2004 Nissan Armada brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Armada:

2004 Nissan Armada Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jul 042012

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

I have an 04 Armada we were driving it a week ago, when we came to a stop sign and the brakes failed. It made a grinding noise, brake lights were on but no brakes very scary for us. This has happened numerous times and Nissan told me its the brake booster that's failing but it is not under warranty and therefore not covered. Researching this there is hundreds if not thousands of the same brake issue with these Armadas.

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Jul 082011

Armada

Brakes stopped working! brake light came on when I tried to come to a stop I had maybe 20% brake usage. If I had not noticed the light coming on and had to stop in an emergency would have crashed for sure! I have 3 kids, a great grandmother and 2 other kids that I watch 5 days a week. These will be a tragedy if the problem is not fixed. I have taken it to the dealer a number of times to be told there is no problem. Only for it to keep happening. Please help us a force Nissan to recall these models and repair so that we can be safe on our roads.

- Plainfield , IL, USA

Feb 072008

Armada

Over the last few years my brake light comes on and brakes fail. This is a large SUV, it is and will be fatal to not fix this problem. I have taken it to the dealer on numerous occasions for them to tell me that the can not find anything wrong with it. We have replaced the brakes alot to help the problem, still with no results. Now I am being told it is a brake booster sensor that needs to be replaced. I have researched and their are 1,000's + of people having the same issue. Please look out for the safety of us consumers and force Nissan to recall the 2004-2006 models of pathfinder Armadas. Help before someone is seriously injured or killed. The brakes do not work properly!!!! if you turn the vehicle off and then restart the engine, it magically goes away- for a little while. But, the problem always returns.

- Plainfield , IL, USA

Jun 142012

Armada 8-cyl

This is the 3rd time the brakes have failed since I purchased the used 2004 Armada about 1.5yrs ago. The Armada when purchased had approximately 123,000 miles on it. Not long after I purchased while driving at 50mph the brake pedal went soft the brakes were at approximately 5% and there was an electrical grinding noise. After turning the vehicle off and on again the problem went away. I took the vehicle to Nissan and was told that the rotors needed to be replaced because they were so thin the brake pads were having trouble gripping them and that was confusing the ABS which is what I was hearing. I was also told the brake software needed to be updated at additional cost. I paid for everything to be done only to have the problem again a couple months later while driving slowly on a gravel surface. I contacted the dealer again and was told just to turn the vehicle on and off again and if it happens again to bring it in. While driving through a shopping center parking lot it happened again. Brakes go out, peddle goes soft and electrical noise. I took the Armada to the dealer again and was told this time the brake fluid needed to be replaced. I asked why wasn't that done when all the other work was performed only a few thousand miles earlier. They said it was not part of the work to replace the brakes. I paid to have the brake fluid replaced. Recalls have been done on 2004 Armadas for brake issues in the past, during my last visit to Nissan I was told the module that controls all the braking system in my vehicle could be bad which may need to be replaced. I have to wait until my brakes fail again before they supposedly will know. Nissan knows there are problems still with the 2004 Armada braking system and should be made to recall them all to fix them.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

May 152008

Armada 8-cyl

When this first happened there was no pressure in the brake pedal when attempting to stop. The pedal shakes harshly and a grinding noise can be heard. The pedal itself goes to the floor as if all the brake fluid in the system is gone. When this happens, there is no warning that the condition exist except for a "brake" light warning in the instrument panel. However this does not help, because every time that this problem has occurred, the vehicle is in motion already. The light might as well state "get ready to crash". the brakes stay like that until the vehicle is turned off and then back on. This has happened at least 10 times since then, in different climates and times. I have changed brake discs and pads and topped the fluid off thinking maybe a difference in pressure was caused by the fluid or the amount of material that was left on the braking surfaces; this is not the case. Numerous posts on the internet have pointed this exact failure out and a few owners have been in accidents according to the posts on Armada specific websites. Nissan has always had issues with the brakes on this model. The first issue was with the front rotors being too small for the size of the vehicle, causing premature warping due to heat. I had this fixed a few times at the dealership as well as having to replace them myself a few times. This was a design flaw on Nissan's part. The same is with the root cause of the brake booster failure; bad design.

- Aldie, VA, USA

Jun 262012

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

Applied brakes, brake light went on ABS stopped working, brakes groan. They work at 10 %. please see youtube enter Armada brake system problem. There are 100's of complaints for the exact same failure. There is a problem in the brake booster. Once you shut off the vehicle and restart it the ABS resets until the next occurrence. This has occurred many times over the years, this system failure will cause death if not addressed.

- Winder, GA, USA

Jun 152012

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

Pulled out of driveway, put it in forward gear, heard a metal clicking noise. Went maybe 30 yards to the no outlet stop sign of our road and brake light came on in the dash, pressed down on the brake pedal to stop at the stop sign and the brakes started to surge. I did stop way before the sign but was scary. Stopped and shut the vehicle off and looked at it. Started up and light went off. Drove 5 blocks and coming to a street light at a busy state road and brake light came on again, brakes started surging on the decline of the road and I finally came to a stop maybe 5 feet before going out into the busy intersection of the street light. I have read many 2004/2005's having this issue once I did some research but nothing has been done for a recall except classification BR06-007 & reference ntb06-040. There is definitely an issue Nissan needs to solve and have a recall done!

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 012011

Armada

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal would depress to the floor when the brakes were applied. The anti lock braking system would also activate when the failure occurred. The contact would temporarily resolve the failure by shutting the vehicle off and restarting. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not taken to dealer for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 130,000 and the current mileage was 149,000.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Jun 062012

Armada 8-cyl

On June 6, 2012, while traveling approximately 10 mph I applied the brakes to stop and the pedal hit the floor, there was little or no resistance on the brake pedal and I heard crunching, metal on metal sound. Also, the vdc off, slip and ABS lights were on. I immediately pulled over, turned the truck off and on to reset it, and it worked, however, I began to travel a few miles and it happened again. I went to a local service station and code C1179 delta stroke sensor popped up. The technician test drove the truck and it ran well with no problems. The truck was fine until June 13, 2012, while leaving the supermarket it happened again. I was traveling no more than 10 mph and the brakes failed. I tried to reset it as I did before, however this time it didn't work. I had to turn the car off and on several times in order for it to reset. Once it was reset, I began to drive home and it happened again. So again, I pulled over to reset it and after several attempts it worked. This issue is very unsettling due to the fact that I have small children. This is my only method of transportation and I need this resolved as soon as possible.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Sep 032008

Armada 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake warning lamp illuminated and she was unable to engage the brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. The consumer stated the emergency brake light would randomly illuminate. Updated 08/16/12

- Manhattan Beach , CA, USA

May 222012

Armada

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. While traveling 30 mph, the contact applied the brakes and noticed that the stopping power had decreased. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the failure. The current and the failure mileages were 90,000.

- Puiallup, WA, USA

May 012007

Armada

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the brake light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the pedal dropped to the floor board. The contact was able to stop the vehicle. The brakes performed as normal once he restarted the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer about six different times for a diagnostic test. The technician stated that the master cylinder sensor, the rotors, and the battery would have to be replaced. Brake fluid was also added to the vehicle. The failure continued after the repairs. The vehicle was not repaired a second time. The approximate failure mileage was 6,000.

- Moca, PR, USA

May 032012

Armada

As I was driving the brake light came on and a very loud noise came on with it. My truck began to lock up and slow down. After trying to step on the brakes to get it to stop several times, it finally came to a stop. I was terrified because I didn't think the truck would stop and I almost ran into the back of someone. After getting the brakes to work, I put the truck in park and turned it off. I sat there in traffic with my hazard lights on and waited for about a minute. I started my truck back up and put it into drive. I drove a few feet and the entire ordeal started all over again. This time after getting it to stop. I put it in park and sat in traffic for about 3-5 minutes with my hazard lights on. After I started it up again, the truck drove fine. This is not the first time this has happened, and I've taken it to several dealerships, but naturally they could find nothing wrong. I reported it to Nissan and each time I took it to them for service, they never found anything wrong with it. I even went on a dashboard on line to see if anyone else was experiencing this problem, and they have. Some say it was the brake booster, but after they got it changed they still had the same problem. I've been experiencing this problem since I have had the truck and when it happened the first time, I was told that sometimes it takes a little longer for the computer to register that the hand brakes are off. I was told this by Nissan service department. This needs to be a safety recall because it truly is a safety issue. This problem has gotten worse as the years go by. Something is wrong and it's something that has been wrong with the vehicle. It only happens at certain times and I have had my brakes inspected, changed, and all of the above. Someone needs to put this out to Nissan and have them issue a recall before someone gets seriously hurt or worse killed.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Dec 072003

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

When I first purchased car the brakes went out at 3000 miles and I've continued to have a problem ever since.Nissan fixed the brake judder but another issue arose.now whenever it wants the brakes just go out.I've had the car in the shop multiple times for this problem.I have to shut car off and restart as if some electrical component is resetting.this has never been fixed and now I'm out of warranty.Nissan can't find the problem or just doesn't want to take the time to fix.this is leading to a very unsafe vehicle because there is no telling when it will happen again.

- Crestwood, IL, USA