CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2004 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 15 of 16)

Sep 162009

Maxima

I own a 2004 Nissan Maxima. Here recently my transmission has been slipping, I began to look online for recalls and found that several other owners have had the same problem. I think Nissan should recall this problem, because my car only has 85,000 miles and has been well taken care of. I took it to the shop and was told they wasn't for sure but thought it was the valve body that needed to be replaced, and it was going to cost 2,000-3,000 dollars, I was astonished that this would happen. I thought Nissan was supposed to be a well made car that is why we bought it. Also the mechanic I took my car to said he did not know what the problem was cause it was not showing anything on the machine, so he called Nissan and they told him what it was and they had several of that part that was needed to fix the car in stock, so they obviously know at Nissan that they would be needing several of those parts to have so many readily available and I think Nissan should be ashamed of themselves for that and not recalling the part. Obviously Nissan would not be making a part that cost so much money and not be able to sell them so shame on them.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Aug 132007

Maxima

I have 2004 Nissan Maxima with 90000 miles on it, 6 speed. About two years ago all most every gear started to jerk when I switch between gears, mostly 2nd and 3rd gear. I hear from other people that this models have this problems very frequently. The Nissan should have recall on this models for transmission problems, cause all most every tranny with this model have problems and need to be replaced.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 282007

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that at low speeds, she experienced unintended vehicle acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the transmission was flushed; however, the repair did not remedy the failure. The failure mileage was 75000 and the current mileage was 107000. Updated 3/12/10 the consumer stated the transmission would get stuck in gear when trying to resume speed after stopping and dropping 10-20 mph slower. When the accelerator was applied, the transmission idled, but the vehicle staggered in 1st gear. Updated 05/10/10

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 012009

Maxima

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima and I am having problems with the car jerking into and out of gear. I have read several complaints on carsurvey.org with the same exact problem and Nissan doesn't seem to be helping anyone. With as many complaints that I have read you would think there would be a recall on the transmission. I hope someone could look into this because this seems to be quite a problem in 2004 Nissan Maximas.

- Burlington , NJ, USA

Jul 012009

Maxima

NHTSA, please, please go to the website I have pasted below and look at all the complaints on the 2004 Maxima. Nissan has turned a blind eye to the american consumer and are looking the other way on the defects in automobile. We look to and rely on the NHTSA to help resolve serious defects in this automobile that should be recalled. Nissan doesn't want to do the right thing and we need you. It is not a coincidence that owners of the 2004 Nissan Maxima are all having the same transmission problems and other issues. I will not let my wife drive this car anymore due to the safety hazard the faulty transmission poses not only to the driver but anyone in it's path on the road. The car jerks, stalls, and on occasion flat loses power in normal driving conditions. W.carsurvey.org/reviews/Nissan/Maxima/R61092/comments/.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Jul 262009

Maxima

2004 Nissan Maxima has a transmission problem it jerks and now it does not shift at all, now I can't afford to fix this problem. Nissan has many complaint. I need help.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 222009

Maxima

Myself and other owners of 2004 Nissan Maximas encounter premature transmission failure. The transmissions in these cares jerk when going into each gear and downshifting. At any given time, the car may hesitate. Nissan dealers only solution to this problem is transmission flush. The transmission flush only subsides the problem for a short period of time. At anytime, the car can delay and cause an accident of some sort.

- Farmville, VA, USA

Mar 102009

Maxima

My transmission started missing jerking when I slow down and pick up speed it jerk harder this problem would stop and start up again so I took the car to the shop and had the trans rebuild and it still do the same thing after paying two thousand dollars for this problem you thank that would be fix but I have to put it back in the shop again.

- Philladelphia, PA, USA

Mar 112008

Maxima

Transmission slipped and vehicle surged forward striking a vehicle. ABS system faulted as I stopped.

- Midvale , UT, USA

Feb 082009

Maxima

Im having safety issue with 2004 Nissan Maxima, the transmission get stuck in high gear and shift very hard, my car only has 65 K miles and this seen like a problem that has happened to a lot of maxim.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 282009

Maxima

After only 2 years of ownership our 2004 Nissan Maxima are having some issues. First the transmission now we are having a hard time starting the car. After the diagnostic test we needed to replace the camshaft position sensor. However that does not solve the transmission problem. We are driving and all of a sudden our car loses tension. We accelerate and it doesn't get us any further. We are looking at rebuilding our transmission and trading in the car because it's really not worth all the issues the car is starting to have. According to the internet there's been a lot of these problems with these cars.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012008

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. The contact noticed that when the transmission warms, it is difficult to change gears. When he shifted from drive into reverse, the vehicle made a loud noise. The dealer discovered that the transmission was discolored and stated that a new one would be needed at the cost of $3,900. A report was filed with the manufacturer and the failure was investigated for two weeks. The manufacturer concluded that they would not assist with the repair. The failure mileage was 56,000 and current mileage was 57,000.

- Kew Gardens, NY, USA

Jun 112008

Maxima

My 2004 Nissan Maxima was stalled on the road twice in the middle of the road while driving around June 2008 with a mileage of 54,500. Before the stalls happened, the vehicle jerked when shifting from first to second gear and vs versa. At the time of the stalling, the check engine light went on. I brought it back to Nissan dealer, thinking it is still within the power train warranty. The dealer however told me the warranty does not cover this problem. It costs me over $600. The report said that camshaft position sensor is malfunctioning.

- Morristown,, NJ, USA

Dec 122008

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. When the contact shifts from first into second gear, the vehicle shakes. When attempting to shift into third gear, the RPM's increase and never fully shifts into third gear. When shifting from drive into park, the vehicle makes a thud sound. The current mileage was 91,350 and failure mileage was 20,000.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Oct 202008

Maxima

I am having the same issues as many other 2004 Nissan Maxima owners. The issue has to do with the transmission failing and the dealer charging over $5,000 to replace it. Nissan knows these transmissions are defective and they are not doing anything about it. They are not considering the huge risk factor for people driving these cars of having an accident due to the malfunctioning of the transmissions. The transmission will not downshift or upshift properly in many instances like stopping in a traffic light, going uphill or even just cruising. The concern is the amount of people that are having the same issue and the unnecessary exposure to an accident. Thank you, omar

- Haines City, FL, USA

Jan 102008

Maxima

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with a bad transmission. I bought it new. It has 85,000 miles. Since the beginning of 20078 the car started giving me problems on first and second gear. It jerks, slips and will no change gears when it needs it. I took it to the dealer, they had me replace the ABS system telling me it will fix the problem, because the ABS light was on. Spend $2,000. The problem got worse. They said that there was a short on the grounds of my cd player (that is a trip computer and info display) it cost me $1,700. The problem was not fixed. I went on-line and there are 100's of people complaining about the same issue. I need my car to work, now I have to spend $4,000 fixing he transmission. It is ridiculous that I just finished paying for my car and I have to invest have of the value into something that should not be broken. Please help me.....a lot of people are having this problem and Nissan is saying they can not recall this transmission because it is not a safety issue. To me it is, because it has to do with driving the car.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Sep 082008

Maxima

I just bought a 2004 Nissan Maxima and the transmission has been slipping and jerking. I went to the dealer and they said I have to get a new one, and it will cost me 4500 dollars !!!!

- Northridge, CA, USA

Aug 102006

Maxima

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. While driving less than 20 mph, the vehicle jerked as if the transmission would hesitate. The failure then began occurring while driving between 40-50 mph. The dealer stated that they could not determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer stated that nothing could be done to assist due to the mileage and the year of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 90,000.

- Bryansroad, MD, USA

Mar 102008

Maxima

Transmission problem between gear 1 & 2. I had to replace transmission @ 70,000 miles. Terrible slippage and bucking. Wouldn't accelerate into gear in a safe time frame.

- Massapequa, NY, USA