2004 Nissan Armada brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Armada:

2004 Nissan Armada Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Aug 182010

Brake light comes on and a springing clutter noise happens. I stop the car, turn it off and turn back again it's back to normal. It happens practically once a month or so but always scary. Dealership claims it's finding nothing.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Dec 192014

While driving on the highway with my 3 children, suddenly the vdc and slip lights came on, followed by the brake light. When I tried to slow around a curve and use the brakes to slow down I heard and felt a grinding sensation under the brake pedal and the brakes would not engage. Luckily, I managed to slow down enough and come to a complete stop where I turned off the vehicle, turned it back on and the system reset.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Oct 082013

Armada 8-cyl

Was driving vehicle 35 mph slowed down to go around sharp curve. When vehicle drove around curve there were vehicles in front of us that stopped suddenly. Applied brakes and pedal pulsed and required alot of effort to slow down. Was unable to slow vehicle down fast enough and rear ended vehicle in front of us. Caused a 3 car pileup. The 3 passengers in our 04 Armada suffered whiplash, the driver sprained her wrist and was out of work for 3 days because of accident. The Nissan Armada was totaled and had to purchase another vehicle. The brakes not working correctly is what caused the accident.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jul 172013

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

When coming to a stop and applying the brakes, the vehicle lost most of its braking power. The pedal went soft and began pulsating with a grinding noise. The brake light came on. It acted as though the ABS system was activated. The brake system stayed in the failed mode until I could pull over and turn the engine off and the computer would reset itself.

- Parker, CO, USA

Sep 062005

Armada 8-cyl

I have issues with my brakes on a frequent basis. Since I purchased my car, I have been having this issue. I have taken my car to several Nissan dealers. When my car was under warranty and I would also get the run around. I have been told my Nissan that unless the issue happens when the car is in the shop then they are unable to diagnose the problem. When I apply the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor and I hear a loud grinding noise from the front of the vehicle. This happens while I am driving. The only way to get it to work is if turn off the truck while cruising and turn it back on while cruising and it fixes the issue and I am able to stop fine. I have contacted Nissan before and they failed to help me. I have two small children. This issue is happening with several people. The Nissan Armada 2004 was the first Armada model, which this issue is a factory defect that is impacting hundreds of car owners. This issue needs to be taken seriously, since brakes is life threatening.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Nov 042014

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

Every once in a while, when I apply the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor and I heard a loud grinding noise from the front of the vehicle. This happens randomly. It could happen once or twice a month and then not at all for the next month. I immediately shut off the truck while cruising and turn it back on while cruising and it fixes the issue and I am able to stop fine. I have contacted Nissan before and they failed to help me. Through hundreds of posts of Armada owner with the same issue it seem to be the brake booster in which an be up to 1500$ to fix. I cannot afford this fix and it seem that it should be a recall. Were talking about brakes. I have 3 children and am very concerned. Please help me with this repair - this has happened over 20 times.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 012012

I was driving about 50mph and tried to stop vehicle and it barely stopped and the brakes made a scrubbing sound. I turned the truck off and the brake light went off. This has happened several times sometimes when I first start the vehicle up.

- Lake Panasoffkee, FL, USA

Apr 142009

I was coming up on an intersection and the truck didn't stop, so I turn to the left and had a head on collision with another truck.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 022014

Armada 8-cyl

I will be driving down the street and all of the sudden my brakes will stop working, I would have to coast over to the side of the road turn the truck off and then turn it back on. Then it will reset. I've taken it to the dealership and they said it no recall on the problem. I was also pulling my trailer and the same thing happen and I could stop so I had to go up on the medium to keep from hitting another car.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 042014

I own a 2004 Nissan Armada I bought it used 1 year ago after a couple of months I started see that the brake light will turn on (like if I had the emergency brake) and my SUV would not stop the worst was in halloween when kids where crossing the street the light turned on and the stopping distance was huge thank god I was only going like 25 -30 mph nothing happened please Nissan take care of this major problem.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Oct 302009

While leaving work, I was traveling about 20mph when I applied the brakes and the truck would not stop. The brake pedal went to the floor, I heard a grinding noise and the brake light came on. The truck finally came to a stop after I pulled over to the side. I turned the truck off for about 30 seconds and restarted it, the brake light went off and the truck started to brake normally. I took it in to the dealership and they told me they did not find anything wrong. I have owned my truck for several years and it has continued to perform this way periodically(2 times a month). This is very dangerous and I pray everytime we drive it. Nissan has yet to do anything about this. For this reason, I will never purchase another Nissan product.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 242006

Armada 8-cyl

The brake light will go on while the car is in motion. When the brake is applied at this time there is a significant loss of breaking power as well as a grinding and jerking motion. It is extremely difficult to bring the vehicle to a stop. I have also noticed that if I turn on the vehicle and leave it in part position for 10 minutes or so, the brake light will also go on. If I put the car into drive, the same loss of braking power occurs. I have experienced the loss of braking power in various situations from going 75 miles on the freeway to as little as bringing the car out of parked position. There are many complaints with the same loss of power and Nissan has failed to issue a recall.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Sep 092014

My wife was driving our 2004 Nissan Armada home from the grocery store. She was on a back road heading home when she applied the brakes to go around a sharp turn. Instead of breaking, the vehicle made a loud grinding sound and the brake peddle vibrated violently. Thank goodness she was able to manage the turn and that there were no other vehicles in front of her. If this would have happened on the freeway this could have been fatal.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jul 242014

Armada 8-cyl

I have a 04 nissian Armada..well about a month or two I was going threw town around 35 mph and I when to stop at light and didnt have but 20% brakes and the brake light was on I was scared to death I got stop at store cut the car off and hit emeregcy cause my hubby thought it M8ight have been on but it wasnt I craced car back up and brake light was off and seem like everything was fine but I got it towed to shop where they said brakes and everything looked great well a couple weeks ago the same thing happen I was going threw town around 25 mph and the brake light was on not the ABS the brake light was on and I had very little brakes got to store cut car off and it was fine I took back to shop and got brakes rotors new brake everything and it did it again I am pi$$ed I have read over 250 review on this same problem happen to other people when is Nissan going to do something I dont have money to put in this car that I thought was top of the line when I got it this is a issue that is going to kill someone Nissan is going to be just like General Motors please someone help me and tell me what to do.

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Oct 072006

Armada 8-cyl

I purchased a brand new Nissan Armada back in 2004. Starting around 2006 I had a brake failure issue. The emergency light comes on unexpectedly and the brakes would not apply properly. You can hear a grinding, cranking, spring noise when "trying" to stop the behemoth vehicle. I took the car in to several Nissan dealers (while it was under warranty) but they all could not find anything wrong because... it was not happening at the time I took it in. This went on for years and years!!! how can I get it fixed under warranty, if the Nissan dealership can't tell me the problem" recently Nissan then advised me to do a diagnostic check. So after paying $115 out of pocket to prove something is wrong, they told me that the master cylinder booster sensor was "defective". so I let Nissan North America know about the "defect" and of course their response was "your vehicle is no longer under warranty". how heinous of a company can Nissan be" not care for the thousands of drivers including their families (it is a family car) and others who are at risk of being injured or killed because of this defect! on top of that they know about the issue! they have sold me a vehicle with defective parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to be fined and be accountable and fix the defective problem for all the consumers who are going through this terrible stressful issue not knowing when your vehicle cannot brake! this is a big safety and liability issue that needs to be fixed and addressed by Nissan asap.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Jul 072010

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the contact attempted to apply the brakes to avoid a crash with an oncoming vehicle. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated and the vehicle crashed into the oncoming vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 152010

Armada 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the brake lights illuminated and the brake pedal failed to respond. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000...updated 08-25-14 the consumer stated the failure was within the delta stroke sensor. Updated 08/28/2014

- Patteville, AL, USA

Apr 012009

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the brakes where applied and an abnormal noise emitted and the brake warning lights illuminated. The failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who could not diagnose the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Woodstock , GA, USA

Jul 012014

Armada 8-cyl

I currently drive my Nissan Armada to work 3 times a week. On occasion the brake light would come on out of nowhere and as soon as I step on the brake a loud grinding and springing noise starts to take place. Luckily I was able to slow down a bit and pull over. I turned off the car and after a minute I turned it back on and it was safe to drive again. This continuously happens and I'm afraid to drive it especially if my kids are inside the car. I see over 300 complaints and yet nothing has been done. We see all these GMC recalls, yet here we are with this Armada in just about the same dangerous situation.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Aug 032013

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated while traveling at any speed, the ABS sensor illuminated and there was a loud springing sound intermittently coming from the brakes. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician cleared the computer for the vdc code, replaced the ball bearings and the differential housing. The failure recurred. The contact had to continuously turn off the vehicle and restart it in order to reset the ABS sensor and the vdc sensor to no avail. The vehicle was to be inspected, diagnosed and repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id numbers: 07E046000 (equipment). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000. Pam updated 8/11/14

- Hazel Crest, IL, USA