CarComplaints.com Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2.4

2006 Nissan Frontier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Dec 202011

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that the vehicle began to run out fuel, even though the fuel gauge displayed a reading indicating that fuel was present in the fuel tank. The failure occurred while driving 65 mph and the check engine light also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the contact was informed that the fuel sending unit needed to be replaced. An authorized dealer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:auxillary tank). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Orange Cove, CA, USA

Oct 182011

Frontier 6-cyl

I purchased the vehicle in 2007 with 40,000 miles on it. It has been shimmying on the highway since I hit 60,000 miles and in spite of having my tires re-aligned and balanced, it still continues to rock back and forth at speeds over 50 miles an hour. I just hit my 100,000 mile mark on the first of October. On October 18th, I was at my son's daycare and the truck started idling strangely. The truck was puttering and exhausting black smoke. It died in the parking lot and I tried numerous times to get it started. It took about 20 minutes of trying but I got it running again, only to have it die on me in traffic. Once again, I got it started and managed to get it home where it completely died. When I was able to get it to the dealership (after a local mechanic looked at it and couldn't get it started) the dealership told me I had an engine idle air control sensor that was recalled by Nissan. I never received the recall notice but was relieved that my bill was covered. Less than a week after the sensor had been replaced, the check engine light came on. I brought it back to the dealership and they told me my catalytic converters had burned out. From what I have been able to research online, the failure of my catalytic converters is directly related to an out of tune engine (too much air or fuel) which was caused by the sensor being defective. Nissan doesn't see it that way and now I'm stuck with a $3500 repair bill on a truck I still owe money on and have owned for less than four years.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Oct 162011

Frontier 6-cyl

My truck suffers from 2 known problems that has been widely reported and are involved in two Nissan tsbs. I have the faulty fuel sending unit and the whining timing belt tensioner. I am not getting any help from Nissan and just get a flat 'your warranty has expired' statement from them. I feel that they should fix these problems or at least offer a very reduced rate for the repair.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Jan 282011

Frontier

Fuel gauge not accurate/not working properly.

- Lewiston, ID, USA

Frontier 4-cyl

After filling gas tank it drops to empty and service engine light comes on. After 43 miles it goes back up and then seems to work until next fill up. If idling in park for a few minutes it drops to empty again. Then the next day it goes back up again. It is a constant problem and I never know how much gas I have other than tracking mileage. Recall many others with same problem. Thanks.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Jul 182011

Frontier 4-cyl

Fuel gauge on 2006 Nissan Frontier indicated 1/4 tank of fuel when it was actually empty. I ran out of gas on a busy highway, very dangerous exit to side of road.

- Natchez, MS, USA

Nov 282010

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated after dispensing fuel into the vehicle, the fuel gauge would register that the vehicle was empty. The check engine warning indicator illuminated whenever the vehicle was on it remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. NHTSA campaign recall id number 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline: Storage: Auxiliary tank) was associated with the failure. The VIN was not included in the recall; although, the vehicle experienced the similar failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect and provided no assistance. The contact stated that the vehicle will be repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- San Benito, TX, USA

Apr 152011

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that approximately one day after refueling the vehicle, the fuel gauge began displaying a reading of empty. The check engine light also began illuminating on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed the fuel level sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed it was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:auxillary tank). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Dec 042010

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that the fuel gauge failed and would not display an accurate reading of fuel levels. The dealer was contacted and advised that there were no recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised that they were unable to assist because the vehicle was outside of warranty. The failure mileage was 109,000.

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Apr 012011

Frontier

Fill with gas and gauge reads empty. Don't know how much gas I have. Also, engine light is on.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Mar 182011

Frontier 6-cyl

Fuel gauge inop. Service engine soon light on.

- Redlands, CA, USA

Dec 102010

Frontier

TL. the contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated the fuel sender float arm to contact an embossment molded into the tank shell causing the instrument panel fuel gauge to show that the vehicle has approximately one quarter tank when the fuel tank is empty. The contact notice recall 10V075000 (fuel system gasoline:storage:auxillary tank) but due to the VIN number the vehicle did not fall into the recall. The contact stated the manufacture should extend the recall since this is a major safety issue. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact noticed that the fuel gauge displayed an empty reading with a full consumption of fuel in the tank. The fuel gauge reading fluctuated whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and was repaired three times under recall number 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline: Storage: Auxiliary tank). The remedy did not correct the problem and the failure continued. The failure mileage was approximately 73,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Southwick, MA, USA

Jan 092011

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that after filling up the fuel tank, the fuel gauge would indicate an inaccurate amount of fuel that was truly in the tank; it would show that the tank was empty. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who advised him that the fuel sender was the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Stanford, NC, USA

Jan 212006

Frontier

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. The contact stated that after receiving a recall notice in reference to NHTSA campaign id number (10V075000-fuel system, gasoline:storage:auxiliary tank). The vehicle was taken into the dealer to be repaired; however, immediately after leaving the dealer the failure recurred. He also stated that the tire pressure sensor gauge had malfunctioned since the day that the vehicle was purchased. The warning light illuminated on the instrumental panel. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who informed the contact that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The transmission also failed when the vehicle staled and he was unable to get it restarted. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who replaced the transmission. The failure mileage was approximately 47,000.

- Goshen, OH, USA

Jun 152009

Frontier 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Frontier. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact noticed that the fuel gauge registered an inaccurate reading at any fuel level in the fuel tank. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuel tank sending unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. Updated 04/05/11 updated 04/05/11

- Oakley, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Frontier

The fuel gauge gets stuck on 1/4 tank or shows no gas even when full. There is a recall on this year model for this problem but Nissan will not replace it because they say it was manufactured in the correct month. They did say the problem was more vehicles then the recall covered and for those vehicles they extended the warranty to 72 months or 72,000 miles so the dealership could fix it. Seeing as my vehicle has 90,000 miles they said they have no intentions of fixing this problem under the recall.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Frontier

Fuel gauge failure on 2006 Nissan Frontier 4door pickup truck. I called several Nissan dealerships and all of them told me it was the fuel sending unit without ever seeing the truck! after doing some online research it seems this is a common problem on this vehicle, I feel this is a safety hazard as someone could run out of fuel on a busy road and be hit from behind and or wreck trying to maneuver the vehicle from the roadway. (as almost happened to me).

- Bunkie, LA, USA

Frontier 6-cyl

This is a complaint about the same problem I'm having with my 2006 Nissan Frontier. I called Nissan and mentioned the recall notice for this and they would not guarantee that it would be covered. At this point the only way I can be sure that my vehicle has gas in it is to track the miles every time I fill up the fuel tank. The fuel gauge is useless and if I fill it up it immediately says it is empty, the yellow light comes on and my check engine light comes on. Even the Nissan recall notice says this is a safety issue but when I called them they said I "might" not be covered..... 2006 Nissan Frontier with fuel gauge not working correctly at approx 80,000 miles on vehicle. Initially service engine soon light came on intermittently when the fuel reached approx 1/4 tank full. Now, ses light stays illuminated and actual gas gauge intermittently works. This is well documented problem addressed many many times on vehicle forums. This is a serious safety issue as I have no idea of how much gas is in my vehicle and the potential exists for an accident on a major road due to a real gas outage. There has been a safety bulletin about this but no recall yet to my understanding and has occurred throughout many different Nissan truck models from the xterra, pathfinder, and Frontier.

- San Benito, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Frontier

My Frontier is experiencing a fuel gauge and/or a fuel sending unit failure. The gauge will read empty when there is fuel and in turn will indicate there is fuel when it is running out. I have run out of fuel on at least 3 occasions one of which was quite dangerous at highway speeds. I contacted Nissan and they offered to pay half of the costs (which they say were unknown) to repair this. I believe this failure falls under NHTSA campaign id number 10V075000 and is a safety recall. Thus Nissan should be held fully accountable to repair the vehicle of a known safety problem. The above failure date and mileage are approximate.

- Beaumont , CA, USA