2004 Nissan Armada brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Armada:

2004 Nissan Armada Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Apr 162015

Armada

I was driving and went to brake the vehicle and the pedal went to the floor the brake light came on in the dash and it was making grinding noises and there were no brakes. I pulled over and turned the car off and started again and it was ok. It happens periodically.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Jul 112005

Armada

Nissan Armada has a known problem with it's front brakes being undersized in the early models of said vehicles (model years 2004-2006). Several times have had issues with brakes not respoding and lost control of vehicle. This is caused by undersized breaks. Not having proper sized brakes has led to rotors easily overheating and glazing the brake pads which then led to hot spotted, warped, or otherwise ruined front rotors and pads. The greatest unsafe symptom is that especially in the warmer months the overheating of the rotors would cause the anti-lock front brake system sensors to trigger (false positive) randomly and you would dangerously lose control of the vehicles ability to brake (and steer) safely.

- Grover Beach, CA, USA

Apr 152015

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

While driving brake light, vdc off light, and slip light came on. When brakes applied, very loud grinding noise happened and brakes would not engage. I was able to pull off the road safely and turn car off and back on. Once car was turned on, lights remained on and brakes functioned normal. Luckily, I was not going very fast and no other cars were close or an accident would have resulted.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 012011

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

Nissan Armada (and titan which is identical mechanically) has a known problem with it's front brakes being undersized in the early models of said vehicles (model years 2004-2006). This can easily be confirmed by Nissan's three changes they have made to the front brakes of these vehicles even though the vehicles have essentially remained unchanged from years 2004 right up though the current model year 2015. They first changed the rotor thickness, then the rotor diameter (320mm to 350mm) and the calipers/torque members/brake hoses, then finally they changed the inner hub diameter of the rotor due to an increase in the hub/bearing size (82mm to 90mm). Nissan had issued at least one tsb about this problem but they never issued a recall which is what they should have done. The core issue is that these rather large full size SUV's and pickup trucks were designed initially with front brakes that were severely undersized for the weight/size of the vehicle. This led to the vehicles rotors easily overheating and glazing the brake pads which then led to hot spotted, warped, or otherwise ruined front rotors and pads. Another symptom (that I believe it caused and the most dangerous part) is that especially in the warmer months the overheating of the rotors would cause the anti lock front brake system sensors (located within the front wheel hub) to trigger (false positive) randomly and you would dangerously lose control of the vehicles ability to brake (and steer) safely. Turning the vehicle off momentarily and restarting would "clear" the problem but never the less extremely unsafe. I have contacted Nissan of North America customer service and informed them of this but they are unwilling to help other than to tell me to take it to a dealer at my own cost. I said I would be happy to do so if they covered the cost of the "diagnostics" but they refused.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Aug 182010

Armada

Brake light comes on and a springing clutter noise happens. I stop the car, turn it off and turn back again it's back to normal. It happens practically once a month or so but always scary. Dealership claims it's finding nothing.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Dec 192014

Armada

While driving on the highway with my 3 children, suddenly the vdc and slip lights came on, followed by the brake light. When I tried to slow around a curve and use the brakes to slow down I heard and felt a grinding sensation under the brake pedal and the brakes would not engage. Luckily, I managed to slow down enough and come to a complete stop where I turned off the vehicle, turned it back on and the system reset.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Oct 082013

Armada 8-cyl

Was driving vehicle 35 mph slowed down to go around sharp curve. When vehicle drove around curve there were vehicles in front of us that stopped suddenly. Applied brakes and pedal pulsed and required alot of effort to slow down. Was unable to slow vehicle down fast enough and rear ended vehicle in front of us. Caused a 3 car pileup. The 3 passengers in our 04 Armada suffered whiplash, the driver sprained her wrist and was out of work for 3 days because of accident. The Nissan Armada was totaled and had to purchase another vehicle. The brakes not working correctly is what caused the accident.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jul 172013

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

When coming to a stop and applying the brakes, the vehicle lost most of its braking power. The pedal went soft and began pulsating with a grinding noise. The brake light came on. It acted as though the ABS system was activated. The brake system stayed in the failed mode until I could pull over and turn the engine off and the computer would reset itself.

- Parker, CO, USA

Sep 062005

Armada 8-cyl

I have issues with my brakes on a frequent basis. Since I purchased my car, I have been having this issue. I have taken my car to several Nissan dealers. When my car was under warranty and I would also get the run around. I have been told my Nissan that unless the issue happens when the car is in the shop then they are unable to diagnose the problem. When I apply the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor and I hear a loud grinding noise from the front of the vehicle. This happens while I am driving. The only way to get it to work is if turn off the truck while cruising and turn it back on while cruising and it fixes the issue and I am able to stop fine. I have contacted Nissan before and they failed to help me. I have two small children. This issue is happening with several people. The Nissan Armada 2004 was the first Armada model, which this issue is a factory defect that is impacting hundreds of car owners. This issue needs to be taken seriously, since brakes is life threatening.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Nov 042014

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

Every once in a while, when I apply the brakes, the brake pedal went to the floor and I heard a loud grinding noise from the front of the vehicle. This happens randomly. It could happen once or twice a month and then not at all for the next month. I immediately shut off the truck while cruising and turn it back on while cruising and it fixes the issue and I am able to stop fine. I have contacted Nissan before and they failed to help me. Through hundreds of posts of Armada owner with the same issue it seem to be the brake booster in which an be up to 1500$ to fix. I cannot afford this fix and it seem that it should be a recall. Were talking about brakes. I have 3 children and am very concerned. Please help me with this repair - this has happened over 20 times.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 012012

Armada

I was driving about 50mph and tried to stop vehicle and it barely stopped and the brakes made a scrubbing sound. I turned the truck off and the brake light went off. This has happened several times sometimes when I first start the vehicle up.

- Lake Panasoffkee, FL, USA

Apr 142009

Armada

I was coming up on an intersection and the truck didn't stop, so I turn to the left and had a head on collision with another truck.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 022014

Armada 8-cyl

I will be driving down the street and all of the sudden my brakes will stop working, I would have to coast over to the side of the road turn the truck off and then turn it back on. Then it will reset. I've taken it to the dealership and they said it no recall on the problem. I was also pulling my trailer and the same thing happen and I could stop so I had to go up on the medium to keep from hitting another car.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 042014

Armada

I own a 2004 Nissan Armada I bought it used 1 year ago after a couple of months I started see that the brake light will turn on (like if I had the emergency brake) and my SUV would not stop the worst was in halloween when kids where crossing the street the light turned on and the stopping distance was huge thank god I was only going like 25 -30 mph nothing happened please Nissan take care of this major problem.

- Moreno Valley , CA, USA

Oct 302009

Armada

While leaving work, I was traveling about 20mph when I applied the brakes and the truck would not stop. The brake pedal went to the floor, I heard a grinding noise and the brake light came on. The truck finally came to a stop after I pulled over to the side. I turned the truck off for about 30 seconds and restarted it, the brake light went off and the truck started to brake normally. I took it in to the dealership and they told me they did not find anything wrong. I have owned my truck for several years and it has continued to perform this way periodically(2 times a month). This is very dangerous and I pray everytime we drive it. Nissan has yet to do anything about this. For this reason, I will never purchase another Nissan product.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Oct 242006

Armada 8-cyl

The brake light will go on while the car is in motion. When the brake is applied at this time there is a significant loss of breaking power as well as a grinding and jerking motion. It is extremely difficult to bring the vehicle to a stop. I have also noticed that if I turn on the vehicle and leave it in part position for 10 minutes or so, the brake light will also go on. If I put the car into drive, the same loss of braking power occurs. I have experienced the loss of braking power in various situations from going 75 miles on the freeway to as little as bringing the car out of parked position. There are many complaints with the same loss of power and Nissan has failed to issue a recall.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Sep 092014

Armada

My wife was driving our 2004 Nissan Armada home from the grocery store. She was on a back road heading home when she applied the brakes to go around a sharp turn. Instead of breaking, the vehicle made a loud grinding sound and the brake peddle vibrated violently. Thank goodness she was able to manage the turn and that there were no other vehicles in front of her. If this would have happened on the freeway this could have been fatal.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jul 242014

Armada 8-cyl

I have a 04 nissian Armada..well about a month or two I was going threw town around 35 mph and I when to stop at light and didnt have but 20% brakes and the brake light was on I was scared to death I got stop at store cut the car off and hit emeregcy cause my hubby thought it M8ight have been on but it wasnt I craced car back up and brake light was off and seem like everything was fine but I got it towed to shop where they said brakes and everything looked great well a couple weeks ago the same thing happen I was going threw town around 25 mph and the brake light was on not the ABS the brake light was on and I had very little brakes got to store cut car off and it was fine I took back to shop and got brakes rotors new brake everything and it did it again I am pi$$ed I have read over 250 review on this same problem happen to other people when is Nissan going to do something I dont have money to put in this car that I thought was top of the line when I got it this is a issue that is going to kill someone Nissan is going to be just like General Motors please someone help me and tell me what to do.

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Oct 072006

Armada 8-cyl

I purchased a brand new Nissan Armada back in 2004. Starting around 2006 I had a brake failure issue. The emergency light comes on unexpectedly and the brakes would not apply properly. You can hear a grinding, cranking, spring noise when "trying" to stop the behemoth vehicle. I took the car in to several Nissan dealers (while it was under warranty) but they all could not find anything wrong because... it was not happening at the time I took it in. This went on for years and years!!! how can I get it fixed under warranty, if the Nissan dealership can't tell me the problem" recently Nissan then advised me to do a diagnostic check. So after paying $115 out of pocket to prove something is wrong, they told me that the master cylinder booster sensor was "defective". so I let Nissan North America know about the "defect" and of course their response was "your vehicle is no longer under warranty". how heinous of a company can Nissan be" not care for the thousands of drivers including their families (it is a family car) and others who are at risk of being injured or killed because of this defect! on top of that they know about the issue! they have sold me a vehicle with defective parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to be fined and be accountable and fix the defective problem for all the consumers who are going through this terrible stressful issue not knowing when your vehicle cannot brake! this is a big safety and liability issue that needs to be fixed and addressed by Nissan asap.

- Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Jul 072010

Armada

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the contact attempted to apply the brakes to avoid a crash with an oncoming vehicle. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated and the vehicle crashed into the oncoming vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA