2005 Nissan Armada fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Armada:

2005 Nissan Armada Owner Comments

Jun 262014

Armada 8-cyl

My gas gauge is not reading properly. My gas tank is full and gas gauge is showing only half tank full and at times vice versa.

- Travelers Rest, SC, USA

Aug 172013

Armada 8-cyl

Vehicle started fine as usual, but as we were taking off to drive out driveway. The engine stalled and would not restart even though starter was turning. The fuel gauge was showing a quarter of a tank fuel level. I called Nissan dealer and they said it may be fuel sending unit. Put about 4 gallons of gas in gas tank and engine started, but still showed quarter of a tank on fuel gauge. The fuel tank was evidently empty even though gauge was showing it had fuel in tank. This could have been a very serious safety issue if this had happened on the freeway. Nissan dealer says our vehicle VIN is not in the recall, but it is evident that this vehicle has the same issue as the recalled vehicle. This problem needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Armada 8-cyl

Driving down the interstate, my Armada fuel needle showed I had 1/4 tank of gas. The vehicle shut down and I was stuck on the side of the highway for 3 hours. When the vehicle was towed and a diagnostic check was done, I was told the vehicle had run out of gas. I was told by the dealer that the fuel system had been under recall by Nissan. Nissan says that my vehicle is not apart of the recall, even though, I have the same year and model of the other vehicles recalled.

- Bartow, FL, USA

Jul 052013

Armada 8-cyl

Wife was driving and gas gauge showed 1/8 tank. Vehicle almost ran out of gas on her. She made it to gas station on fumes. Also, had it happen the other way around not long after first issue. Gas light came on so she went to get gas. After filling vehicle up she found that the tank had 6-7 gallons of gas left in it. It seems fuel sending unit is bad / faulty in this Armada as well as many others. Vehicle (gas gauge) could lead her to believe she has gas and then she could run out of gas somewhere.

- Cleves, OH, USA

Jan 032012

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Armada has the problem described in NHTSA #10V-074. Nissan claims my vehicle is not part of the recall even thought the recall is for 2005 - 2009 Nissan Armadas. It is very frustrating to have a safety problem, learn that the manufacturer is aware of it and has a recall, but to be told that it doesn't apply to your vehicle. Clearly it does, because I have the exact problem described, "issue can cause the fuel gauge to show that the vehicle still has some fuel, typically about one quarter tank, when fuel tank is empty."

- Germantown, WI, USA

Jul 232011

Armada 4WD 8-cyl

Driving along and vehicle sputters and shuts down, coasting to a stop. Unable to restart. Gas gauge shows approximately 1/4 tank of gas remaining yet it will not start. Upon getting some gas and putting it in tank, vehicle starts again and continues to run and is driven to gas station for additional gas. This has happened on approximately 10 occasions. Called the Nissan customer service line and was told that their recall on fuel sending units for Nissan Armadas did not include my vehicle. Was instructed to seek further assistance and diagnosis from dealer or repair shop of my choice. Declined to repair & service my vehicle regarding my complaint. Further research on my part has found that this is an issue with many Nissan Armada vehicles that do not fall under the Nissan recall umbrella, with Nissan declining to address or repair those vehicles as well. Nissan refuses to research into these complaints with a blanket denial that these vehicles do not fall into their 'determined' list of vehicle affected with this issue. I would merely like my complaint to be addressed and repaired accordingly. I purchased my vehicle brand new in July 2005.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Sep 202011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel would spill out from the filler neck and the fuel gauge would display readings of being half full. An authorized dealer was notified and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V074000 (fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system). The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 114,000 and the current mileage was 156,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 172010

Armada 8-cyl

Check engine light remained on due to catalytic converter failure. Received warranty notice from Nissan of problem with catalytic failure, however, my mileage prevented free replacement. My state require emission testing each year, therefore, without replacement I would be unable to register my truck. My truck was purchased new and is service on a regular basis. Paid for replacement.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Aug 192011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Armada. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V074000 (fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system) and had repairs performed. The contact stated that the fuel gauge had not failed before the repairs were performed. After the repairs, the contact noticed the fuel gauge read empty while parked. After driving the vehicle the fuel gauge reading fluctuated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician stated the fuel gauge would have to be replaced. The repair would not be covered under the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,064. Updated 09/21/11 updated 2/23/12

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 102011

Armada 8-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Armada fuel gauge is reading incorrectly. When the fuel gauge gets down to 1/4 of a tank it stops registering. I found this out because twice I thought I had a 1/4 of a tank left but there was actually no gas in my tank and I ran out of gas in the middle of the highway. I took my car to the Nissan of mckinney dealership and they said my VIN number did not fall under the recall and couldn't fix it, even though it was having the same issue as the recall for the Armada. I submitted a complaint to Nissan and they rejected my request to have Nissan pay for it because my VIN wasn't part of the recall. If Nissan knows this is an issue with the aramda why wouldn't all Armada be covered?

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Feb 142011

Was driving on major highway and vehicle stalled in inside lane and would not restart, fuel tank read 1/4 tank and was actually empty per service ticket from Nissan dealer that it was towed to. They would only give me some of the money I spent because my vehicle was not on recall list, my wife could have been seriously injured and local dealer was of no help when other people that I know personally have had there vehicle repaired fro free according to Nissan web site 2005 Armadas are on recall list but they keep saying mines not included, all I want is to be treated farily

- South Bend , IN, USA

Jan 192011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was reading inaccurately and caused the vehicle to stall while she was driving approximately 70 mph. The driver immediately added gasoline to the fuel tank. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who informed the contact that she needed to replace the fuel sender unit. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- Gonsales, LA, USA

Mar 272010

Armada 8-cyl

2005 Nissan Armada fuel gauge is not accurate and causing my Armada to ran out of fuel in the mid of highway speed at 65mph. The fuel gauge saying I have 1/4 tank left as the car shutdown in the busy 65mph highway traveling, very close call on accident. Took the SUV to mossy Nissan of houston, I was told there's no recall on my SUV VIN specific. I was told there's a recall 2005-2009 but on VIN # specific only.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 022010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Armada. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact turned the key off and tried to restart the engine and the vehicle would not start. All of the electrical components continued operation. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and the dealer discovered a faulty sender unit. The dealer replaced the sender unit. After the repairs, the check engine light illuminated so the contact took the vehicle back to the dealer. The diagnostic test showed that the catalytic convert malfunctioned and would need to be replaced. The dealer replaced the catalytic convert and a month later, the catalytic converter failure recurred. The contact inquired with the manufacturer in regards to NHTSA campaign id number: 10V074000 (fuel system, other:storage:fuel gauge system) but was advised that his VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was investigating whether or not the vehicle should be added to the recall. The failure mileage was 96,500.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Oct 292010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Armada. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while stopped and the fuel gauge indicated that there was a quarter tank of gas. The contact called the manufacturer who stated that the vehicle was not included in recall 10V074000 (fuel system, other: Storage: Fuel gauge system). The dealer inspected the vehicle and stated that they would assist with some of the repair costs; the fuel sending unit was defective. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 110,357.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Jul 292010

The vehicle unexpectedly shut down while I was driving on a highway at 65 mph. The engine shutdown completely but the electrical parts were still functioning. Luckily I was driving at a time when there was no traffic so I was able to coast to the side of the road. I waited for about 5 minutes and tried to re-start the vehicle hoping that I could at least get home. After about 20 minutes and a couple of attempts, the vehicle did start but stalled and shut down again a few blocks from home while I was driving at 35mph. Again I was able to coast to the side of the road and tried to re-start it with no success. At this point I had the vehicle towed. The Nissan dealership changed the ipdm and supposedly fixed the vehicle. I picked it up and after driving only 10 miles, it would not start back up. I took it back to the dealer again and they came back saying that now the catalytic converters had to be replaced and informed me that both the ipdm and catalytic converters were a common issue with the Armada. Sounds to me like a recall should be in place for this. I can only thank god for helping me to stay calm when the vehicle shutdown and that neither my kids or I got into an accident on the freeway. What makes this matter worse is that there was no warning! no engine light or anything to warn you of the failure or danger!

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Jan 062010

I own a Nissan Armada (2005). While driving normally in highway conditions, the vehicle has stalled out and quit running on 3 occasions. After the first incident, I had it towed to a dealership but no work was done since they could not get the vehicle to repeat the problem. About a month later the same thing happened again. The vehicle had to be towed back the dealership again. This time I was told the problem was related to the "integrated power distribution module (ipdm). After looking up this problem on the internet, I discovered that this has been a continuing problem with both older and newer Armadas (as well as other Nissan). I do not know if there have been crashes resulting from this problem but I do feel this is a safety issue that Nissan needs to address.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

Sep 022009

I was driving to work when driving a frwy speed the truck sputtered and shut of when I was on the fast lane. I had to let the truck roll off the frwy. The gas tank indicated that I had 1/4 tank left. I added gas because the truck was trying to crank over. The truck then started up right away, I could have caused an accident if I didn't think quickly about getting off the frwy, could have been rear ended if I was inexperienced. I know fuel pump sending unit is bad in these trucks and there has to be a solution to get this problem fixed.

- El Monte, CA, USA