CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 122014

Frontier

While returning home, the vehicle lost all power and power steering. Difficulty navigating to safety on the side of a busy roadway. The engine in the vehicle had completely seized. Complaints to Nissan that something was wrong with this vehicle had been ongoing. The entire fuel system had failed at 40K miles. Both catalytic converters failed at 55K miles (thought to be related to an engine problem, but they would not fix it even under warranty). At 63K miles, the engine started to show signs of problems. Repeated analysis, for which I paid, resulted in no conclusion. Only that "something was wrong". tried to engage Nissan multiple times to fix this. They refused. Now, the engine has failed entirely. Nissan will not acknowledge defective manufacturing. The vehicle was purchased brand new and has been meticulously maintained. The engine failure and the resulting loss of the ability to maneuver or operate the vehicle was, thankfully, on a road that had a low speed limit. Subsequent research related to this issue shows that there is a class action against Nissan for premature engine failures in these vehicles, and that they allegedly hid known issues and were deceptive to consumers.

- Boise, ID, USA

Mar 212014

Frontier 6-cyl

We bought this Nissan new in 2006 -great little truck. But recently the engine would stall and all the lights on the dash came on. Took it to our mechanic he said it was a tran code took it to the Nissan dealership and they said the coolant had gotten into the trans or vise versa (a lot to take in),so I needed a new transmission and radiator. I found this issue on your website for a recall but my vehicle was within the years of the recall but it has over 100,000 it has130 so the dealership said there was nothing they could do to help with the $5500 bill they just quoted me. Is there any help out there for me on this issue"?" please.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 032012

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that on multiple occasions, the fuel level indicator would register the fuel tank as empty when it was full. The service engine light was illuminated intermittently when the vehicle was driven with the fuel tank full. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 10V517000 (engine and engine cooling) and had experienced the failure recurringly however, the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 092014

Frontier

Cross contamination of the engine coolant and transmission fluid causing a transmission failure.

- Wellsville, PA, USA

Nov 202013

Frontier 6-cyl

Driving going 50 trunk shut off, luckily I was able to get off the highway.it happened around 10 more times over a month before it just quit.not having high mileage on the truck now or at the time of receiving a warranty notification back in 2012 never thought of it.so we had it towed to put on a fuel pump that it did not need $400 still will not start.I started looking up reviews on Nissan to find out that Nissan has known about this in 2007.I still owe $3600 on this truck, bought it new with 24 miles on a lease... loved it...so after my lease was up I refinanced 2010 with 41501 miles bought a 3 yr extended warranty, never used it.now after learning about a co - pay for a truck really Nissan...my truck has 81000 miles..I don't have $2500 to put in it.time for Nissan to recall it, and face it you have a problem Nissan.please I need help.

- Grafton, WV, USA

Nov 132013

Frontier 6-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Frontier has automatic transmission fluid in the radiator, and radiator coolant in the automatic transmission. The transmission is now shifting improperly.

- Monroe, WA, USA

Sep 012013

Frontier 6-cyl

At low speeds the transmission stutters / hesitates. I've been told by Nissan that I need a new valve body. I believe my vehicle suffers from the radiator / transmission issues as experienced by many other customers.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 092013

Frontier 6-cyl

Vehicle began to shift upward and downward erratically at various speeds and RPM. It would also shake and shudder like the whole vehicle was on a rocky road -- everything vibrating from the frame to the steering wheel. Very sudden, alarming, and disconcerting.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 202013

Frontier

The vehicle struggle to accelerate when pressing on the accelerator.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Frontier 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier and for the last 9 or 10 months it becomes "herky-jerky" at various speeds. I only drive this vehicle in the winter so yesterday I took it in to the dealership and today they informed me the coolant had leaked into the transmission. The dealership informed me the cost for the repair is $6500. I asked them if this was something normal and they said it was unusual. I did some checking on the internet and found out there was a settlement agreement regarding this defect. Other sites directed me to make a complaint with you because this appears to be a widespread problem and due to the fact the settlement agreement was essentially worthless. Given this I am filing this complaint with you in hopes this will turn into a recall. Also, made a claim today with Nissan and expecting a case worker to call back tomorrow. If they do not agree to pay for the cost of the damage I will take them to small claims. Of note, I have only sued one entity before in my life (49yo) and it was Nissan back in 1997 and I won. It was a defect in the wiring of my previous Frontier. I can say Nissan likes to play hard ball and not settle or admit to any of their faults. I gave them more than sufficient evidence and was very patient in this prior claim, but they kept denying. I learned my lesson that time and this time I will not be so patient and will inform them I will taken more expeditiously this time.

- Cumming, IA, USA

Sep 092013

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while attempting to shift into reverse, the vehicle failed to respond without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was advised that the radiator fluid was leaking into the transmission. As a result, the radiator and the power transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 106,000. The VIN was not available.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Aug 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 crew cab with 143396 miles and going about 40-45 miles per hrs I hear a chatter in the rear of the truck. Made an appointment with a Nissan dealer in my area and the out come was.. the truck needs a transmission and radiator replacement and it is out of warranty the replacement at the dealer would be a cost to me of $5132.13. Nissan had a class action suite in New York and the only win for us consumers was that they extended the mileage to 100,000. I called Nissan and was informed that if I had 120,000 miles on the truck that there would be a cover under the warranty. Nissan knows that there is a issue with tranny and radiator but they did no recalls so now we are stuck. If you are on a fixed income who has over $5000 dollars laying a round for this kind of repair. I can still drive the truck but its not safe if the tranny shuts down on the hwy then what ? looks like a accident waiting to happen. Cant have that. So the truck will sit in my yard till I get some answers that will help me get this issue solved.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Aug 032013

Frontier 6-cyl

As I began to enter the highway and increase speed to about 65 mph, I noticed what felt to be a slip in gears. Each time I decreased by speed and increased over 50 mph, I could feel the same type of slip. Although I drive my vehicle daily, it is usually for very short distances, as I am in town driving. I have only noticed this slip of gears while on the interstate. Today I took my vehicle to the Nissan dealership for diagnosis. I was informed that I was no longer under warranty and would have a $2500 deductible for the replacement of the radiator & transmission. My vehicle is properly maintained at recommended intervals, with low mileage. I came home to do some research and learned about the reported radiator/transmission problems for some 2005-2010 Nissan truck and SUV models. I do not remember ever receiving any information from Nissan regarding the potential transmission failure for my make and model and I am disappointed to know that a recall was not issued, as this is a serious safety issue. The service manager also did not mention any of this to me. The only thing that clued me in to an issue was that he mentioned "deductible" and that I was just about 3,000 miles over the warranty. Knowing that a power-train warranty is usually 36/36000, I started thinking, how could I only be 3,000 miles outside of the warranty? Nissan should be held accountable as numerous reports have been made. Extending a warranty to 8/80,000 is also a joke, since most of the reported issues, have not occurred until after 80,000, as in my case. I should not be stuck with this maintenance bill; this is Nissan's responsibility. Sometimes doing the right thing as opposed to doing the most profitable is in order. Too bad Nissan does not care enough to keep their customers satisfied, but most importantly, safe!

- Greenville, SC, USA

Jul 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

I had driven aprox 20 miles on interstate when I noticed when truck shifted between 4th and overdrive the motor was racing. I turned off cruise control and turned of the overdrive with the trailer switch. I stopped at station checked fluids but everything seemed ok. When leaving station the transmission was slipping when shifting. I was able to drive it home. Next day transmission shop told me transmission would need to be rebuilt. After google info I told shop to also replace radiator also. I got the truck back 2 weeks later. After 5 days of driving while traveling home from job. Transmission locked up and truck came to stop in middle of road. I looked under hood and found oil in radiator. The truck was towed back to shop. Come to find out the shop had replaced with used radiator. The same thing had happened again where antifreeze mixed with transmission oil causing extensive damage, still in shop and waiting on its return. Spent 12000 on truck and in first month. 400 miles and 3000 in repairs. And still climbing.

- Camdenton, MO, USA

Jul 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

Whilst trying to drive forward, the vehicle is unable to have enough momentum to drive- in other words the transmission is not functioning correctly. According to the mechanic I brought it to, I was advised that he has seen this happen with this make/model/year before and it is caused due to an issue with the radiator leaking anti-freeze into the transmission system.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

May 172013

Frontier 6-cyl

The transmission stopped and my vehicle would not go faster than 2 mph. I could not get it uphill. I had to have it towed. It was constantly jumping forward prior to this incident. On the highway it felt like it couldn't get out of gear.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Sep 132012

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 87,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vista, CA, USA

Apr 082013

Frontier 6-cyl

When driving, a "rumbling" noise would come and go and a "whining" noise while accelerating. The rumbling noise was not consistent but would sound like a was driving on the side of the round. It would usually appear around 40-60 mph when I would let off the gas and "coast" and try to press the gas again. I did not know there was a "warranty extension". I was not notified. Took the truck into the shop only to find out my transmission was going out due to the fact I have radiator coolant (antifreeze) in my transmission fluid; (over a gallon) cause by a factory defect. Something to do with a transmission piece going through the radiator and leaking. Mileage for my truck is right at 99,800. Barely made the 100,000 miles 3000 dollar so-called Nissan warranty extension..

- Lexington, KY, USA

Mar 292013

Frontier

Transmission failed completely while my daughter was driving leaving her stranded in a busy intersection. Vehicle was towed. Transmission was found to have radiator fluid in it as well as transmission fluid in the cooling system. After investigating this issue on the internet it is obvious that Nissan has been aware of the issue with faulty radiators for a long time. (when I was still under my extended warranty.) had Nissan informed owners this could have resolved with a radiator change that I would have gladly done at my expense. Now I'm looking at over $4000 in repair costs. Shame on Nissan!

- Mather, CA, USA

Dec 242012

Frontier

On my 2006 Nissan Frontier my radiator coolant mixed in with my transmission oil and it caused my tranny to blow out and also for my timing belt to get messed up and so I had to replace my tranny and radiator and timing belts at a total of over 4 thousand dollars. I really think Nissan should make this a recall regardless of your mileage because if they don't hundreds and thousand of people will stop buying Nissan. Please inform me of anything with the investigation with Nissan.

- San Diego, CA, USA