CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

1.9

2006 Nissan Frontier electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments

Feb 252016

Frontier

There is a recall listed for 2006 Nissan Frontiers where the gas gauge drops to 1/4 tank when filled, and the service engine light comes on. "the molded shells can deform, causing the fuel sender float arm to contact an embossment molded into the tank shell causing the instrument panel fuel gauge to show that the vehicle has approximately one quarter tank when the fuel is empty." When I called Nissan North America they looked up my VIN and said it was not from a "batch of cars that are covered". are you kidding? please address this with Nissan...

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jan 142015

Frontier

Gas gauge stops working after half tank is used01.

- Butler, PA, USA

Oct 282014

Frontier 6-cyl

My vehicle shuddered and felt to slip out of gear while driving! because of this known issue of leaking coolant causes transmission failure. I bought this Frontier with very low miles and was never told of this potential issue from the dealership. It should be a safety recall as it prevents the vehicle from accelerating and if you are driving can cause an accident. I am now reading that Nissan owners have no idea this is happening until too late. Once the coolant is mixed with the transmission fluid this lethal combination kills the valves, seals and torque converter -- rendering your entire transmission useless. I read that this issue is currently contained to the 2005?2010 model years. I have a 2006 with 64K miles! it is only time until this issue causes multiple accidents since this issue happens while cars are driving. Please push Nissan for a recall. I should not have to pay for a known engineering / manufacturing defect.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Feb 102014

Frontier 6-cyl

Service engine soon light came on and fuel gauge went to empty. Distance to empty was erratic, however slowly recovered. Filled vehicle with gas even though it was only on 1/4 tank. Service engine soon light continues to stay on and fuel gauge remains on empty. I have seen many posts online with people having the same issues. This is an issue Nissan should remedy due to so many having this problem.

- Perkiomenville, PA, USA

Mar 172013

Frontier 6-cyl

The instrument panel fuel gauge to shows that the vehicle has approximately one quarter tank when the fuel tank is empty. Found out that the fuel level sending unit inside the fuel tank dose not work sometime.when we fill the fuel tank the fuel gauge will drop to empty an shows that we don't have fuel.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Aug 212013

Frontier 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway and notice smoke coming from near (it turns out it was coming from underneath) about few seconds later the check engine light is flashing, my Nissan pickup engine lost some speed and it appears to have lost power as well because it was not accelerating. I took it for inspection to 2 different auto shops locally and have gotten the same reports from both shops.I have a bad transmission and radiator coolant leaks seems to have caused the transmission failure. I have taken my pickup to Nissan after learning about the extended warranty to roseville future Nissan and they seems have agreed about this known issue. They said Nissan has extended the warranty up to 100K miles (so technical it should be covered), however they are asking for 3000K for deductible. I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they said they are waiting for court to decide on this known issue and will not be able to help until it's resolved. I did some research online and found out I was not the only one having this issue. Please help and advise if I need to take action against Nissan as this is clearly a known issue and they should not be asking for 3K. wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/owners-of-Nissan-trucks-and-S-U-V-S-report-transmission-failures/.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

I had driven aprox 20 miles on interstate when I noticed when truck shifted between 4th and overdrive the motor was racing. I turned off cruise control and turned of the overdrive with the trailer switch. I stopped at station checked fluids but everything seemed ok. When leaving station the transmission was slipping when shifting. I was able to drive it home. Next day transmission shop told me transmission would need to be rebuilt. After google info I told shop to also replace radiator also. I got the truck back 2 weeks later. After 5 days of driving while traveling home from job. Transmission locked up and truck came to stop in middle of road. I looked under hood and found oil in radiator. The truck was towed back to shop. Come to find out the shop had replaced with used radiator. The same thing had happened again where antifreeze mixed with transmission oil causing extensive damage, still in shop and waiting on its return. Spent 12000 on truck and in first month. 400 miles and 3000 in repairs. And still climbing.

- Camdenton, MO, USA

Jan 112013

Frontier 6-cyl

Camshaft sensors (cps?) replaced today at dealer. Friday my truck stalled as I pulled into a highway at night. Almost got broadsided by tractor trailor truck. These sensor failures cause a rapid stall under power and hard starting after the stalls. Last month I had the crankshaft sensors replaced as well. Before that the ipdm relay recall gave me problems. I'm still fighting to get my fuel sending unit replaced (Nissan will only cover customers that spend a lot of money at the dealers, I was told this by Nissan!). I've had the rear end, transmission and radiator, driveshaft and propeller shaft replaced due to failed U-joints. Axle seals (on the new rear) are leaking again I understand a clogged vent may be to blame. Tire pressure sensors are shot and catalytic converters shot. Get this company to recall some of this stuff and force them to pay to fix this junk before someone gets killed!

- New Milford, CT, USA

Nov 012012

Frontier 6-cyl

I purchased my truck with about 1900 miles on it. I was a very proud owner, doing everything in my power to keep my truck dependable and reliable by getting all scheduled maintenance plus preventative care. However, one morning I tried starting my truck for work and it wasn't cranking. Unfortunately, I decided to take my truck to a small mechanic shop and I witnessed them start an engine fire that damaged the wire harness. I quickly took my truck out of this mechanics shop and towed it to the Nissan service department. I asked the service advisor to repair the wire harness and to find out why my truck is not cranking. The service advisor explained to me that there was a recall on my vehicle because of a problem of coolant leaking inside the transmission which will damage the computer component causing the truck not to start or crank. The service advisor then continued to tell me that my truck is no longer covered for the repairs because I exceeded the allowed mileage to repair the factory defect and I have to pay for the repairs out of pocket which total more then what the truck is worth. The service advisor also revealed that I should have received a letter with details of the recall, but I never received it because it went to the previous owner. I was confident in purchasing a Nissan truck and invested all of my money toward one hoping this would be my only vehicle purchase for at least 10 years but now I have less than a year of payments left and a vehicle that doesn't run. My only mistake is that I purchase my Nissan with 1900 miles and because of that I never received my warranty or recall information which I feel this problem could have been prevented. I am asking Nissan corporation to stand by their vehicle with me and honor the recall so I can get my reliable truck running properly again.

- Corona , CA, USA

Nov 142012

Frontier 6-cyl

Fuel gauge show empty when it has a full tank.. fuel gauge will slowly get up to full and then won't drop below a quarter of a tank. You have no clue how much gas is in the vehicle. Looks like there are a ton of people complaining about the same thing online. Faulty fuel sending unit looks like the cause.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Nov 212012

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that the fuses located in the ipdm malfunctioned, causing the vehicle to stall while the contact was driving 32 mph. The contact had a mechanic perform a diagnostic test which determined that the fuse box needed to be replaced. The contact did not take the vehicle to the dealer for repairs. The failure mileage was 118,000.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Sep 032012

Frontier

Gas tank gauge level only goes to full 24 hrs after fill up. Probably sending unit and not hole in tank.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Sep 012010

Frontier

2006 Nissan Frontier with fuel gauge not working correctly at approx 55,000 miles on vehicle. Initially service engine soon light came on intermittently when the fuel reached approx 1/4 tank full. Now, ses light stays illuminated and actual gas gauge intermittently works. This is well documented problem addressed many many times on vehicle forums. This is a serious safety issue as I have no idea of how much gas is in my vehicle and the potential exists for an accident on a major road due to a real gas outage. There has been a safety bulletin about this but no recall yet to my understanding and has occurred throughout many different Nissan truck models from the xterra, pathfinder, and Frontier.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Oct 312009

Frontier

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier nismo I have had 3 fuel "sending units" replaced and have only 21000 miles on the truck. This is due to very erratic and somewhat unsafe defective equipment ie; gas gauge/sending unit. I recently had it replaced for the third time and it is now worse than before. I am very frustrated and this seems to be a universal problem with the gas gauge/sending unit. I would like to see a recall and this problem fixed once and for all. Thanks

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jun 132007

Frontier

2006 Frontier xe would not run. Towed to pt. Arthur, tx.Nissan.air sensor, O2 sensor, manifold exhaust, spark plugs, fuel pump, sensor unit replaced. The shop kept the truck for 7 days. Shop told me they did not know what was wrong with it, and to call Nissan to try to get engine replaced. Towed truck to Nissan in bmt.tx.they kept it for 34 days. Replaced ipdm. This repair cost $744.01.

- Groves, TX, USA

Apr 142009

Frontier

My 2006 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4X4 had the fuel gauge quit and the service engine soon light (ses) come on after filling up with fuel around 46,800 miles. The fuel gauge started to work again a few days later but the light will not go off for the ses. This truck has been maintained and serviced above and beyond all manufacturer requirements. I bought this truck in Sept of 2006, so it is not even 3 years old but since the warranty ran out at 36,000 miles I can not go to the dealer because they don't care. I also have had numerous paint issues, fading, chipping and rust on this truck and have, as stated before always taken very good care of it.

- South Williamsport, PA, USA