9.2

$5,099.00

1. replace or rebuild transmission (18 reports)
  3. replace radiator (1 reports)
  4. replace transmission and radiator (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Frontier transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Frontier:

2006 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 162013

Frontier Nismo 4.0L V6

My check engine light turned on. Nissan said it was due to radiator fluid in the transmission caused by a crack in the radiator. This crack developed because Nissan used a radiator fluid that was corrosive thereby creating the problem. Nissan quoted me $6500 to replace my transmission and radiator. So I am supposed to pay Nissan $7000 out of my pocket for a transmission failure caused by them because of a faulty design? Thanks Nissan

- , toano, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Frontier Nismo V6 4L

My truck was barely 1000 miles over the drive train warranty when the radiator failed and leaked fluid into the transmission which in turn blew it up. Of course Nissan wouldn't warranty it because it was over the miles by like 600. What a crock of sh*t 600 miles come on stand by your vehicles had Ammco fix it $3500 for the trans rebuild and radiator. Just 1 of the problems with the truck, will post the other big ticket repairs on other posts. I will NEVER buy a Nissan again!

- , Englewood, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Frontier

After taking excellent care of my Nissan Frontier Truck, I'm talking oil changes, engines flushes, transmission flush, I am driving on the freeway to work when suddenly my truck seems to loose power, almost as if it shifted to neutral. I panicked but managed to cross THREE busy freeway lanes and pull over. I had to call work , letting them know I'd be late.

After about 2 hours waiting for a tow, I sent the truck to a transmission shop where I find out that this "issue" with the transmission is VERY well known and documented. A crack in the radiator causes the coolant to get into the transmission, causing all sorts of problems. I could not believe that Nissan knew about these issues and has not done a thing to fix it. I am so upset that I am going to have to dish out over $4,000 to repair a vehicle that is supposedly well made. This is a HUGE safety issue.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 302013

Frontier SE 4x4 4.0L V6

I will start off my comment with Get a rid of your truck or add the external cooler ASAP!

My transmission didn’t show any signs of failure. I brought the vehicle in because of a high pitched whirling sound that ended up being the timing chain (evidently a common problem with this engine). I mentioned to the service advisor about the radiator transmission cooling issue I was notified about and they advised me to put on the external cooler to eliminate the potential of a transmission failure. I had the timing chain/s replaced and the cooler added. The dealer said the fluid looked good when they checked it during the external cooler installation so I figured I didn’t have any coolant leaking into the transmission and everything was good to go.

The truck ran great for two weeks then the transmission failed on my way into work. While in drive the engine would rev as in neutral. After shutting the vehicle off and restarting it 4 times I was able to drive it a mile to work. I had it towed to the dealership and they told me a line was leaking (bad clamp) and I was about a quart low on transmission fluid…they felt that the low fluid (again about 1qt.) shouldn’t have caused my problems. They replaced the clamp & topped off the fluid. During their test drive the something broke inside the transmission and now it’s finished. No electronic codes showed up so it appears that something internally went on the transmission. Now I have to replace the transmission because they didn’t do anything wrong…..coincidental? I was pro-active and had them add the external cooler & the transmission still failed. Now I am stuck.

- , Summit Hill, PA, USA

May 222013

Frontier ES V6

I had Transmisson failure and was told by mechanic that water had entered transmisson from radiator and that it will need complete rebuild and radiator replaced. Which I was informed it was going to cost $4,764.00 for rebuild. Did not believe how water was able to enter transmisson in this so called Nissan repair shop and yes transmisson line on inside radiator had gotten hole in it and filled transmisson full of water. I was informed that this has been on going problem with this year and model. If this is true why has Nissan not doing anything about it? For this reason I will never buy Nissan again.

I feel Nissan should reiumburse all customers for there cost of repairs and replacement of this transmisson. Nissan are supposed to be one of the best vehicals on the road, I have to say this not true anymore.

- , Sherman, Texas, USA

Apr 172013

Frontier LE V6

The truck needs the radiator and transmission replaced. Being the the truck has over 100,000 miles Nissan offers no help at all. Nice of them to tell owners of the problem after 7 years of ownership.

- , Campbell Hall, New York, USA

Apr 162013

Frontier

Nissan just said to my mom the problem only occur in us and she is poor.

is there a solution to get some help she have to pay the pick up how is broke for 7000$ and buy a car.

is there somewhere to go in Canada to be repair freely by Nissan.

they are some as-%$/"/$$/$.

- , Chicoutimi, QUÉBEC, canada

Mar 222013

Frontier 4.0L

Transmission failed due to coolant line rupture in radiator.

- , Mather, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Frontier Nismo 4.0L

I bought a 2006 Nissan Frontier in 2007. This March 2013 the trans was shifting hard from first to second so i took it to a transmission place and he told me it would cost $ 2200 to rebuild it. Later that day he calls back and tells me that radiator has leaked into the transmission and he had to replace all the electrical in there and the radiator too which means price now is 4258.80. I bought the Auto Guard extended service plan with that my cost was $1380 because they do not cover electrical parts and then the transmission place tells me to get a rental like a fool i did thinking they would reimburse me, kept it for a week and 3 days and that cost me another $500 and come to find out the auto guard is only paying me $120 toward the $500. Then i get on here to read all the other complaints and realize i better do more research on the next truck i buy, like everybody else I thought Nissan was a good name brand to buy.Now that i vented i feel a little better but it still hurts in the pocket book.REPLACE MY MONEY NISSAN FOR THIS FACTORY DEFECT and now i see it not just me.

- , Horn Lake, MS, USA

Jan 012013

Frontier SE V6

First off, my radiator/transmission has not failed yet. Extended warranty coverage has been offered by Nissan with significant co-pays, $3,000 in my case if the radiator/transmission cooler fails and ruins the transmission due to coolant contaminating transmission fluid destroying the transmission. Nissan will not do anything unless there is a complete failure. Even then, there is no assurance from Nissan that the replacement radiator is free of the same defect. This is exactly what happened with the recall on the gas tank/gauge sending unit. I paid for the repair, then there was a recall of the part, so I was reimbursed. They mandated the sending unit be replaced again if I was to get reimbursed. Consequently two ADDITIONAL SENDING UNITS HAD TO BE REPLACED BECAUSE THEY NEVER FIXED THE DESIGN. Why was prematurely running out of gas deemed a safety issue and warranted recall and a catastrophic transmission failure not considered a safety issue? Meanwhile, my wife refuses to drive the truck because she's afraid the transmission will go out on the freeway, possibly causing an accident and injury. Why would Nissan go through all this grief? Why don't the just fix the design of the radiator and offer the customer a viable solution to the problem, instead of a $3,000 fix if it fails or someone gets killed or injured?

Thanks for listening!!!

- , Upland, CA, USA

Jan 152013

Frontier SE V6

I purchased a 06 Nissan Frontier a little over a year ago. I thought Nissan was a good quality car. I was SO wrong. I got a letter in the mail about a Class Action Lawsuit due to a defect in the radiator that causes antifreeze to mix with the transmission fluid. I immediately went out and checked my Frontier. Sure enough there was a frothy substance on the radiator cap. A sure sign of cross contamination. I got it in to the dealership asap hoping that if I replace the radiator and flush the transmission it might fix the problem. The dealership told me that it would stop further damage but it was too late. I asked how much a new transmission cost and was told $6000+ OUCH! I called around to transmission shops and they said the same thing $6000 to rebuild. I guess there is a computer in the transmission that makes it difficult to rebuild. Now I am stuck with a truck I owe $11,000. Its worth $12,000 and I have to put $7000+ in repairs. Nissan knew about this problem and should have recalled it. They do not stand behind their vehicles. I could see maybe if it cost a $2000 but $7000 is outrageous. I can only hope my family doesn't get killed driving it. I am a single mother of two small boys I don't have the money to repair the transmission. Its a ticking time bomb, Nissan is a horrible company. You are better off with a Hyundai.

- , Granville, NY, USA

Jan 042013

Frontier Nismo V6

The sad thing is that this was my dream truck! 06 Nissan Frontier Nismo Off Road package in yellow with black trim! Absolutely my dream truck - the first "me" vehicle I have ever been able to buy after the kids were raised. I flew from Boise to Dallas to buy it, and drove it home. It was everything I wanted: great style - excellent power.

That is until it reached 104,000 miles. Then the coolant line ruptured and ruined the tranny. After searching online I found out that this is a common problem and that Nissan has done nothing about it. The "extended warranty" they have offered isn't a warranty at all - just a co-pay where the customer is held liable for their shoddy workmanship. I have a beautiful truck that is either going to sit in my driveway or cost me $7,000 - $10,000.

I thought I was buying top-of-the-line when I purchased my Nissan. I was sadly mistaken. One thing is for sure: I will never again buy a Nissan product as long as I live.

- , Nampa, Idaho, USA

Sep 132012

Frontier SE/LE/Nismo

In May of 2012 the radiator failed on this truck and we had it replaced at the cost of $1000.00. My son drove this truck for three months after the radiator repair and then the transmission failed. We had it towed to Giles Nissan of Lafayette and were told that the repair cost was going to be $7,300.00. We did some research and called about six or seven transmission shops in town and found one that could do the repairs for $4,500.00. So we had the truck towed to a new shop. The shop owner is very familiar with the “defect” and knows exactly what to do to repair it. However one of the parts needed MUST be ordered from Nissan. So he ordered it, we waited two weeks when it came in it was damaged and couldn’t be used. So the owner of the shop called Nissan and reported the damaged part and was told that a new one would be sent out and when he received the new one to return the damaged one and that we should receive the new one in seven to ten days. That conversation was on 10/3/2012. Last week (10/17/2012) he called to check on the part because he hasn’t received it yet and was told they are on backorder now and they can’t give him a ship date. He was told that there are 27 on backorder and in that list we are number 10 that it could be seven to ten days or it could be a month. I don’t fault the shop owner he has been very nice and communicates with us regularly to let us know whether he has heard anything or not. I blame NISSAN! I want to know if there is anything I can do to speed up the process, threaten a lawsuit? Call and complain myself? Drive to Memphis and demand the part? What?

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 012012

Frontier SE V6

Same as everyone else. Radiator failed and tranmission fluid leaked into radiator causing tranny to fail.

Extremely dissatisfied with Nissan so far. I would have gladly replaced or rerouted lines on tranny cooler to avoid this problem if they would have been proactive. I will seek a fix from Nissan.

- , Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Jun 152012

Frontier 4.0L V6

I bought my 06 Nissan used. Nissan was suppose a very reliable and trust worthy vehicle to own so I felt safe and and that I made a good decision in purchasing such a well made vehicle a vehicle that was built to last! well it lasted about a year yea for me! the problem actually just after we bought it occasionally at a take off it felt like the rear end would sputter as if it were slipping but when you let off for a second and resume accelerating it was fine I took it to the dealer where I bought it and had it looked at they couldn't find anything (now I;m being told that was the beginning of the trans problem not the rear end) it got worse and was clearly the trans a few times I had no reverse and then I did if I put it in park shut off the truck re start it put it in drive it works great as if no problem but then a stoplight or two or three you take off and it takes off what feels like 2nd now I have learned of the RADIATOR problem! and that shutting off and re starting is most likely just resetting the brain and the 2nd gear thing could possibly be a safety mode thing but the thing that pisses me off the most is that the all mighty Nissan doesn't seem to give a crap about your high mileage truck because they got your money for your pile of Nissan well buying a Nissan doesn't feel so much of an investment in a well made vehicle as first thought I even bought a (don't laugh ) used transmission at the suggestion of at least 5 mechanic's ,now not sure why, spent $1,100. bucks had it installed (more money) drove it two blocks and yea for me it does the same thing as the other one I know that it was bad because I put an external trans cooler (bypassing the radiator) before having the used one installed because I found out about the radiator problem that Nissan chooses to ignore boy did I hit the jackpot I got stuck with two transmissions and still can't drive my truck oh and don't forget the $150.00 I spent on Nissan only trans fluid I was told I had to put in it is that even true? or more smoke for my rear end to intake well I am taking my truck to the place I bought the trans I'm told they will look at it so pray for me and pray for Nissan to grab some sack and own up to the problem "whew" I feel better thanks for lettin' me vent now can I please have my truck fixed cause it is a lot easier to pay for a truck you can drive than to pay for it to be a driveway ornament

- , Mira Loma, CA, USA

Apr 092012

Frontier SE

Nissan would not do the right thing and help with the cost of fixing my 2006 frontier that was in excellent condition except that there is a DEFECT in the radiator that Nissan knew about and did nothing to warn me! This DEFECT cause a rupture in the radiator that allowed coolant to "CO-MINGLE" with my transmission fluid!!! Water in Transmission =TROUBLE! I was unemployed but my truck was paid for and I expected to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it! Instead I was forced to sell for less than half it's value!!!!! If I had known about the DEFECT I could have afforded to replace the radiator or bypassed the transmission cooling and would still have my truck today! I talked and emailed Nissan and got nowhere!

- , Conway, Arkansas, USA

Feb 162012

Frontier SE V6

I have an 06 nissan frontier SE. I parked it one day and the next day it would not start. It would not even crank. Has it towed to dealer and they have advised my radiator fluid leaked into transmission and caused my tcm to short. The cost to replace the transmission and radiator is $8935 + $110 for intial inspection + $165 for pin test and this is just the start and they cannot even gaurantee this is the only problem. I have had problem after problem with this truck. I have alwys owned nissan and now will never buy another one.

- , Chino, CA, USA

Oct 012011

Frontier Nismo V6

In 2006 purchased a new Frontier Nismo two wheel drive. Only minor problems until 85000 miles that's when the transmission started giving me problems shifting hard, shuttering and shifting sooner than it should. Opened a file with Nissan North America. Dumped me like a rock. Even though vehicle is out of warranty it should get more than 85000 mile before transmission needs replacing. We both purchased new 2006 Nissan vehicles and have supported Nissan for four years. Good to know that Nissan stands behind their products.

- , Deatsville, AL, USA

Apr 182011

Frontier SE 4.0L V6

This is incredible. What a design flaw to allow the radiator fluid to leak into the transmission fluid. Nissan knows about this issue and is unwilling to help out.

- , Cecil, PA, USA

Jan 292011

Frontier LE 4.0L V6

Sometime in November 2010 we got the Nissan notice of warranty extension due to problem where transmission fluid mixes in with radiator fluid. When transmission failed this weekend, we assumed that was the issue. Paid $75 to independent mechanic to inspect it, and they verified that was the cause of the failure. Called Nissan customer support. They said we had to have it inspected by Nissan. Paid $55 to tow it to dealer, who called us back & said it's not caused by that problem...it just a burned out transmission. Who to believe?? Talked to my brother (30 years experience as a mechanic), who said the transmission fluid would be pink (like a strawberry milkshake) if radiator fluid had mixed with the trans fluid. Wish we had checked it before having it towed!

Now Nissan is saying $4000 for a new transmission "why would you want a rebuilt one? ...the new ones don't have the problem that the old ones had". (Can you spell 'CLASS ACTION'??) The $4000 is apparently after a 10% discount. Called other independent places, and quotes ranged from $2600 to rebuild the transmission that we have, to $4495 to install a rebuilt one. All quotes offered 12mo/12K mile warranty.

We've purchased 8 new vehicles over our lifetimes, and never have had a transmission fail. This Frontier has been maintained FAITHFULLY, and majority of the miles are on the highway. We haven't even had this truck a full 5 years yet. Shouldn't a vehicle last as long as a washing machine?

- , Redmond, OR, USA