8.0

2. overhaul engine (1 reports)
2002 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Maxima:

2002 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

May 012013

Maxima SE 3.5V6

Purchased car in Jan. 2011. Service records indicate valve covers were replaced on 01/03/2011. Car is now leaking and using oil to the point it is not drivable. Oil was changed every 3,500 miles. Contacted Nissan NA, Inc. and they have not addressed the issue. To replace the motor is expensive, and most mechanics do not want to rebuild the engine. Found this information on the Maxima via the internet:

The precatalyst breaks down and sucks back into the combustion chamber which wears walls/rings, valves and causes excessive oil consumpition and low compression.

Why hasn't Nissan addressed this issue? Seems like a lot of Nissan Maxima owners have this problem.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 152008

Maxima SE 3.5L

I own a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE which I bought new. After 5 fears driving at approx 70000 miles I noticed the engine started to rattle when driving in curves. I have checked the oil level and was low 1.5 quarts. I have always changed the oil at 3000 miles (used synthetic all the time) I was shocked. My car was burning oil. It was of warranty so I keep adding oil one quart per 1800 miles. It does not smoke and it passes the emission tests. What can I do? I keep adding oil. This is not acceptable for a car of this caliber: 255 HP, V6, 3.5 Liter engine. Now the car has 112000 miles. So far the oil consumption is at the same rate. Do not buy 2002 or 2003 Maximas. They all burn oil.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Aug 312011

Maxima SE 3.5L

Engine consumed oil. Mine wasn't as bad as other owner's experienced but still needed to keep an eye on it. Apparently bad or cheap piston rings are the cause. Too bad....great car. Nissan quality is dropping. See my other complaints.

- , Mississauga, Ontario, canada

Jan 112008

Maxima GXE 3.5L V6

By recommendation of our local Nissan dealer, I had a oil consumption test on my car because we were having to add so much oil.between changes. The estimate to fix it was $3600 and you were not going to pay any of this cost, we just ask for you to pay half. I had already looked at problems on the internet and knew that this was a reoccuring problem with 2002 Altimas, and that there was one instance where Nissan fixed it for free. This was our 3rd Nissan vehicle which we were expecting the same great reliability we had in the other two, over 200,000 miles with no major problems, we thought they were #1. Now we don't even think about getting another one.

This car was suppose to last me into retirement, or so I thought when I purchased it. Now I am going to have to go through the agony of trying to find something I can feel secure with and rely on, with a lot more expense I wasn't counting on.

Our son in law had a 2000 Toyota Pick up with over 149,000 miles, it rusted out, Toyota took his truck and are going to pay him 150% of the kelley blue book price $11400.00. That's what I call standing behind your product. I think I'll look hard at buying a Toyota next time.

- , Wytheville, VA, USA