CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

5.4

2014 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Sep 252016

Altima

Cvt transmission. I was at the intersection of page ave and seven up drive in overland, mo, and my car stopped. I started the car back up and park the car in drive and it rolled backwards. I put the car back in park, put on my hazard lights, and called roadside service. My daughter (7yrs) and I were terrified. Cars were a few 100 feet from hitting us. I was constantly waving cars to go around my car. The overland police finally arrived (1 hour later) and pushed my car to a safer location so it could be towed. My car was later towed to the Nissan dealer where it was diagnosed. The diagnosis was that my cvt (transmission) needed to be replaced.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Apr 032014

Altima

Radio/navigation reboots while driving down the road. Whole system shuts down--no radio. Sometimes when I start the car, the radio buttons are dim/grayed out and the radio doesn't play.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 052016

Altima

I ran low on windshield washer fluid and a light can on notifying me. The next day I noticed that the lane detection system and the car in your blind spot indicator was no working. Causing a safety concern. Come to find out. When you run low on wiper fluid, it deactivates these safety features. I think this is crazy and dangerous. Put in wiper fluid and it corrected the problem. Wow!!!

- Girard, IL, USA

Jul 272016

Altima

Since I have had my 2014 Nissan Altima it has faced several major issues such has two transmissions replacements, now the ac compressor, then the car display screen turned completely pink, and other numerous issues that have already been documented in your system. Please refer back to my previous complaints that I have submitted, my service records for the dealership, and so forth for documentation purposes. I truly believe that a car with only 7 miles on it when purchased should not have any of theses issues unless it was manufactured poorly. I am so fed up with dealing with the dealership and run arounds from the corporation that I may have to take legal action if this issue is not resolved in a timely manner.

- Cypress, TX, USA

May 012014

Altima

I have had many issues while driving on a street, highway, and at a stop. All the issues seems to point to either software or electrical issues. I have complained to the dealership on many occasions. I bought my car with only approx. 7-10 miles on it in Jan. 2014. Since the beginning, I have had my entire dashboard shut off w/O warning. Navigation, radio, camera, etc. Completely shuts off, air bags lights turning off and on, the air conditioner intermittingly working whenever it chooses, the cigarette lighters (both) that I use to charge my phone no longer works, and acceleration not accelerating properly (transmission issue?). I have not ever had so many car problems, especially with a new car. When I ask the dealership about recalls, they are only concerned with repair costs they want to collect, in which I understand. However, what I do not understand is looking up the issue online and seeing hundreds of the same complaints. Just with the same air conditioner issue alone, on only one site, there were almost 600 customer complaints. I was astounded. I can't believe there are not more recalls with what I have read. Besides serious bodily injuries or death, do Nissan owners need to get the media involved to get something done. Locally, there is a tv station that dedicates a segment to consumer reviews and complaints. It's certainly a consideration at this point.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 012016

Altima

I keep getting a key id incorrect or key id undetectable when I try to start the car. I have replaced the battery in the key fob and the same issues arise. I have to open and close the car door at least 10 times before I can get the car to start. This could be a safety hazard as I might get stranded somewhere if I shut the car off and it doesn't start. I am getting really tired of this issue and hopefully a recall or some type of fix will come from Nissan. This issues always happens when the vehicle is in park and you try to start the vehicle.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Jun 192015

Altima

On approximately June 19, 2015 I started experiencing sluggish take off from a stop position in my car. Noticeably after work, on the way home in stop and go traffic after 7-10 miles into my transit (with outside temps in the 90's). Didn't happen everyday, only when traffic was really bad (stop and go). I took vehicle into dealership on June 29th to have this checked out; dealership repair drove vehicle for approximately 16-miles and found no hesitation while driving during that time. On July 2nd, on the way home from work the sluggishness turned into a critical, serious 'hesitation' problem. My foot was pressing on gas pedal but car wouldn't move, I was holding up traffic, I pressed harder and harder and then my car lunged forward almost causing an accident on two occasions; this problem continued intermittently all the way home (for the next 5+ miles) - I drove with emergency flashers. Called dealership next day I spoke with receptionist asking to speak with service manager, left him voicemail message/call never returned called back couple of times only to get voicemail. Made appointment online & took car in on July 7th. Car has been in the shop ever since. Assistant service manager states they cannot duplicate the problem. I explained I don't feel safe driving this car; especially with two missed car crashes. That was enough for me! something needs to be done about this problem. I don't want this car anymore.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Mar 302015

Altima

I have only had my car for about 15 months and I bought it brand new. So about a month ago I noticed that there was a jerk when I would push on the gas when coming from a complete stop. One time my car even slightly slid and the tire light came on. I took my car to the dealership once that happened but they said that the only issue they saw was that my wheels were unbalanced. I still experience this issue from time to time and I would like to know why. I bought a brand new car for a reason and that was to not have to deal with car issues for a while.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 102014

Altima

Purchased 2014 Altima S 9-1-14. Right away hear whining noise from steering area and under hood. As of April 2015 only have 1200 miles but have not taken to dealer. Other problems have been, splashing noise from fuel tank, wind noise coming from passnger side window, very difficult to keep vehicle from wandering on highway from side to side. Thought it was just me but reading similar reviews I now know there is a problem with the Nissan Altima.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Dec 022013

Altima

From a stop, there was no response when I pressed on the accelerator.then a surge when it did respond. This has happened several times since.the delay seems to be getting longer, sometimes occurring. While driving in traffic.

- Slidell, LA, USA