Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Radiators are still cracking, leaking coolant and destroying transmissions. Which is a shame when you consider that otherwise, this would be a great small pickup truck.

2006 Nissan Frontier fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

May 122008

One day without warning check engine light came on and fuel level gauge became incorrect and erratic. This happened at approx 38000 mile just out of warranty. I have ran out of gas in traffic because my fuel gauge was reading 1/4 tank and there was none. Having to fill my vehicle in traffic is a major safety concern.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Feb 052009

2006 Nissan Frontier fuel sensor has issues at 39,000 miles. Failure after fuel up.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 212009

2006 Nissan Frontier king cab fuel gauge sensor malfunction, 47 kmiles on truck reported 600 dollar repair at dealer, internet search, very common Nissan needs to recall and repair, fault is corrosion on fuel tank electrical connection.

- Henryville, IN, USA

Nov 142008

The fuel sending unit on the truck failed at about 38K miles. The gage is slow to respond to a fill-up 30-60 minutes to register full. It functions normally until around half a tank, then the needle drops to E and the empty tank light comes on. After refueling the truck several times it was still half full of fuel. The check engine light has been on since the start of the problem. Online boards have indicated that this is a common problem on this truck. A code scanner at a parts store also said that it was a problem with the fuel level sending unit. I will probably replace the part myself.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 172008

Went out one morning to go to work and the fuel gauge read E. re-started the truck and the gauge went to 3/4 tank. Drove to work and back, went shopping, than re-fueled and the gauge was on E again. The service engine light also came on at this time. Called dealership and they said there was no recalls on it and that my warranty was expired, took the truck to a mechanic who cleaned a part near the tank and cleared out the codes. It worked for about a week. Drove the truck that week and re-fueled. Gas gauge stayed on E with the service engine back on. Called dealer and the cost is around $700. Waiting for the price from my mechanic.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Dec 072008

2006 Nissan Frontier pickup - gas gauge is sluggish to move upward after a fillup. Takes several days to register accurate tank level. Also, check engine light intermittently comes on. Occasionally drops to empty and empty tank indicator light comes on and then gradually moves to correct level. Have had in shop several times without success. Vehicle has less than 50K miles on it.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 202008

After refueling, fuel gauge reads empty and service engine soon light comes on. Code can be reset, but issue recurs upon next fill-up.

- Strathroy, 00, USA

Oct 042008

Fuel level indicator will not respond after fill up. Then the check engine light came on. Code registered is P0463. Indicates fuel level indicator defective.

- Davie, FL, USA

Sep 012008

I own a 2006 Nissan Frontier, it was delivered with only half the keys programmed for the vehicle, a strange rattling of plastic shrouding in the engine compartment and as I found out a fast set of tires later, the front end out of alignment [ too much toe in ]. when I read the manual I found out that my 4WD vehicle was "not intended to be used off of the road", this was not in any of the presales literature and the reason I buy 4WD is so I can use it off road. At 100 miles after warranty I had to take it in because the fuel sending unit had failed, about a $600 repair on a part that should last 200,000 miles. The mechanic told me their dealership is replacing about one of these a week on a couple of models. When I picked it up I got the trouble light on the way home, I scanned it to see what the problem was [code PO448 ]. I took it back. The first canister they ordered showed up broken [ kind of fragile for something mounted on the bottom of a 4WD ]. parts replaced under the emissions warranty were 14953zp50C filter-canister, 14950-ea20A canister assy. E, and 14935-am60B valve assy.-co. The service order says "...inspected/found no flow very rusty....". as the vehicle only has 36,000 miles on it this does not bode well for the future.

- Felton, CA, USA

Sep 082008

My fuel gauge does not work all the time on my 2006 Nissan Frontier 4X4 crew cab nismo. I live in South Dakota and my wife and 3 year old daughter drive and ride in this vehicle, with the winter months coming and how dangerously cold it gets in South Dakota, this could be a life threatening problem. Not to mention if the truck stalled on the road it could cause an accident. My truck has approx. 46,000 miles on it.

- Volga, SD, USA

Jun 012008

The fuel gauge on my 2006 Nissan Frontier crew cab le 4X4 is malfunctioning and fails to give accurate measurements of the amount of fuel present. I have done research on the internet and found many more Frontier owners who are experiencing the same problem.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Sep 122007

2005 Nissan Frontier - gas gauge was not working, and not showing that I had gas in my tank. Then it began giving me problems, misfiring while driving and "service engine soon" light appears. I took it to a Nissan dealership who told me that the fuel level sensor a circuit high input needed replacing. Since I was not under warranty, I had to replace fuel sending unit. My job at the time, required me to drive alot, though the car was barely two years old. I had over 30,000 miles. Still, the problem cost me over $800!!!! and in all respects, it was a problem with a defective part - not because I drive it. I am sorry I ever bought this vehicle - I should have bought a Honda element (my wife's car) she has never had a mechanical problem in the four years she has had the car. Nissan makes a trash pickup. Disgruntled and frustrated over Nissan's incapability to produce a better vehicle, and replace faulty parts. They obviously need the money!

- Chester, VA, USA