Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Feb 222014

Frontier 6-cyl

I had just parked my truck in my driveway(truck was off, key was removed) when I removed two bags from the back seat area(the seat was where it all ways is) I walked in the kitchen area put the bags on the table, as I was walking back to my truck I seen the truck roll back about a foot or 2 then stop.there wasn't any snow or ice on my driveway, no black ice either the temp around 45, sun shining. I did see my truck roll this is the god's truth. If I would have under the truckfor any reason I my not be here telling you this. I do not us my parking break I never us it, the trans, locks when you put it in park.the time of day was 1pm this the first I have seen this.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Feb 102014

Frontier 6-cyl

My Nissan Frontier began making a slight engine noise at about 30,000 miles ( I am hearing impaired). The noise became more noticeable when accelerating. At about 39,000 miles someone else heard the noise and told me my timing chains were about to break due to a common Nissan defect and not to drive the car as the engine could lock up while driving without any warning. Although there was a service bulletin by Nissan in 2007 and 2009 (ntb09-128) I was not made aware of the danger of driving this vehicle. I feel the timing chain tensioning system is defective on these vehicles and is dangerous to the public. If the system fails the driver would be unable to accelerate or maintain their speed and expose them to the risk of being rear ended if their vehicle suddenly stalls. I would not have expected an engine with only 30,000 miles to fail. Had they notified me in 2007 or 2009 of the problem I could have had it repaired under my extended warranty. I had to pay to have this common and dangerous defect repaired.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Jan 152013

My Nissan dealer told me I need timing chain guides and it would cost me $1600, then I go on line and Nissan new about this problem in 2009. They said if I had 60,000 miles they would have covered this, they new this was going to happen and did not tell me. This is fraud and something should be done about this.this problem is happening all over the country on these vehicles. What are you going to do about this?

- Norfolk, MA, USA

Nov 202013

Frontier 6-cyl

Driving going 50 trunk shut off, luckily I was able to get off the happened around 10 more times over a month before it just quit.not having high mileage on the truck now or at the time of receiving a warranty notification back in 2012 never thought of we had it towed to put on a fuel pump that it did not need $400 still will not start.I started looking up reviews on Nissan to find out that Nissan has known about this in 2007.I still owe $3600 on this truck, bought it new with 24 miles on a lease... loved after my lease was up I refinanced 2010 with 41501 miles bought a 3 yr extended warranty, never used after learning about a co - pay for a truck really truck has 81000 miles..I don't have $2500 to put in it.time for Nissan to recall it, and face it you have a problem Nissan.please I need help.

- Grafton, WV, USA

Jan 032014

Frontier 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier with cross contamination of radiator fluid and transmission fluid. The dealer states the known defect is beyond the 100,000 mile cutoff for the extend manufacturers warranty that deals with this common and well known defect. The estimated cost of repair is $4800 with the full burden resting on me for a common and well known manufacturing defect that could have been avoided had Nissan recalled the vehicles and made the repairs as soon as they were aware. There is a class action lawsuit but again my vehicle is outside of the parameters of the lawsuit. I don't quite know what to do as I like most everyone don't have $5000 sitting around and unfortunately my credit is in horrible shape so I can't get a loan to pay for it nor can I qualify for a loan to trade it in. How in the world can I ever justify buying another Nissan product knowing they don't produce a safe, quality product and they are not willing to fix defective equipment.

- Greenbrier, TN, USA

Jun 072012

Was parked at store with truck running when it ran hot. With further look it was the transmission oil mixing with the coolant. Replaced radiator. Now transmission is slipping and now not pulling.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Nov 212013

Frontier 6-cyl

The truck would get a shudder/vibration that shook the whole truck at around 45 and 60 miles per hour and would not shift properly. A Nissan dealer verified that the transmission had been cross contaminated with coolant fluid. I was livid to learn that Nissan knew about this issue since 2007 but did not tell me about the defect when I took the truck for maintenance (a transmission fluid exchange) in 2010 when I had 68,000 miles on the truck. I was robber of the opportunity to take action even at my own cost that would have prevented this catastrophic failure. Nissan refuses to pay anything towards the cost citing the settlement in the class action. I was told the terms of the settlement would not allow Nissan to cover anything after 100,000 miles. I refused to allow the dealer to fix it because they did not give me a warning when I was having the routine maintenance done on the trani and because Nissan will never get another penny from me. The service tech at the Nissan dealer told me not to buy an after market radiator because it would be based on the old radiator design so I could have the same problem of cross contamination again. He said Nissan had a new radiator. Clearly sounds like a manufacturer design defect. Also, I read that it is for 2005-2010 Nissan but I spoke with the owner of a 2011 Nissan Frontier who told me he had the cross contamination but because it was under warranty, Nissan had to pay to fix everything. The fact that Nissan knows about this but is not being proactive in letting customers know that there could be a problem is irresponsible. I had to pay $5200 to fix the trani and radiator, $110 for the dealer to confirm cross contamination, $104 for towing and $330 for a rental car. This is 180 degrees from how Honda is treating the recently announced cooling fluid leak they have. Honda is extending the warranty 10 years with unlimited miles.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Nov 292013

Frontier 6-cyl

The Nissan Frontier radiator contaminated the transmission with coolant thus causing the transmission to malfunction in a busy traffic area. This issue caused my vehicle to shutter thus forcing the traffic to the rear of me to lock up brakes to avoid hitting me. To my dismay, this problem is known by Nissan who refuses to fix the issues. To prove the issue is larger than Nissan admits, choose transmission repair shops in any area, make a phone call and tell them you own a Nissan Frontier, you will need say no more, the shop manager will without prompt say "you have transmission issues due to the radiator contaminating the transmission, you will have to rebuild/replace the transmission." It is up to the NHTSA to protect the consumer from fraudulent companies such as Nissan. A recall is the only course of action...most consumers cannot afford the cost of a transmission (upwards or 7000 dollars) and will drive their Nissan regardless of the danger the transmission slippage causes. It is now time for the recall before someone is injured or killed.

- Chester, VA, USA

Dec 012012

Frontier 6-cyl

About 1 yr ago fuel gauge stopped registering-was unaware of issues, never received notice of issues and past mileage for warranty. I have not been able to afford to fix it, so we are constantly worried about running out of gas. In August of this year, truck running rough, hesitating in low gear. Had our mechanic flush transmission, but started again and got intensely worse the past 2 months. Unable to afford to fix, we had to wait, but finally no choice but to take it in. Radiator leaking into transmission, seals cracked, etc. Going to cost 3100 to fix. Called Nissan, but they basically told me I was out of luck as truck past mileage for standard and extended warranties (that they charge you for, knowing there is faulty transmission).

- Dorchester, SC, USA

Dec 232013

Was driving fine up to the point where we seemed to have lost all ability to accelerate. When we pressed the gas, it appeared to be in neutral, although it wasn't. this happened as we drove down the middle of the road. We ended up coasting to the side and put the truck into park, then reengaged the gear shift into drive, it then took off and we slowly drove to a parking lot before it failed again. No warning signs on the dash indicated a problem (still no indication) or any sign of trouble before the transmission just fails. This is a known issue with this year and style of truck and no one made us aware. We have had this truck since we bought it new, never received any notification of the known defect from Nissan. It would have been nice to know the radiator leaks into the transmission and causes transmission failure. We would have had this replaced prior to the failure.

- East Peoria, IL, USA

Dec 072013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph when the vehicle began to vibrate before stalling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the cooling unit inside had ruptured. The failure caused coolant to leak into the transmission and transmission fluid to leak into the radiator. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Wellsburg, WV, USA

Nov 132013

Frontier 6-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Frontier has automatic transmission fluid in the radiator, and radiator coolant in the automatic transmission. The transmission is now shifting improperly.

- Monroe, WA, USA

Sep 182013

Frontier 6-cyl

I use my truck every day. I started to getting problem with the transmission. I did a diagnostic on the transmission and it came that the transmission is infected and it need to be change. I just got these truck like 4 month ago.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Frontier 6-cyl

At low speeds the transmission stutters / hesitates. I've been told by Nissan that I need a new valve body. I believe my vehicle suffers from the radiator / transmission issues as experienced by many other customers.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 092013

Frontier 6-cyl

Vehicle began to shift upward and downward erratically at various speeds and RPM. It would also shake and shudder like the whole vehicle was on a rocky road -- everything vibrating from the frame to the steering wheel. Very sudden, alarming, and disconcerting.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 112013

Frontier 6-cyl

When set in D, the RPM's dropped. Next day driving 20 sec. And looses all power. Can shift the gear stick, but the transmission does not engage. No audible warning or anything like that. Just stopped driving. Got code P1759 and P1769. Needs new transmission and radiator because the coolant leaked into transmission. $5500 is the quote from the dealer.

- Haiku, HI, USA

Oct 022013

Frontier 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier that is having complete transmission failure due to the known issue of radiator fluid contaminating the lines to the transmission and causing internal failure. I have been quoted $5,000 in repairs for the radiator and transmission. There is a class action lawsuit against Nissan for this very issue for several models. The dealership acknowledged the lawsuit, however, said a settlement or recall has not been issued at this point and they could not discuss it any further with me. They suggested I trade the car in and buy another from them, even suggesting another Frontier.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 012013

Frontier 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier and for the last 9 or 10 months it becomes "herky-jerky" at various speeds. I only drive this vehicle in the winter so yesterday I took it in to the dealership and today they informed me the coolant had leaked into the transmission. The dealership informed me the cost for the repair is $6500. I asked them if this was something normal and they said it was unusual. I did some checking on the internet and found out there was a settlement agreement regarding this defect. Other sites directed me to make a complaint with you because this appears to be a widespread problem and due to the fact the settlement agreement was essentially worthless. Given this I am filing this complaint with you in hopes this will turn into a recall. Also, made a claim today with Nissan and expecting a case worker to call back tomorrow. If they do not agree to pay for the cost of the damage I will take them to small claims. Of note, I have only sued one entity before in my life (49yo) and it was Nissan back in 1997 and I won. It was a defect in the wiring of my previous Frontier. I can say Nissan likes to play hard ball and not settle or admit to any of their faults. I gave them more than sufficient evidence and was very patient in this prior claim, but they kept denying. I learned my lesson that time and this time I will not be so patient and will inform them I will taken more expeditiously this time.

- Cumming, IA, USA

Jan 152013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the transmission slipped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the transmission fluid leaked into the radiator and the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Takoma, WA, USA

May 192010

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, there was a sudden loss of power steering without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the fuel gauge failed to display accurate fuel levels. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was advised that the fuel level sending unit inside the fuel tank needed to be replaced. Also, the vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was advised that the radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. As a result, the radiator, the power transmission, and steering shaft needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V075000(fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Belleair, FL, USA