CarComplaints.com Notes: For years, Nissan trucks and SUVs have had problems with coolant destroying the transmission. And for years, Nissan has done nothing about it.

The 2007 is no different than the 2006 and 2005. Just avoid it.

1.3

2007 Nissan Frontier engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Frontier:

2007 Nissan Frontier Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 182016

Frontier

While in the freeway, speed slowed down to 25 mph. Got out of the freeway and opened hood. Found out radiator coolant low and some white stuff I could see. Right then it came to my mind that I have the Nissan famous radiator coolant leaking into transmission and would not think it would happen to my truck at 38000 miles. Transmission had milky like fluid. Why is there no safety recall when so many cars are affected that put a lot of people on danger. Instead I got the extended warranty of radiator. The dealer could have replaced the radiator 5 years ago. Nissan is aware of the problem for years.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 092016

Frontier

Took my Nissan Frontier to pacific Nissan in san diego for a consistent jerk/knock with sound of liquid gurgling. Notified that I was lucky that the truck made it to the shop. Notified that there is a fluid intermix between my coolant and transmission fluids. How can that be when they are two totally different systems" Nissan is offering that I pay the deductible of 3000$ to get it fixed. I just found out that this is a known issue for all Frontiers, xterras and pathfinders and Nissan is not being pro-active in issuing repairs prior to this problem happening and sticking the consumers with the cost to repair the vehicle. How can this be allowed to happen"

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 292016

Frontier

Transmission failed due to coolant intermixing with transmission fluid. This is the second time this vehicle has had catastrophic transmission failure due to a crack in the cooling system. First time was just over the warranty so I was forced to pay a $2500 copay. The vihicle started showing signs of a secondary failure just prior to 100000 miles and when I brought it to the dealer they lied to me and said there was just residual oil in the radiator from the first failure... now I am past any warranty copay and the transmission is failing at just 100500 miles. That is just two years (less than 18000 miles) after they replaced the radiator and transmission. This is unacceptable that consumers are being forced to pay for a known issue of poor engineering especially when it was supposedly fixed by the dealer with Nissan parts. They have obviously not fixed the problem but just replaced with another defective part. On top of that they denied there was a problem to so I would continue to drive the vehicle until it was past the extended warranty (from 2012 class action lawsuit). While there was no accident in either indecent there was a near collision the first time as I was in the middle of a busy intersection and the second there was traffic behind me that had to avoid rear-ending me as the vehicle stopped, this is a dangerous defect that could result in injury or death.

- Ballston Lake, NY, USA

May 092016

Frontier

Entering 4 lane highway with 70 mph traffic. Kicked Frontier into passing gear to enter ongoing traffic. Frontier stalled and slowed instead of increasing speed. Transmission slippage and jerking caused motor to increase rpms. I had to move my truck over to right of paved lane and onto pulloff area in order to prevent accident. I was told at the Nissan dealership that I had transmission damage due to radiator fluid leaking into transmission. It cost me $2500 to repair a problem that could have cost lives. I understand this was a problem that was not recalled by Nissan.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Feb 022016

Frontier

About 3 weeks ago my truck was not shifting correctly I take to the dealer and they found a code P0717 for a turbine revolution sensor. They found there to be water being pumped into the transmission. Apparently the radiator leaks water into the transmission.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Feb 172016

Frontier

Was told the timing chain and tensioners need to be replaced found out this is a very common problem with Nissan and they will do nothing to remedy the situation

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 022015

Frontier 6-cyl

Timing chain guides, tensioners, guides, shoes and seals, witch made noise the whole time I had the truck and the dealer never said anything until after my warranty expired.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Dec 232015

Frontier

Timing chain, guide and tensioner must be replaced

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Sep 192015

Frontier

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Frontier. While driving at various speeds the vehicle would hesitate to shift gears. After examining the vehicle, the contact discovered that transmission fluid was present in the radiator coolant. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Alexandria, AR, USA

Apr 012015

Frontier

Radiator repaired as leakage from crack causes transmission to go bad, known by Nissan according to service dept

- Upland, CA, USA

May 022015

Frontier

Transmission failure. Driving on freeway vehicle wouldn't shift into gear. I was stuck and on my way home in heavy traffic. Truck started shaking. Took it to aamco on 5/2/15. Cost me over $3770. On 9/6/15 took first trip to the mountains, again my transmission goes out. This time we're in the mountains going up hill when my truck won't shift into gear. Once again I have to have my truck fixed. I don't own a bank and I need my truck to work. What the hell am I going to do to make a living" what is Nissan waiting for someone or a family getting killed??"

- Altadena, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Frontier

The radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and ruined the transmission. I understand that this is a known problem by Nissan and they never notified us. If we had been told about the problem before the radiator leak we would have fixed it and would never have had to replace the transmission. We contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they refused to help pay for this so we were stuck with paying over $5000 for a new transmission.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 162015

Frontier

A couple of months ago, I began to notice a loud vibrating or shuddering sound at speeds around 35-40 mph. It seemed to happen as I stopped accelerating as if it were trying to up-shift for cruising. The sound began to get louder over the next few weeks before I could get it checked out. It now has a very difficult time shifting at those speeds and when it does shift, it's hard and makes a loud knock sound. It then began to run hot one day so after it cooled I check the coolant level and found that it had a light brown, milky looking substance which felt oily. I've recently discovered a lot of information from people with the same problem explaining that it is cause by the coolant and transmission fluid mixing and damaging each component.

- Conway, SC, USA

May 082015

- Oceanside, CA, USA

May 182015

Frontier

2007 Nissan Frontier with 140,000 miles started vibrating and seemed sluggish when accelerating. I took to Firestone thinking maybe it needed tune up. Come to find out transmission is the issue. I have previously had to replace fuel sensor when Nissan refused to pay. I was over the mileage by 2000 miles for recall. Now I have read about issues with transmission and once again Nissan refusing to fix problems. Nissan should be taking care of these issues. I will not own another Nissan!!! my brother also had a 2009 Frontier with the fuel sensor issue and Nissan would not pay to fix. Nissan knows this issues is occurring over the 100,000 miles and know they have defective parts on vehicles.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Apr 232015

Frontier 6-cyl

Transmission was slipping bad, and the coolant was looking brownish red. Transmission fluid was in the radiator and through out both the engine and transmission. When I took it to the dealership to get check-out they said my warranty had expired and that this wouldn't be covered. Would need to replace radiator and transmission.... costing me $ $2,731.25. Although this is a known fact that Nissan is having a good amount of problems with various Nissan model including my Nissan Frontier. Very unhappy Nissan customer of many years..... now I'm starting to have timing belt issues which falls under another Nissan Frontier problem. Will have to get fixed at my own expense. My dealership know these things but are not open about these fact. I take my Frontier in for maintenance nothing ever said and never seem to get recall notices either....

- Seymour, TN, USA

May 052015

Frontier 6-cyl

Nissan Frontier has been jerking sporadically for a month driving locally at different speeds city or highway. I assumed it was cheap fuel and a needed tune up. I decided to take the truck in for a diagnostic test at Firestone and they were unable to determine the cause or issue of the jerking. Requested diagrams of the engine was unreadable and no help. Firestone recommended I take it to the Nissan dealer. I took the truck to the Nissan dealer and they quoted a $5000 plus repair bill. This seem out of the ordinary for simple jerking and no other symptoms. In addition they had noted on the diagnostic and repair bill some other repairs that obvious needed fixing as good condition. Immediately I knew that the diagnostic test performed was false- the mechanic did not diagnose/test my vehicle correctly and the repair quoted was due to an issue they new about from the start. That's when I started doing online research to see if there were any recalls are problems going on with the Nissan Frontier. My guess was correct. Nissan is aware of this fault regarding the transmission and subsequent issue of the radiator. Nissan dealers are then charging customers to fix an issue that will re-appear. Customers should have some recourse other than spend thousands of dollars on product defect and that recourse should be a recall of these defective vehicles to be repaired. Where is the fairness and why does someone have to die or be seriously injured to prove this is a known defect in the product, Nissan knows its a defect.

- Madison, AL, USA

Apr 142015

Frontier 6-cyl

White smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

- Lihue, HI, USA

Mar 132015

Frontier 4WD 6-cyl

2012 class action suit extends warranty for leakage of antifreeze into transmission which causes engine to stop running properly and break down. Apparently this is a common feature on Nissan vehicles. This truck was driven to Florida by a college student on spring break. At 79,000 mark trouble started. He drove it home to Virginia and bingo the odometer went over 80,000 miles. At 80,300 miles he takes it to the dealership and because odometer is over 80,000 miles the manufacturer requires $2500 owner co-pay to repair what could have been a preventable repair before the transmission tanked. Had he taken it to a dealer in Florida at 79,000 the whole thing would have been covered. They require written proof of mechanical failure. These vehicles need to come with a warning label.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Mar 112015

Frontier

Truck would not start. Towed to auto garage. Told radiator has a defective coolest line that runs thru transmission. This caused cross contamination of radiator fluid and transmission fluid, causing breakdown of transmission and radiator. Found out online that this happens with three types of Nissan vehicles made between 2005 and 2010. Nissan will only cover if under 100,000 miles but I have to pay first 3000 on a fix averaging 3800 to 4000. I was never notified of any problems by Nissan. They knew their was a problem and I believe that are stalling and covering this problem. They should be 100% responsible for this liability. Car company's paid for all types of recall for their design flaws, what is the difference here other than the amount needed to do what is right.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA