CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

5.8

2014 Nissan Altima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 052016

Altima

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Altima. On several occasions after the vehicle was started and placed into drive, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed, but the dealer was unable to retrieve a fault code. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was intermittent. The contact stated that the failure was evident after the vehicle was refueled. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Apr 272016

Altima

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the fuel economy display on the instrument panel did not display the correct amount of fuel in the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle stalled and the speedometer gauge was incorrect. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Dec 142014

Altima

I have number of problems with my vehicle - 2014 Altima sl. Several times after stop and go traffic the transmission stops switching gears (speeds). It gets stuck on a first gear equivalent in cvt transmission. The fix is to restart the vehicle, obviously this could be dangerous on the road where there are no places to stop. Another major problem is a head unit (navigation, radio, etc). It restarts by itself now and than, sometimes right in a middle of the highway when I'm trying to figure out what exit to take and I need the gps guidance. Its absolutely unreliable. I'm not complaining about the quality of the software here that is terrible, by the way, but in any situation it should not restart by itself! another problem, as mentioned by others, is mileage. I get much less miles as advertised! this is my first and last Nissan!

- Hackensack , NJ, USA

Nov 262014

Altima

Vehicle is driven several miles so the engine is warm. Three times the car has stalled when stopping at a light or slowing at an intersection to make a left turn. When moving from the waiting position the car will stall and as an oncoming car is coming poses a left threatening situation as it will not move forward immediately. Car has been taken to Nissan dealership 2 times and both times nothing shows on the computer. Also, the car was driven the last time and the stall is not replicated. Because the problem is not replicated nisaan refuses to admit there is a problem with the car although a life is in jeopardy due to the danger of making a left had turn in front of traffic when there is ample time to make the turn. I have spoken to the national office and they refuse to do anything since the computer says the car is not broken.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Sep 172014

Altima

I purchased a brand new 2014 Nissan Altima S on 7/20/14. On 9/17/14 my cel began flashing, car shaking & losing power as I was driving on the freeway (which is under construction with no shoulders to pull over on). Brought car to service department and they tried to first tell me they couldn't find any issue. I forced them to continue testing & it happened again & they were able to pull 2 error codes (misfire & multiple misfire). After a week of driving my car and testing, they could not figure out how to fix it. I opened a case at that time to request a buy back or replacement of this vehicle as it is clear that something was done wrong on the assembly line & safety of vehicle has been compromised. On 9/26/14, the dealership called and told me to pick up my car as they "think they fixed the problem." I picked up the car, drove 5 miles & issues happened again & I noticed it was consuming large amounts of gasoline. Brought it back to dealership & told them that it was not fixed & it is not safe to drive this vehicle. On 9/29/14, Nissan corporate sent an engineer to pick up my car to test the issues & after driving it, the engineer said that all 4 coils needed to be changed. Coils were swapped out & I picked up the car 10/2/14 against my will. Full tank when I picked up the car stating I'd receive 540 miles (normal for an Altima) & 2 days later, it dropped all of a sudden by 100 miles for no reason. I only received 400 miles to full tank & the majority of my driving is highway miles. It is still consuming gasoline & is idling rougher. I am now 3 weeks in, 2 separate issues & my car still is not working. If my car has issues 52 days in and only 3K miles, I can only imagine what else is going to happen. I commute and drive with small children & it is not safe. It is clear that there is something wrong with my car.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 102014

Altima 4-cyl

This car makes a lot of noises when stopping at most speeds! you can hear gas moving around inside of the car like your at the beach sounds like waves hitting up against a boat docked! has been to several dealerships and no one will own up to it including Nissan customer services! I'm worried for my safety and others!

- Centereach, NY, USA

Feb 252014

Altima

TL- the contact owns a 2014 Nissan alitma. The contact stated when her gas tank is filled or half way full, the fuel in the tank makes loud sluching noises. The contact took her vehicle multiple times to the dealer for diagnostic test. The dealer recommended the contact to file a claim with the manufacturer because they were unable to repair the failure. The manufacturer stated this was a normal characteristic of the vehicle and not a defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 8.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Oct 082013

Altima

2014 Nissan Altima sl 2.5 makes allot of noise and vibration when you accelerate to get up to a highway speed whether it is from the engine or transmission it is very loud inside the car! the steering wheel seems to have a lot of play in it at a dead stop with engine running by turning the wheel right to left! you also hear clunking noises turning it right to left! the fuel in the tank makes loud swishing noises sort as if I have a small ocean in my fuel tank!

- Centereach, NY, USA