- January 17: Nissan GT-R Melted Dashboard Lawsuit Filed in Florida news | 4 days ago
- January 2: South Korea: BMW, Nissan and Porsche Falsified Documents news | 19 days ago
- December 28: Nissan Recalls Altima, Maxima and Rogue For Airbag Problems recalls | 24 days ago
- December 28: Nissan Sentra Master Cylinder Recalls May Not Have Worked investigations | 24 days ago
- December 26: Nissan Power Valve Screws Lawsuit Settlement Reached news | 26 days ago
2004 Nissan Maxima
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.
Maxima owners report spending $3,000 to replace the transmission, typically around when the odometer hits 100,000 miles.
There's a class action lawsuit filed in late 2011, & it is still in the "discovery" stage. Apparently, these things take time ... far too much time.
Worst 2004 Maxima engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- makes rattling noise when starting13
- loss of power, running rough6
- ticking noise coming from engine4
- engine turns over, won't start3
- makes high pitch whining noise3
- idles up and down2
- broken motor mount1
- excessive oil consumption1
- shakes when idling1
- throttle body malfunction1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling48
- NHTSA: Engine41
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control37
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine16
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Nissan Maxima Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Maxima compares to other years?
Check out our Nissan Maxima overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Maxima.