nissan extend the warranty just because they could... or it sounded good... it does.. but if you never fix it you still have a car that you worry about just how safe it is...because it also happens when you are downshifting and hit the gas to go... it wants to think about what it's next move is..nice looking car but damn sure got issues with the CVT transmission...

- , Gautier, MS, USA

Feb 052015

Altima SE 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I just put a complaint in and I would like to add, maybe all the people complaining about this same problem should get together and start a class action law suit against Nissan.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012014

• CVT transmission

I have owned multiple Nissans with no problems. I can't believe my 2013 already needs a new transmission and alternator.

- , Pittsboro, NC, USA