Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2004 Nissan Maxima accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Nov 012008

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

One of the reasons I purchased my Maxima in 2004 was that this model seems to have a great track record and I often see older models on the road that seem to be in terrific condition and their longevity seemed to be an asset. Initially my experience with my vehicle was great.

In 2007 I began to notice that the “chrome finish” on the front grill was beginning to peel off. This was also beginning to happen on the “chrome” accents that are embedded on the roof of the vehicle. In late 2008 the power window motor located in the driver’s door began to malfunction and now it is not functional at all. In 2009, the power door locks located on the driver’s side (front and rear doors) also began to malfunction. I was informed that the actuators had failed; however they seem to operate in cold weather. I have also experienced issues with the air conditioning system and I have had several leaks in the o-rings that have been addressed several times since 2006.

In May 2011, the power seat and power steering wheel column do not operate. I have visited with the local service representatives at the Nissan dealership in Santa Fe and they do not have any suggestions other than to have their service technicians examine my vehicle. The hourly rate for this service is very expensive and they do not guarantee that they can determine the issues I am experiencing.

All of the aforementioned issues have reduced my level of satisfaction with your product and certainly does not follow in the tradition of the quality of the Nissan Maxima. The malfunction of the electrical systems in the power window and the power locks have been extremely frustrating will be very expensive to replace and repair. I have owned other vehicles made by other manufacturers (Mitsubishi and Dodge) that have experienced more mileage and did not malfunction in this manner. The price I paid for my Maxima far exceeded the price I paid for any of my prior vehicles and I would expect a higher level of quality from Nissan. I find it very ironic that all of the aforementioned issued occurred after the expiration of the warranty.

- , Santa Fe, NM, USA