2.3

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid:

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 162013

Altima Hybrid

It was in night around 11pm, I stepped out to nearby walmart. Upon return, the car did not start. I was getting the "yellow key" symbol. My first impression was that something was faulty with my fob key. I called my friend and got to try the key. Even this was futile. I looked up my manual for this symbol code and realized that there was some malfunction in the keyless ignition system. I was surprised cos the car was well maintained, with periodic service and very low miles(30K).it was perfect until then. I returned home with my friend and next day, I tried road side assistance who tried jump start without any luck. Finally, it was towed to the dealer. Later the dealer calls me to tell that it is steering lock problem, and that he doesn't have the replacement nor can he give me date of when it is expected. After seeing the messages in forum here, I realize it is serious problem on Nissan part. I am just lucky that this did not happen on day when I was far away from home. I cant imagine being stuck in outskirts in middle of night. I hope they seriously do something to recall this part. It is a total risky thing and wonder how Nissan did not look into it.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 182013

Altima Hybrid

The key fob unlocked the car but the car would not start when I tried to start it. The yellow key light indicator was on the dash. The push-start button stayed in the lock position. I had the car towed to the Nissan dealer. They told me that the steering lock unit malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The car will not start up until it is replaced. The part is not under warranty. My final quote was $775 from the dealer. My story is similar to other steering lock unit complaints Nissan should recall this defective part.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Nov 022012

Altima Hybrid 4-cyl

The steering lock unit (part number 48700-9N00B) needed replacement. The steering lock unit did not properly engage when the vehicle was turned off. Because the unit did not engage, the vehicle would not start. I was left stranded in a parking garage at night and had to have the vehicle towed. The nearest dealership was in alexandria, va. They charged $900 to diagnose and repair this problem. Since the vehicle had over 36,000 miles, it was not covered under warranty. This is a widely known issue with Nissan vehicles and is present on several online forums. Most of the steering lock unit failures occur after the warranty period, but before 60K miles. There is an existing safety recall for the 2009 Nissan GT-R model for the steering lock unit (campaign id P0309). This is Nissan's top tier vehicle. At this time Nissan has chosen not to issue a recall for other models to include the Altima. Anyone driving a Nissan with this known issue can be stranded at any time.

- Arlington, VA, USA