Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In a very limited selection on small pickup trucks, the Frontier is one of the best options except -- and I cannot emphasize this enough -- for one problem that makes it an avoid-at-all-costs pain in you know what: the radiator ruptures and leaks coolant into the transmission, killing it. Such a buzzkill.

This problem affects most 2005-2008 (and maybe beyond) Frontiers.

2005 Nissan Frontier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Frontier:

2005 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 252011

Frontier 6-cyl

I owns a 2005 Nissan Frontier. When I attempted to start my vehicle it would not start. After several attempts and still would not start, I waited a few minutes. While I waited I check with the fuse box and check the terminal wires. Then I was able to start the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified and informed her that the vehicle was not included in any related recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued to recur intermittently. The failure mileage was 11000 and the current mileage was 11500.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 012010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Frontier. While driving approximately 30 mph the contact noticed that the fuel gauge on the dashboard fluctuated intermittently. The contact stated that the air bag light illuminated intermittently and the check engine light also illuminated on the dashboard constantly. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or to be repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Sycamore, IL, USA

Nov 152010

Frontier 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Frontier ipdm module defective causing car to shut off unexpectedly while driving under normal circumstances in traffic. Can cause serious accident as the vehicle looses power completely in the middle of traffic at any speed in which you can no longer have the ability to safely maneuver the vehicle. As a consequence, other cars may not be able to or have the time to move around your vehicle in time. There are great numbers of people complaining about this same ipdm issue on many Nissan on the internet. This is could lead to serious accidents or someone loosing their life. It happened to me while entering a busy highway and the car lost power suddenly and shut off. I was left helpless with oncoming traffic behind me. I was lucky I was not struck. Nissan dealer confirmed it was the ipdm. This a wide problem with Nissan vehicles.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Jul 192010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Frontier. When she attempted to start the vehicle it would not start. After several attempts, she waited a few minutes and she was able to start the vehicle. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified and informed her that the vehicle was not included in any related recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued to recur intermittently. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Naples, FL, USA

Nov 102010

Frontier 4-cyl

2005 Frontier ran out of gas due to defective sensor. Took into dealer and the dealer held car hostage until diagnosticfee was paid. Told it was a defective ipdm. Looked around and this is a common problem dealership understands. Truck broke down while driving and would not start major safety issue.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 212010

I was driving my 2005 Nissan Frontier and the vehicle ran out of gas while traveling on the roadway even though the gauges indicated 1/4 of a tank of gas remaining. I was nearly rear ended by another vehicle traveling behind me. Fortunately I was on a roadway with a travel speed of 35mph and not on a major highway. I had to push my vehicle to the roadside and call for assistance from a family member. I contacted the dealer to find that the vehicle is know to have a failure of the fuel level sending unit. I was told they have recalled 2006-2010 models of the Nissan Frontier but the 2005 model using the same part was not. I had to pay the dealer an $89.95 diagnostic fee to confirm what they already told me and then pay $470 additional in part and labor fees. Nissan Consumer Affairs was unresponsive and denies they have a problem with the 2005 model even though I presented them with a factory service bulletin I obtained that clearly identifies the problem for the 2005 model year and tells the dealer what to do, what to replace and allows them to claim for reimbursement for the part from Nissan. Service bulletin ntb07-069B part affected fuel level sending unit # 25060-zz00A.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Dec 252009

2005 Nissan Frontier fuel gauge & check service light. The check service light came on and the fuel gauge reading poorly+erratically. Went on web and found this problem has been ongoing from previous years and models. There are hundreds of complaints on the web so there must be thousands who have been affected. The repair cost is $600 from the dealer, a cash cow. My truck has only 30,000 miles and been babied. I feel this is a planned design defect and a recall should be ordered. Samuel baylus

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jun 182009

Serious safety issue: At a very busy California intersection, my vehicle simply quit running, at which point I was able to re start said vehicle and "limp" it to a safe area, luckily I might add. I had vehicle towed to a service facility where the mechanic found a lose battery connection in which he thought he solved the mechanical problem. The next day traveling down hwy 50 in the Sierra mountains at 65 mph the vehicle stopped running again and I was lucky enough to have an exit nearby that I safely coasted the dead vehicle into. Had vehicle towed to a different mechanic. He found a faulty ipdm ( intelligent power distribution module ). upon his research and mine, this is an ongoing problem in which Nissan is not responding to. It should be safety issue and be recalled by Nissan and the repair should be performed at no charge from a Nissan dealership. If you were to google : "ipdm problem Nissan " you will find further data. Please review, and thanks for listening....

- Galt, CA, USA

Sep 042009

After getting gas I started my 2005 Nissan Frontier and as I entered back on the highway the engine immediately stalled. The "service engine" light and the 4WD warning light came on. After rolling about 50 ft it started running normally again. I visited my Nissan dealer on 9/10/09 and they could not find anything wrong. That afternoon after getting gas it stalled after starting it again with the same warning lights on. I could not restart it. This time it had to be towed to the dealer. They found that an engine electronic module had failed but was on nationwide back-order and did not know when it would be replaced. I was told it was a large problem in 2006, 2007 and some in 2008 Nissan Frontier and titan trucks. If this item is in nationwide back-order it must be a major problem and a dangerous one if a vehicle's engine stalls while in operation on roads and highways.

- Warren, NJ, USA

Jul 052009

My 2005 Nissan pickup's fuel gauge has stopped working. The gauge no longer indicates gas in tank even when full. The service engine light is on and the reserve light is on.

- Brookline, MA, USA