CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

1. replace timing chain (1 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Jul 012012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima. I have already had to have the transmission replaced.At about 90,000 miles the engine started making a clicking/knocking noise which continued to get louder. On NUMEROUS OCCASIONS while driving the car, it went into, what is described as "limp mode". The car just died in the middle of traffic. I was very fearful of being hit by another car. On a couple of occasions I had my 3 year old granddaughter in the car with me. This problem could have caused a serious accident.

I was told by a mechanic that the timing chain MUST be replaced. My car is sitting in my driveway and I am unable to drive it due to the timing chain problem. I cannot currently afford to have the timing chain replaced. The issues I have had with my 2004 Nissan Maxima have caused undue safety concerns and stress. I am aware of the class action lawsuit against Nissan related to faulty timing chains. They need to take responsibility and repair my car.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA