Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jul 012016

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that there was fluid contamination in the transmission. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 262016

The automatic transmission cooling lines were compromised in the radiator. Coolant contaminated the automatic transmission fluid and ruined the transmission specifically causing the relay in the transmission that is connected to the starter circuit to malfunction. There was therefore no warning that anything was wrong until the truck simply would not start. The quote from the dealership is $6,600. This is particularly frustrating because 6 months ago I paid for a full inspection of the vehicle and though this is a known issue that is preventable, there was no mention of it in the report.

- Tybee Island, GA, USA

Jun 252014

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving approximately 40 mph, the transmission gears stopped shifting and the engine revved and made a loud noise. The contact drive the vehicle in first gear to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact did not notify the manufacturer. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 012016

Transmission failure: Atf contamination. Radiator fluid mixed into transmission, therefore ruining both transmission and radiator.

- Signal Hill, CA, USA

Jan 111991

Frontier 6-cyl

I bought the truck from a private party. As it was not registered, I have not tried. I subsequently overview, that the transmission was not normal. I looked at the worst default of the Frontier on the internet and I find that everyone has a problem radiator crack leaked into transmission fluid. I have been to the garage. They said there was coolant in the oil transmission. I had to replace the transmission and radiator coolant radiator bypass. It cost me $ 2,408 cad

- Jonquiere Quebec,Canadag7x7v4, DC, USA

Apr 072016

According to the mechanic, the transmission coolant reservoir (which is connected to the radiator) collapsed causing water, antifreeze and transmission fluid to mix. These fluids then made their way into the radiator, transmission and coolant reservoir. This, in turn, caused extensive damage to my transmission. My transmission then required replacement/rebuild. The first possible sign of the problem was rough automatic shifting of the vehicle. I then noticed a leak of transmission fluid from the front passenger side of the vehicle (which was parked in my driveway). This was followed by a loss of power/drivability.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Sep 182015

I bought the truck and less than a week later I noticed a weird rumbling noise at around 35-50 mph and 1-2 rpms. One time while I was by myself in the mountains scouting for an elk hunting trip, the truck would not go into reverse. This could have been very bad as I was isolated otherwise deep in Utah mountains in the fall. Took the truck in and found it was transmission failure just like everyone else had written about on the internet. Extended warranty replaced transmission for $100. 6 months later, I was still nervous about the issue and before a big trip I did some more research. People with similar problems were pointing at the radiator and warned to check it for transmission oil contamination. Checked it last night and the radiator is full of transmission oil. Truck is currently in the shop.

- Midvale, UT, USA

Mar 272016

I purchased a used 2006 Frontier. The dealer told me they do not check for recalls on non Ford vehicles. After 5 months and five miles, the radiator apparently caused my transmission to fail. When it failed I was making a left turn in front of traffic and lost control of the vehicle and was almost collided into. The Nissan dealership says this is a recall that since the previous owner didn't have it performed, and the dealer didn't do anything that I'm liable for $5500 in repair.

- Woodinville, WA, USA

Mar 292016

Transmission slips and the first gear so rough

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 142016

• 1,325,000 miles
The transmission is shifting hard and I believe I have I have a similar problem that is common for this vehicle. The radiator fluid is foamy and dis-colored which I have found to most likely be tranny fluid getting into my radiator, and coolant getting into my transmission, which the way it looks, means I need to replace my radiator and transmission. I cannot contact the dealership I bought it from to help with repairs because they closed their doors... only had this truck since 2/8/2016

- Bend, OR, USA

Jan 252016

Cross contamination of coolant and transmission fluid due to factory defect in radiator. Began with no heat suddenly in the middle of January. No check engine light to warn of issue. Changed out the thermonstat and noticed the strawberry foamy liquid in the radiator then search 2006 Nissan transmission problems on line. Vehicle also stops and starts very, very, slowly in intersections, on ramps.

- Bailey, CO, USA

Jan 052016

Radiator coolant is leaking into the transmission fluid and causing it to overheat.

- Plainview, TX, USA

Feb 102016

While driving down the highway at 60 mph, my 2006 Nissan Frontier suddenly was running very rough, it decelerated and I only had low gear enough to barely make it off the hwy and out of the way of high speed traffic. No dash/idiot lights came on identifying any problems, there was no warning at all. Truck was towed to Nissan dealership who said the transmission, and radiator, and thermostat all needed to be replaced!! they charged us $5,500. This truck only had 135,000 miles, and was kept in great condition, at time of it's failure. Nissan should be ashamed of making the consumer bear the cost of Nissan's faulty parts!! they are flat out lucky if no one's been injured, or killed due to this failure! had I been on the interstate as planned the very next day, in this truck, I wonder if I'd be here today. There should be no question or hesitation that this "transmission failure" is a safety issue and needs to be a full fledged recall. And we should not have to foot the bill for Nissan's screw-ups with our hard earned money. It is simply wrong.

- Fort White, FL, USA

Jan 132016

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle shifted out of gear independently. The vehicle decelerated and stalled. During the failure, the check engine soon light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the radiator coolant tank leaked fluid onto the transmission. The radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 154,000.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jan 012016

My vehicles contain a defective radiator cooler tank that ruptures and forces coolant into the transmission through the cooler lines. When the coolant mixes with transmission fluid it creates a frothy liquid that eats valves, errodes seals and causes corrosion. It's toxic, irreversible and killed my 5-speed automatic transmission on my Nissan Frontier 2006. Now I have to pay $3,700 for the repair of the transmission. Why Nissan did not repair all the cars? they knew that most of the car will brake pass 100,000 miles. Like mine. Also when you buy a car from the dealer, they do not tel you this problem.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dec 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled in the middle of the highway due to transmission failure. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the coolant system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Oct 152015

Known quality defect of Nissan trucks in which radiator fluid leaks into transmission eventually causing complete failure of transmission and vehicle operation. This failure can happen at anytime and can effect all Nissan trucks made during this timeframe

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 182015

The vehicle has 86,700 miles, I always took care of it, changing oil at 3000 mile intervals, never towed with it, etc., etc., while driving the trans slipped out of gear, luckily I was able to pull over and nobody was in back of me, when I got it to the dealer, they said the timing chain and guides needed replacement plus the radiator leaked and the trans cooler contaminated the transmission and they both had to be replaced and it cost me near $5000 for total repairs.

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA

Nov 162015

The internal portion of the transmission cooler/warmer inside the radiator failed and contaminated the transmission and cause it to fail. A known problem in this vehicle.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Nov 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While performing an oil change with a mechanic, it was noticed that the cooling system was contaminated from the transmission oil. In addition, the cooling system was fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Honolulu, HI, USA