CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 & 2014 Altima, prompting us to give it our "beware of this clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount of low-mileage problems related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

5.9

2015 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Nissan Altima:

2015 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Sep 072016

Altima

Back in July car started to lose power and sputter while driving, and Nissan replaced valve body. However, car shut off while driving on 09/07 and I was able to coast car to curb. When trying to start again, engine would only crank and not turn over.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 272016

Altima

I was driving my 2015 Altima on a highway and the car suddenly stopped as in a stall with cars behind me swerving off the highway to avoid hitting me. The car had on oil and the oil warning light did not come on until my car stopped, then it said warning low oil pressure. I had just had an oil change at port city Nissan, portsmouth, nh, and the service person apparently did not reattach the oil filter correctly, cross-threading the filter resulting in the oil leaking out without me knowing. Again, my concern is there was no warning before my car stalled and stopped on a highway. No oil pressure light or low oil alert, nothing until I was almost in a serious accident.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Sep 232015

Altima

I purchased my 2015 Nissan Altima brand new from the dealer. In Sept 2015 at 25,000 miles, while driving in the middle of the freeway, the car slow down as if I was driving in a low gear. The RPM went up, but the car is moving very slow. I stop the car and called the service department. They told me to stop and park the car then restarted the car after giving it serval mins of cooling down. I took the car the service the next day, they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. I continue to drive the car for another six or so months then the same happened again. I took the car back to the service department, no problem was found again. Couple months later, the car stop in the middle of the road. I took the car in, still no problem ws found. They said they can't mimic the problem and asked that I contiue to drive and stop and park if the problem arise. I told the supervisor/manager at the service department that I don't feel safe driving my family around in a car that stop in the middle of the road but can't find anything wrong. I don't know much about the car, but it has to do with transimition because of the check engine light. I felt that the service department is prolonging the real problem because the car is still under the warranity, and I felt that the problem will be discover once it's out of the warrnity coverage. I have two major concerns: 1. I am worry for the safety of my family when I am driving them around the car that can stop anytime in the middle of the road and cause the accident. 2.I am worry, I'll be making a payment for a car that I can't drive once it is no longer be cover under the warranity and it will costs thousand of dollars to get it fix.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jun 232016

Altima

First I was pulling out of my driveway and the car just stopped, I started the car back up and it went. I drove about 3 miles and it was like I couldn't steer the car and as I was pressing the brakes the car was like accelerating. I had to repeatedly push on brakes for the car to slow down and stop. I haven't had this car but 6 months and it's a new vehicle

- Jackson, TN, USA

Jun 142016

Altima

Car caught on fire by it self while driving, it was a clear night, I did not hit anything. Just started by its self.

- Sunland, CA, USA

May 052015

Altima

Car was purchased new in late April 2015. When I opened the trunk of the vehicle for the first time, I noticed there was rust in the spot welds on the left side of the trunk. Front bumper also started to pop out on both sides after driving it the first day and is rubbing and peeling paint from frame of vehicle. Rear windshield was pushed all the way to the left with a large gap to the right. This is a big safety issue. Front fascia misaligned from factory and rust eating away at main frame of vehicle despite there being no scratches or damage to vehicle. Both side skirts misaligned. All doors significantly misaligned from factory. Power steering whines and transmission groans and shifts erratically. Car does not drive straight at speeds 55+ and wanders between lanes. It takes much effort to keep it straight. Trunk lid not aligned properly. BBB mandated Nissan to repurchase vehicle and brand it as a lemon due to serious safety defects & non-conformities. Nissan failed to fix rear windshield after one attempt and failed to fix other issues after 3 repair attempts. Car has been at dealership for 28+ days. Nissan failed to calculate correct repurchase numbers and Nissan still refuses to fix vehicle. After my protesting, Nissan repaired rear windshield but structurally, the rest of the car remains a safety issue. An investigation should be launched. I request nhsta to inspect the quality and build of this vehicle as it endangers my safety and those of other drivers around me. I am still in possession of this vehicle.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Aug 192015

Altima

Nissan Altima 2015 purchased on 8/15/15 with 6 miles on the engine. On 8/19/15 car was dead without power. Battery was replaced and two days later it started powering off again as the vehicle was warming up, and as I was idle at red lights. Has turned off 6 times total since purchasing car 17 days ago. Called Nissan Consumer Affairs and finance which authorized return of the vehicle. Dealership did not comply stating that I had to make reasonable attempts to repair per the lemon law. Do not purchase Nissan, they have worked the loopholes to go against the consumer, protect themselves, and not create recalls for this. Other competitor dealerships accept returns on vehicle malfunctions within 30 - 60 days after purchase. Nissan does not offer this same option because they know their products have faults.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 162015

Altima

The contact owns a 2015 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 70 mph, the vehicle lost power and shifted into neutral independently. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to accelerate but increased in rpms. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,767.

- Ceder Hill, TX, USA