1. Replace coils (5 reports)
  2. replace coils and exhaust system (3 reports)
2000 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Nissan Maxima:

2000 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Feb 112013

Maxima V6

I fixed one of the ignition coils myself and that was super easy, $60 per coil but worth doing it yourself. Check engine light is still on, but nothing seems to be the problem. I reset it by disconnecting the battery, but it just turns on again. I'll have to get that checked out again.

- , North Collins, NY, USA

Nov 072011

I have been replacing coils for awhile now. And the stupid light keeps coming back on. I have this car in the garage now and it has been 3 days and they cannot figure out what is going on.

- , Bristol, RI, USA

Aug 012004

Maxima SE 3.0L V6

had to replace the coil packs car did not want to run

- , Albany, NY, USA

Mar 222010

Maxima SE 3.2L

I wish they recall this car it has been nothing but trouble for me.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 012010

Maxima GLS V6

I took my car to the dealer because the engine light remained on for extended periods of time, seldom ever going out. Then one day while I was on the expressway driving to work, the car began sputtering the engine light flashed on and off three times and became solid again. I had to get off the expressway ASAP and take the street route to work. Of course, I was then 15 minutes late. Within 2 days of dropping it off the dealer, the guy called me telling me I needed to replace three coils on one side, but while I was added I should replace the other six and the O2 sensor for a cost of a mere 1600.00, I thought like hell you'll get 1600.00 dollars from me, when this is obviously a defect in the car, THIS IS YOUR LUXURY 20000.00 plus car, it ONLY HAS 76000. miles on it, THERE ISN'T ANY LOGICAL REASON for this car to have THE ENGINE LIGHT ON, UNLESS THERE IS A DEFECT, and JUST MAYBE THIS CAR SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALLED or the part should be covered under lifetime warranty. Illogical repairs such as this can leave a sour taste in your mouth, to such an extent, that not only are you badmouthing the brand to everyone you work with, family and friends but to everyone you meet.

I am going to email the BBB, Consumer Reports and The Nissan headquarters. If they want to continue to keep me as a lifetime customer they will have to set this situation straight. I AM NOT A WALKING PIGGY BANK, NOR DO I HAVE DUMB DUMB STAMPED ON MY FOREHEAD PERIOD.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 082007

Maxima GXE 3.2L V6

Ignition Coil Failure with Nissan Maxima 2000. Service Engine soon light was glowing. Nissan never took responsibility to fix this.

We bought 6 ignition coils on the internet and got it fixed by a mechanic.

Had lot of problems with this Nissan, will never consider buying Nissan again. Have another car (Toyota Corolla) for 9 years and never had such problems.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 192004

My Maxima only has 40,000 miles on it and I had to replace an ignition coil, fuel rail system and throttle body. It ended up costing me $400. Then two weeks later I had to replace the front rotor which cost me another $350. It figures that right after the warranty runs out that everything starts to break down.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

May 292006

Maxima SE

Nissan balked, then i told them of the seven others like me on the internet and they fixed it without charging me the $750 for the coils. Nissan covered it with a one time deal

I told them it was drive train.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Dec 222003

Maxima SE

Engine warning light comes on. Took car to my mechanic. Dignosed the the # 3 cylinder is misfiring. He spoke to a nissan dealer and stated the problem is bad ignition coil but could not replace due to national backorder. About a week later got the coil replaced. Still the light is on. Now it stated that there is a random misfire on all the cylinders. After another talk with the local nissan dealer, he stated that when a car comes in with same problems they have been replacing all the coils. Still coils on a nation back order. After checking with all local dealers, found the coils at a dealer 50 miles away. Rplaced the rest of the coils and the problem is fixed, or so I thought.

When the coils missfired this caused the exhaust to over heat and now I have to replace the Cataltic converter. This car has 3. On the front and back of the engine and one on the tail pipe. The front and back converters have burned out and can not get the car inspected until the check engine light is off.

The cost of the coil was about $70 per coil and new exhaust system is $1150.

None of this is covered under warranty since I am in sales and drive the car alot. But every time I spoke with the mechanic he would ask mileage. He stated he was told that Nissan had bumped up the mileage covering this problem but I was always over the adjusted coverage mileage.

If anyone knows who to talk to about some sort of help from Nissan, please let me know. Good luck

- , Charlotte, NC, USA