2011 Nissan Leaf drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Nissan Leaf:

2011 Nissan Leaf Owner Comments

Oct 072015

This is not related to anything specific that happened to my vehicle, but it is related to consumer safety and protection. Nissan settled a class-action lawsuit and amended their battery replacement/repair warranty shortly after they introduced the Leaf to the us. Very soon after this amended warranty went into effect Nissan sent a letter to all Leaf owners and asked us to bring our car in for a "software upgrade" that would give us a better range display. I suspect that this "upgrade" actually keeps the capacity (range) display above the threshold that would otherwise obligate Nissan to repair/replace the battery. Is your Agency the appropriate on to bring this suspicion/complaint to and request an investigation or should I contact someone else. I do not have evidence, but it is more than a hunch. Before this alleged ""fix" my car had lost 2 bars of display, after, only 1, yet it has been driven and recharged much more extensively than before the "fix". also, Nissan has been unwilling to share data on the Leaf or its battery, and insists that they are the only company who can diagnose the battery, and therefore, the only company who can decide if the warranty should be honored in any case. This is troubling. I would appreciate it if any resources could be devoted to looking into this software "fix" - though I understand budget and personnel constraints may inhibit this without evidence beyond my circumstantial experience and my gut feeling. Still, it bears contacting you to ask, as we have seen how other major auto makers are willing to bend rules and laws in order to pad the bottom line. Thank you!!

- Redmond, WA, USA

May 162012

I have run into what I believe is a small design flaw. While user error is clearly involved, a simple software fix could prevent this from happening. Scenario: 1) Leaf is parked in grocery store parking lot on a slight downhill slope. 2) startup sound is turned off. 3) push start button while not pressing on brake pedal adequately - Leaf goes into accessory mode. 4) try to shift into reverse, not looking at dash screen to see that Leaf is in accessory mode. 5) press down on parking brake lever to disengage parking brake. 6) press accelerator. Result: The Leaf is still in accessory mode, but has shifted into neutral after step #4. once parking brake is off and foot is on accelerator, there is nothing to keep the Leaf from rolling forward. This is not hypothetical, it happened to me twice in the last year. One time I hit a shopping cart, but fortunately put the brake on in time and the front license plate holder protected my Leaf from damage. Comment: In my opinion, trying to shift into drive or reverse while the Leaf is in accessory mode should not put the Leaf in neutral--it should still be in park. This simple change would prevent the possibility of this happening. The Leaf can still shift to neutral in accessory mode by moving the shifter to the left and holding it there for 2 seconds.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA