CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2004 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 12 of 16)

Sep 282011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle began to jerk significantly with hesitation. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact planned to notify the manufacturer regarding the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Maxima

I bought my 2004 Nissan Maxima sl 3.5 in January 2011 with 80,000 miles. This is by far the nicest car I've owned and I was excited about the low miles, I thought it would be a great car and have very little issues. In August 2011 at about 86,000 miles it started jerking really bad when I switch in and out of park, drive & reverse. It also stalls and jerks while I'm driving. I notice it a lot when I'm stopped at a light and then start to go, or when slowing down, or when it's automatically switching gears, pretty much all of the time. It's very scary and irritating, I feel like the car could die at any moment, while I'm switching into drive or even while I'm driving. Mechanics recommended a transmission flush, but aren't sure how to do it on the Nissan because it doesn't have certain hoses that their machine hooks up to. I've done research on the internet and found hundreds of complaints of this problem and nobody has had good results. Nissan should either recall this, or figure out how to fix it & pay for it. I just need to know how to fix it, I don't like feeling like I'm just out of luck and have to live with it, and I don't want to spend thousands of dollars. This was already a large amount of money and I can't afford to pay to try everything, and I don't want to keep driving while it does this, I feel it will only get worse.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Mar 072007

Maxima 6-cyl

Prior to my Maxima's transmission getting stuck in 5th gear, the car has had rough transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd gear while accelerating and 2nd to 1st decelerating. But this usually occurred only after the car has been driven around for about 7-10 minutes or the car being warmed up already. There were no error codes or check engine or transmission light, until the car was stuck in 5th gear. When the car was stuck in 5th gear, I was accelerating from a stop light and almost got into an accident. The car behind me almost struck me from behind when my car lurched forward from 1st gear to 5th gear. The car could not gain speed fast enough coming from the stop light and the car behind did not expect my car to almost stop abruptly as it shifted from 1st to 5th gear on it's own. Since the car was still covered under warranty for just under 1000 more miles, I took the car to the dealership to have it repaired. They only replaced the cam sensor circuit. The car did shift thru all it's gears for about 3 months. Then started having the same problem of rough shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd back to 1st. By then the car already went past the warranty mileage limit to have Nissan cover the repair. I took the car to the dealership again but since there was no error codes and they did not let the car warm up to reproduce the rough shifting, they said they couldn't do anything. Eventually, 2yrs after the dealership changed the cam sensor circuit and got the car moving but still had the rough shifting, I had saved enough money to have the transmission looked at again. This time I took it to a garage that specialized in Nissan. Again, since there were no error codes, they just replaced the motor mounts, change transmission fluid and radiator mounts. It's been about 2yrs and not the transmission is getting worse on the rough shifting....still no error codes.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 262011

Maxima 6-cyl

Vehicle transmission would not operate properly and would continually slip into 5th gear.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Sep 292007

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated when the accelerator pedal was engaged after the vehicle stopped it would jerk and would not shift into gear. While driving approximately 5 mph the vehicle wouldn't accelerate to a higher speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they advised her that she needed to replace the transmission due to the first and second gear having issues. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and was waiting for a response. The failure mileage was approximately 3,600.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 162011

Maxima

I own a 2004 Nissan Maxima and when I purchased the car in 2009 at 73,000 miles, it did not jerk, but the more I drove it I began to notice the jerking of the transmission from 1st to 2nd gear. It started only when I was going 20 miles per hour, but now it jerks from 1st to 2nd gear shifting to go faster than 20 mph. I contacted my independent mechanic, I had my transmission fluid flushed, and even tried the lucas transmission fluid. Nothing worked. I contacted a Nissan dealer and they said my transmission would have to be replaced to fix the problem.

- Magnolia, AR, USA

Sep 272010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that when placing the vehicle in drive, the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally and also, when depressing the brake after driving 55 mph. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 80,000. Kmj

- Queens Village, NY, USA

Aug 242011

Maxima 6-cyl

I have done some research and found that numerous people have experienced a problem with this model's transmission, to the point where Nissan has issued a tsb. I have repeatedly been operating in traffic when the vehicle's acceleration pauses, the RPM shoots way up, the drops down after a few seconds, and then the transmission re-engages in a jerking fashion. This is a considerable problem given my operation in and around a major metropolitan area with significant traffic. Sudden unexpected changes in velocity, and failure to maintain velocity, is an accident waiting to happen.

- Medford, MA, USA

May 032011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift gears properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer confirmed the shift control valve had malfunctioned. The manufacturer was contacted but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 79,000.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Jan 012010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would violently jerk when shifting into drive and when shifting from second to third gear. The vehicle was taken to various independent repair shops and the contact was informed that the transmission either needed to be rebuilt or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Jul 082011

Maxima 6-cyl

Maxima jerks when slowing down to a stop or when shifting from drive to reverse or vise versa. Maxima seems to struggle sometimes to get to high gears. At high speeds Maxima seems fine but annoying jerks occur when coming to a slow stop.

- Pelham, NY, USA

Mar 012010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated the vehicle would jerk and it fail to function normally while shifting gears at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the vehicle needed a new transmission. The transmission fluid was flushed, but the transmission was not replaced. The failure continued to occur. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Aug 162008

Maxima 6-cyl

The automatic transmisson on my 2004 Nissan Maxima gets stuck in 5 gear and there is a very violent hard jerk when shifting from drive to reverse then back to drive. I have to park the car and shut it off for about 30-60 seconds for the gears to resto reset the gears back to first gear. I'm able to see the gears are stuck in 5th gear by shifting to manual and display on my dashboard shows the gear is in 5th gear. The engine light came on and I took my Maxima to the Nissan dealer. Nissan told me the transmisson needed to be replaced based on the codes and was going to charge over $4000. I got a second opinion from and the failure codes indicated the cam shaft sensor was bad. They replaced the cam shaft sensor and the problem went away for a little while but the stuck in 5th gear problem still exists. Replacing the cam shaft sensor didn't resolve the hard violent jerk problem. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would violently jerk when attempting to shift between gears and she would lose power. The dealer advised the contact that she needed to replace the transmission valve body. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 77,614. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Reno, NV, USA

Aug 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle was violently jerking between first and second gears. The dealer diagnosed the vehicle with a faulty transmission and advised the contact to have the transmission replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The current mileage was 78,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Camden, SC, USA

Sep 142010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk while shifting in and out of each gear. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where the contact was informed that the transmission or the valve body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Conshohocken, PA, USA

Sep 122011

Maxima 6-cyl

We were driving home last night and the car hard shifted down from third to first on it's own. It was such a violent downshift the car actually turned off. We were nearly rear-ended and had to pull off to the side of the road. I got home and looked it up online and it appears to be a known issue with this car but there are no recalls. I took it in today and spent over $1000 but the check engine lights came on during the ride home and it is hard shifting again.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 152011

Maxima 6-cyl

I have had issues with my car since I, purchased it back in April 2004. I wrote a letter to the Nissan headquarters and did not receive any response, currently my vehicle jerks when I try to reverse then it skips before it gets into gear. Also to add, once the car gets to a certain speed I can feel the car rev-up before it even catches gear which is mainly in the first and second gears. I have been to the Nissan dealership which they replaced my motor mounts and I am still having the same problem as before. Nissan needs to recall Maxima 2004's.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 122010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge forward abnormally. In addition, when driving at low speeds, the vehicle would hesitate to accelerate and there was an increase of engine rpms to 3000. The vehicle would also jerk violently when shifting into the next gear. The check engine warning light was illuminated. A local mechanic diagnosed that the transmission and the timing belt would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 117,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jul 042011

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Maxima and I am having very bad transmission issues. When I take off it jerks real bad with hard shifting right around the 20-25 mph shift gear and then when I am slowing down about to come to a stop it also kicks and jerks when it gears down to 1st and 2nd. I also got a transmission rebuilt but it did not solve the problem.

- Providence, RI, USA