Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

2014 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 282016

My car has approximately 43,000 miles.I'm having a hard time keeping the car in my lane of traffic. The car was pulling hard to the left, requiring me to steer to the right.. car needs to be constantly corrected to stay inside the lane even when driving straigh. If you are in a crosswind or behind a truck, the vehicle drifts horribly too. You must have a good handle on the steering wheel to keep correcting to stay in your lane! I took my car to do an alignment two times and still the same I change tires and rims did not fix the problem there is alot of complains on the internet with the same problem.

- Napa, CA, USA

Mar 012016

I keep getting a key id incorrect or key id undetectable when I try to start the car. I have replaced the battery in the key fob and the same issues arise. I have to open and close the car door at least 10 times before I can get the car to start. This could be a safety hazard as I might get stranded somewhere if I shut the car off and it doesn't start. I am getting really tired of this issue and hopefully a recall or some type of fix will come from Nissan. This issues always happens when the vehicle is in park and you try to start the vehicle.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Nov 232015

My car has approximately 27,500 miles. About three months ago I began having a hard time keeping the car in my lane of traffic. The car was pulling hard to the left, requiring me to steer to the right (approximately to a 1 O'clock position). I believed this to be an alignment issue and had a large chain repair shop complete an alignment. The steering issue was not resolved. I then took the car to my dealership and they advised that it was out of alignment and they had fixed the issues with an alignment (I have not paid $250 in alignment charges). After a few days of driving it, the car is still pulling to the left. I have tried driving in all lanes of traffic and been sensitive to the grade of the road...however, my car will pull to the left in any situation. In most cases, it takes quite a bit of pressure steering to the right, to keep the car driving straight-ahead. When I called the dealership to advise them the repair was not correct, they said they had two techs drive it and it was fine - I would need to return to the dealership and drive the car with them to diagnose. I don't feel that I should have to spend additional time with the service department to find a repair for my vehicle. I made a report with Nissan customer affairs. In my experience with Nissan, these are the steps that are needed to get a solution to any safety issues.

- Peculiar, MO, USA

Jun 122014

I purchased a brand new 2014 Nissan Altima sv from baker Nissan North in houston, Texas (19630 northwest fwy, houston, tx 77065 (281) 890-5656). My transmission has failed twice (replaced the first time and now having to be replaced again) and I have been getting the run around from the dealership. This issue should not be occurring with a brand new vehicle. Then to top it off I have been a loyal customer and have purchased a total of four cars from this dealership now. I filed a Consumer Affairs report with Nissan corporation and have yet to hear something. I also called the dealership again to speak with someone in charge such as the general manager and they informed me to contact the consumers affairs department with Nissan corporation. They said they have a chain of command to follow and that would be my best bet of getting the situation resolved. I would like this situation to be investigated and justice. I do not spend my hard earned money to have a car that is not operating properly and could put my life and others in danger. It comes down to the fact that this car is a lemon and I should be given brand new transportation or the dealership should purchase the car and pay off the loan and let me take my business elsewhere....... I also have copies of my maintenance records for documentation purposes.....thank you in advance for your time and effort. I look forward to hearing from you soon...updated 11/05/15 the consumer also stated the ac was blowing out hot air, then cool air and the steering wheel was hard to turn. Updated 11/25/15.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 272015

Started noticing this problem in the first week of purchase. Car needs to be constantly corrected to stay inside the lane even when driving straight, and the steering becomes to taut when I try to correct it, like its being pulled away from dead-centre. I almost ran into cars in the other lane, was honked at multiple times.. now I am extremely careful and drive with both hands on the steering constantly adjusting to stay inside the lane. A friend who was following me last weekend said I was weaving so much that it looked like some drunk was driving the car!! the steering issue has to be fixed before it caused any fatalities.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

Nov 132013

Car will not stay in lane at highway speed it wanders back and forth you have to constantly correct to stay in your lane. Almost went under semi truck trailer.air bag light also comes on saying no one is in passenger seat when my wife is setting there.been to dealer on recall 2 times on this already

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Sep 102014

Purchased 2014 Altima S 9-1-14. Right away hear whining noise from steering area and under hood. As of April 2015 only have 1200 miles but have not taken to dealer. Other problems have been, splashing noise from fuel tank, wind noise coming from passnger side window, very difficult to keep vehicle from wandering on highway from side to side. Thought it was just me but reading similar reviews I now know there is a problem with the Nissan Altima.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Driving at speeds higher than 50mph constant steer corrections need to be done in order to keep the car safely between lanes. The car moves left and right and cannot keep a straight line without constantly needing to correct the steering. This is on calm weather today 3/10/2015, outside temperature 49 degrees, wind speed 2 mph for woodburn, or area according to Even if there is no wind, the car feels like there are cross winds. This can be a very dangerous problem and complains from other owners are all over the internet including at the dealer's service centers. I am worried about higher wind speeds and how dangerous that can be with a car that cannot keep a straight line due to the fact that it has a electric steering assist that doesn't feel like it is speed sensitive. It is dangerous as unexpected lane swerving can cause major accidents at higher speeds. Something needs to be done to correct the steering assist and offer a more smoother ride and a better handling experience on highways. The dealer service centers can't do anything to correct the problem and are telling you to deal with it and learn how to drive the car.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Jun 042014

I purchased the vehicle and right away I noticed that the steering was not right. The car either goes left or right will not stay straight. This is a very dangerous situation because you can not take your eyes off the road for a second. This is the worst driving car I have ever driven. The dealership says it is just the new steering system and you have to get use to it. This is a real problem and needs to be fixed. This will cause accidents. Hopefully Nissan recognizes this quickly and comes up with a fix. I will not buy another Nissan product. I avoid driving the car when possible.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Nov 032014

Heated steering wheel is a joke. Hardly does a thing. I have more luck rubbing my hands together.

- Girard, IL, USA

Sep 122014

The steering of the car is erratic. At times it's fine and other times the car skates all over the place. Causing a dangerous situation with having to constantly over steer. I feel like if there was a cop behind me I would be pulled over and checked for dui.

- Girard, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Noticed that when holding the steering wheel at the 9:00 and 3:00 position and pulling straight up there was.25" of up and down play in the steering column. The dealer replaced the steering column under warranty on 11/04/2014. Part # 48810-3ta1B, column steering-tilt.

- Bucksport, ME, USA

Feb 072014

After several dealerships would not address a heated steering wheel that does not heat up it gets luke cool to warm only in spots around the steering wheel! as per finally one Nissan service center the service mgr a very decent person tested it with a wireless thermometer tried very hard to get this supposedly heated steering wheel to work properly replaced it with a new one but still does the same thing! does not work like Nissan states in brochure! this is unfair that I have over 20 problems with this car and Nissan will not do the right thing! I feel my health declining over a car that needs a babysitter!

- Centereach, NY, USA

Feb 072014

This car has been in and out of the several different dealerships for a steering wheel finally on dealership is trying to help but they want to change the steering wheel! I'm at awe! nervous that this lemon is becoming a frankenstein car !! Nissan quotes-the first time you try heated seats on a cold morning, you'll wonder how you ever did without! they quickly and efficiently warm things up for you and your passenger, and your hands get the same luxurious treatment from the heated steering wheel. My wife and I had other cars with heated seats and steering wheel! Nissan heating steering wheel only gets cool to luke warm! problem still not fixed as of today.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Jun 142014

The new electro hydraulic steering on 2013+ Altima appears to have a faulty software. It does not appear to be vehicle speed sensitive/proportional at all! this is extremely dangerous and tiresome to deal with. Normally, power steering especially the electrically assisted steering will employ speed sensitivity which will make it easier to move the wheel at lower speeds and harder on higher speeds. This is necessary to keep the vehicle steady and corrected instead of wandering and needing to be overcorrected. A correctly functioning electro steering should therefore make the steering tight at high speeds > 60 mph to keep the car centered on the road and give stability to the ride. All Altima in this generation appear to exhibit this issue including this car gurus review - this is a must recall item.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 302014

Altima 4-cyl

Over 65mph the car became unstable and constant steering inputs were needed to stay in my lane. Car didn't track very well thru corners and was very tiring to drive.

- La Porte, IN, USA

May 282014

Altima 4-cyl

After driving my new car, I noticed that above 60 mph, even when the steering wheel is held straight ahead, the car will veer either to the left or right without ever moving the wheel - at random, regardless of crown or truck-rutted road. Dealer checked the steering, as well as another new Altima; both made similar clunking noises left and right when parked and idled by moving the steering wheel a few inches either direction. Wind direction from either left or right increases the effect of constantly having to over-correct to compensate for the car not going in the direction of where the wheel is pointed. It is as if, when the car is "on center" it will then drift left or right without affecting the steering wheel. While this occurs, if one were to look away for even one second, either center stripe or side stripe would be crossed. It is a baffling situation. I have never driven a vehicle, old or new, that is connected and then, it's as if the steering is then disconnected from the wheels. I would not want to drive this vehicle on snow or ice. I feel something is wrong with the new steering system on the 2013 and 2014 Altima.

- Clifton, TX, USA

Feb 062014

The contact owns a 2014 nssan Altima. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would veer to the left and right even while the contact was holding onto the steering wheel. The vehicle failed to stay in its lane. A police officer informed the contact that the cause of failure was torque steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the vehicle was operating normally. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Roundrock, TX, USA

Jan 252014

Altima 4-cyl

On the third day of owning this vehicle, I took it on the interstate. This vehicle has the worst handling of any car I have ever driven. It drifts all over the road with little control. If you are in a crosswind or behind a truck, the vehicle drifts horribly too. You must have a good handle on the steering wheel to keep correcting to stay in your lane! this is a very unsafe vehicle. I am very uncomfortable driving this on the interstate. This happens mostly at high speeds unless it is a breezy day, then it happens all the time even at slower speeds. You can be driving straight for a short period of time and then all of a sudden the car drifts hard to one side. You have to correct quickly in order to not go into the next lane. Something needs to be done about this. I have had this into my dealership twice and the first time they told me nothing was wrong. I just needed to get used to the way it drives. The second time, they adjusted the rear alignment and changed out tires to Michelin tires. This helped a little bit but did not correct the problem. Now the rear end vibrates and drifts. I have had this car for 3 months and I cannot believe there has been no recall on this. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed if something is not corrected. This is a safety issue for sure!

- Columbia, TN, USA

May 062014

Altima 4-cyl

I stopped the car and believed I put it in park. I got out of the car--it did not move. I went to the rear passenger door and got my two year old out of her car seat. I placed her beside the car and shut the rear door. I walked around behind the car to the driver's door. I turned the car off like I always do. The car shut off--and suddenly without warning--began rapidly moving down my driveway. My baby was at the rear of the car and she usually follows me. I ran and had to jump in the moving car. The front left driver wheel nearly ran me over. I tried to gain control of this vehicle by desperately tried to stop it. I was rolling the speed of a skateboard released from the top of the driveway. The steering wheel had locked. I had to push hard on the brake. I stopped it and there were skidmarks on the asphalt. I stopped the car before it slammed into my neighbor's car. Had I not stopped it and risked personal injury there would have been a crash. I was scared to death to move and look. I thought my baby was dead. I thought the car had crushed her. My neighbor told me my daughter had been missed by inches. When I looked at the gearshift, it was in D. I have no idea how it shut off in drive. It almost killed my daughter, damaged personal property, and I am injured. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs: They stated that this happens "in all automatic cars." Which that is false. I called back to tell them I had friends and family with varying 2014 push button cars try and turn their cars off in D. none of them would turn off unless in park. What is someone was driving and accidentally hit the button on the freeway" loss of steering, brakes, control??" this is a fatal engineering problem. I know GM had a huge recall for similar. Nissan Consumer Affairs told me " there would be no recall" and that I should "be more careful."

- Corona, CA, USA