2009 Nissan Cube electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Cube:

2009 Nissan Cube Owner Comments

Jan 102016

On two separate occasions, within a 7 day period, after a short drive in cold weather, and then parked for 1/2 hour period, the ignition would not respond (I.e. start) when key would be turned to start position. The car had to be towed to service facility, where no common problem could be found, and ignition operated as expected. This is the same situation as reported on NHTSA reference #10040035, Nissan tsb #ntb-11-057 for this make, model, year, with the sole exception this car has a intelligent key ignition, as opposed to push button ignition for the cars covered under the Nissan tsb. In call to Nissan concerning the problem, the local dealership acknowledged the tsb, but stated that it only concerned models with the push button start.

- Kewanee, IL, USA

Aug 052015

Car failed in a remote area would not restart after stopping, towed to local Nissan dealership and they stated that it was the electronic steering control lock complete failure and stops vehicle from starting. Wife suffered from heat exposure directly related to situation, this part was recalled and I had the recall repaired. If a basic search on this you will find that this is a common and expensive problem that Nissan ended up discontinuing this part on later cars. But this failure is a serious problem.

- Bear Creek, NC, USA

Jan 282012

The transmission range switch (commonly referred to as a neutral safety switch) will sometimes fail to make proper electrical contact. This condition results in two of three conditions. One condition is a failure of the prndl indicator on the dashboard (as opposed to the prndl indicator at the shifter control) to illuminate. The next two conditions are much less benign; they can be much more frustrating or dangerous. The very frustrating condition is: Because the switch fails to indicate the shifter is in park or neutral, the engine cannot be started. The very dangerous condition is: If before the switch fails to maintain proper contact the engine has already been started, then the idling engine (as usual) is sufficient to get the vehicle into an intersection; however, the engine will delay acceleration by quite a few seconds, regardless of the accelerator's position, as the driver attempts to get through the intersection. My recommendation for an efficient recall is to recommend Nissan develop redundancy into this switch. Nissan could easily redesign this switch to double (or even triple) then switch's sliding contacts. Doing so would allow the multiple, identical "poles" and "throws" to be connected parallel to each other before they are electrically routed toward the eight-pin connector. This redundancy would easily, quickly, efficiently, and certainly reduce this infrequent but very problematic condition to an issue which ought (statistically) become so infrequent it's no longer a concern. The transmission range switch is Nissan part number: Switch assy 20150227 31918-1xcod and is very likely used on more vehicles than just the Cube models.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jan 302015

Cube 4-cyl

Performance recall P1225. Car continues to face same recall problem.

- Union , NJ, USA

Jun 192014

Cube 4-cyl

Went to start car would not do anything. Ignition. Like it lost key reading. But steering wheel lock was causing it not to start.

- Blaine , TN, USA

Mar 042014

Cube 4-cyl

Blinking light on dash, air bag warning light. Air bag control unit malfunction, must be replaced and also possibly the air bag on the steering wheel. This should be covered under the warranty.

- Pelzer, SC, USA

Jun 062014

Cube 4-cyl

The electronic steering wheel lock failed car wont start. The part was replaced in July 2011 on a recall the new part failed in June 2014 Nissan would not replace a 2ed time under recall, with much begging they paid for part I paid for labor. This left my wife stranded in a less than ideal spot Nissan extended the warranty on this same part on 2009 Nissan Altima but not on Cube.

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Feb 172014

Electronic steering column lock (escl) failed, the car was totally immobilized, was not responding to keyless start, steering wheel was locked. This happened when the car was parked. The problem with escl lock is known to Nissan, it issued a recall and extended warranty for the part for other car models. I'm worrying whether this can happen while car is moving.

- Reston, VA, USA

Feb 102014

The vehicle would not start after it was working properly, but once parked and off tried to turn the vehicle on and it would not start. It is a problem with the escl which was part of the manufacturing irregularity, which was confirmed by Nissan dealership service center, and will not fix under warranty.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Jun 102010

Cube 4-cyl

I bought my Nissan Cube in 2010 (used with about 23,000 miles). I have been having trouble with the air condition making a fan noise, slowing down, going faster then cutting off. The dealer said it was normal bor the A/C to do that, but now I believe it is really going to die out. I have also been having trouble with my Cube where you press on the gas and the car is going anywhere, then in a couple of seconds the tires kind of stutter along and I'm on my way. This happens alot. I bought new tires because I thought that this was what was wrong with it, but it still does it.I also have that stupid tire light coming on a lot and then my new tires are deflating for no reason. Took it back to the tire shop where the checked all the pressures in my tires, 1 was very low and turned off light on my dash. This vehicle is too wide, scares the heck out of me when I have to turn left or right only because the windshield is too wide and you have to scoot way up or way back to make sure when you turn that you can see where you are going. You no matter how many times I told the guy at Nissan what was wrong, they could never find anything wrong with the vehicle. Now I have had it three years and all the problems are worse. I think this car was jinx when I brought, and I wasn't even the vehicle I wanted to buy, but the salesperson and financial person kept pushing for me to get this vehicle, and as a single mom and a person that needed a vehicle very badly, I took the bait and bought the car. I'm looking for something better now and I hope I don't get ripped off again.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jul 102009

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Cube. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact activated the windshield wipers and the instrument panel went completely black. Suddenly, the instrument panel lights illuminated again. When the wipers were deactivated, the lights would dim again. The dealer did not diagnose the vehicle, but stated that they would call the manufacturer for guidance. The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer. The current mileage was approximately 330 and failure mileage was approximately 280.

- Port Richey, FL, USA