2003 Nissan Maxima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Maxima:

2003 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Nov 012010

I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima gle, with approximately 148,000 miles on it. The transmission "slips:" For lack of a better word when downshifting after being in a higher gear, causing the car to "hesitate", or shut off while I'm driving, stopped at a light, stop sign, etc. Numerous other Maxima owners who have high mileage have complained of similar problems, but Nissan has not addressed this problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 082005

This is a mileage issue. I bought on July 8, 2005 from empire Nissan, Ontario, ca a 2003 350-Z vehicle that a an odometer reading of 11684. On July 11, my insurance agent checked on line with carfax on the history of this car. Per carfax report, mileage as of Dec. 15, 2003 was 12,243 and as of March 2, 2004, it was 12, 244. Upon carfax advice, we can either notify your office or the California dept of motor vehicle. Dmv advised us to bring it to the dealer's attention because their records only show 1 registration upon the purchase of the first original buyer. Then, the mileage was 8 miles. It has not been smogged nor re-registered. I have brought the matter to empire Nissan on the evening of July 13, 2005. I was asked to wait and they said they will research the matter & call me on July 14, 2005. I got a call and am going there in the evening. I was told by other dealers that I have the right to return the car & be reimbursed for everything. Please help me. What is the right recourse for this case?

- Ontario, CA, USA

Dec 052003

The paint on the vehicle is of extremely poor quality. It chips extremely easily, much more so than any other car I have ever owned. The hood and other parts of the vehicle are loaded with paint chips. This is a known problem and scores of other people have complained about it. Nissan needs to do a recall and repaint the vehicles.

- Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

May 102003

Maxima 6-cyl

Purchased Nissan Maxima on December 11, 2002. Noticed, in early may, the paint had chip marks all the way to the metal of the car (on back panels close to both passenger door's. paint is starting to chip along the front edge of both passenger doors.) I live in wi & bought vehicle new on December 11, 2003. So that means there is snow on the ground until, at least early, April. So out of the five months that I have been making payments on this expensive vehicle...three of them have been during the winter when there aren't a lot of stones, pebbles, rocks, etc. I realize there could be some paint chipping...but my goodness!!! I had traded-in my 1996 Maxima for this upgraded model!!! my 1996 didn't have paint chips that were chipped to the metal of the vehicle!!!

- Bowler, WI, USA

Oct 292002

Maxima 6-cyl

Under low light driving conditions such as early morning or at dusk, during rain, snow, or haze, when headlights are required for safe driving, my instrument panel lights can blend with the dials and under the right light conditions can become unreadable. I drove for over one hour on one day and could not distinguish my speed. The instrument panel lighting is poor. I have notified Nissan and sent letters but have not yet had a response. The dealer investigated the problem and it was decided that this is how the panel was designed. After the dealer completed his work, I received a voice message from Nissan customer service. I returned the call and left them a voice message to return my call. They never did, so on November 18, I sent a letter with attachments to mr semple, the president of Nissan design America. As of today, I have not heard from him or any of his staff. Yesterday, I mailed a response to Nissan on a customer service form they had sent to me questioning how I was treated. I addressed a letter to Mr. Bosley who is the vp of customer service. I would be happy to provide you a copy of all documents.

- Aurora, OH, USA